English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 22 September 2021, 11:57   #61
Santi
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Santi Send a message via AIM to Santi Send a message via Yahoo to Santi
I have tested it on an a500 rev6. I turned on the computer and it showed the floppy disk of the rom 1.3.<br />
Hallelujah. I wanted to try some software and I connected the hd supra, with 2mb of ram. It did not start and the screen is black.<br />
I have read that there may be problems with rams and hd's. I can assume it and use it for gaming with the gotek, and not hd.<br />
When I remove the hd and ram, and connect it again by itself, wb 1.3 image no longer appears<br />
Ah, I have tried with an a2000 and a cpu relocator (1mb ram chip and without any expansion), rev 4.5 and it doesn't work either. black screen.<br />
Has anyone tried mobo rev6?<br />
I had a really hard time getting the pins into the mc68k socket. Perhaps by touching with my hands, you have distilled some ic by static electricity.<br />
I think I will have to change the ic logic.
Old 22 September 2021, 14:37   #62
Glen M

I recently got one of these cards but before I go testing it are there any pitfalls to watch for?

Flicking through the various comments here am I correct in saying that this accelerator makes trap door memory redundant?

Can I ask out of interest if the 14mhz clock generated on the card or is it taking the 7mhz clock and doubling it? If the 14mhz clock is on the card is there any reason to limit it to 14mhz, could it go faster?
Old 22 September 2021, 18:39   #63
keithamiga1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I recently got one of these cards but before I go testing it are there any pitfalls to watch for?

Flicking through the various comments here am I correct in saying that this accelerator makes trap door memory redundant?

Can't answer your last paragraph, but I assembled mines the other day, and it's 'Alive' I don't have an external HDD to test, but apparently it's not compatible. Which kinda makes sense, considering all the HDD and extended memory magic, is done by the actual external HDD unit.
Old 22 September 2021, 20:37   #64
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

The 14 MHz signal is from a clock doubler. It's not independent of the 7 MHz clock and would require a redesign to go faster.
Old 23 September 2021, 10:46   #65
Mathesar

The problem is not so much with HD's but with DMA capable HD controllers. Currently the accelerator does not support DMA controllers at all. It could be fixed in an updated revision but currently I do not have much time.
If there is a way to disable DMA on the supra it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi View Post
I have tested it on an a500 rev6. I turned on the computer and it showed the floppy disk of the rom 1.3.<br />
Hallelujah. I wanted to try some software and I connected the hd supra, with 2mb of ram. It did not start and the screen is black.<br />
I have read that there may be problems with rams and hd's. I can assume it and use it for gaming with the gotek, and not hd.<br />
When I remove the hd and ram, and connect it again by itself, wb 1.3 image no longer appears<br />
Ah, I have tried with an a2000 and a cpu relocator (1mb ram chip and without any expansion), rev 4.5 and it doesn't work either. black screen.<br />
Has anyone tried mobo rev6?<br />
I had a really hard time getting the pins into the mc68k socket. Perhaps by touching with my hands, you have distilled some ic by static electricity.<br />
I think I will have to change the ic logic.
Old 23 September 2021, 10:52   #66
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithamiga1200 View Post
Can't answer your last paragraph, but I assembled mines the other day, and it's 'Alive' I don't have an external HDD to test, but apparently it's not compatible. Which kinda makes sense, considering all the HDD and extended memory magic, is done by the actual external HDD unit.
Congratulations with your build Pictures or it did 't happen
For an HDD on the cheap to go with the accelerator, what about one of those SD to parallel boxes?
Old 23 September 2021, 12:08   #67
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
If you want trapdoor memory space available when the accelerator is "off", you need to keep your trapdoor memory - when "off", it simply disables the on-board fastram.
Old 24 September 2021, 04:42   #68
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Congratulations with your build Pictures or it did 't happen
For an HDD on the cheap to go with the accelerator, what about one of those SD to parallel boxes?
Need to combine this design with an IDE controller, then add a Kickstart ROM socket or onboard Flash ROM to run the OS at full speed and it will be perfect!
Old 24 September 2021, 21:34   #69
Santi
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Santi Send a message via AIM to Santi Send a message via Yahoo to Santi
I think this is a fantastic project. Anything that is to study and improve, or expanding our dear Amiga, it is commendable and thanks to its creator. Doubling the speed of an a500 is already noticeable, as long as it is with applications. I doubt very much that it is noticeable in performance with games, basically because the programs will have synchronization routines so the real clock will not affect them.
Therefore, making it compatible with hard drives I think is very necessary. And maybe expandable to at least 4mb on the same board.
And it's great for the idea, and for the price / cost of making one.
Any other implementation would make it more expensive ... like other existing solutions already on the market.
My sincerest congratulations.

... On the other hand ... I haven't gotten mine to work. I suspect that the 68000 socket is defective and does not make good contact with the throttle pins. It worked for me in several starts. After no longer any of the repeated attempts. I think I will unsolder all ICs and exchange them for new ones. It is the good thing about it, how cheap it is to manufacture.<br />

I hope, more people who try it and leave their comments and opinions here in this thread.
Old 26 September 2021, 13:36   #70
PeteAU

That's a cute board, might have to build one! Those PLCC 68000's are pretty speedy aren't they?
Old 27 September 2021, 16:25   #71
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
That's a cute board, might have to build one! Those PLCC 68000's are pretty speedy aren't they?
Yes, they can be overclocked quite a bit. Up to 50MHz sometimes.
But in this design it won't go faster than 14MHz.
Old 28 September 2021, 20:21   #72
nikosidis

Card is fantastic.
Made a little video playing Dread.
You will see standard A500 and with the accelerator.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 September 2021, 20:03   #73
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Card is fantastic.
Made a little video playing Dread.
You will see standard A500 and with the accelerator.

[ Show youtube player ]
Nice video! Dread runs nice on it doesn't it? I'm glad you like it!
Old 29 September 2021, 20:07   #74
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi View Post
... On the other hand ... I haven't gotten mine to work. I suspect that the 68000 socket is defective and does not make good contact with the throttle pins. It worked for me in several starts. After no longer any of the repeated attempts. I think I will unsolder all ICs and exchange them for new ones. It is the good thing about it, how cheap it is to manufacture.<br />

I hope, more people who try it and leave their comments and opinions here in this thread.
I am sorry to hear that yours is not working anymore. Can you check the voltage on the 14MHz test point? It should read in the neighbourhood of 2.5V. Maybe your card has a problem with the clock doubler causing erratic behaviour. Also, if you do try to replace components, start with replacing U5 and then check again. U5 drives ~AS7 and when you connect the Supra, the two might conflict and potentially damage U5.
Old 29 September 2021, 22:59   #75
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Nice video! Dread runs nice on it doesn't it? I'm glad you like it!
Dread runs very nice Thanks for the design.

I'm very happy with the card. Everything I'm trying just work.

I had one problem. That is at the end of the demo "EON"

That was solved with CTRL + Amiga + Amiga some sec. to disable the fast ram

Also Tinyus run perfect!! That game is sluggish on plain A500.
Old 30 September 2021, 18:03   #76
nikosidis

I made another video about some benefits I found using the card

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 September 2021, 18:04   #77
nikosidis

I made another video about some benefits I found using the card.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 October 2021, 14:07   #78
utri007
mä vaan

I got a board few days a ago and it works just fine and with hw compo I planned.

I have a GVP HD8+ SCSI / Ram expansion and KCS Power PC emulator board.

How ever, GVP's ram priority is 0, this board ram's priority is -5. Any advises how to change this? Other than these three form aminet http://aminet.net/search?query=memory+priority
Old 08 October 2021, 14:39   #79
Jope
-

Your best way really is to try the tools you found.
Old 08 October 2021, 15:40   #80
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I got a board few days a ago and it works just fine and with hw compo I planned.

I have a GVP HD8+ SCSI / Ram expansion and KCS Power PC emulator board.

How ever, GVP's ram priority is 0, this board ram's priority is -5. Any advises how to change this? Other than these three form aminet http://aminet.net/search?query=memory+priority
It seems to have a problems with DMA and SCSI.

If I change accelerators ram priority to higher than Zorro II ram, hard drive access locks computer.

OK, options are :

make sure that SCSI doesn't try DMA to accelerator's memory?? How?
change GVP to use PIO? How?