English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 June 2020, 20:32   #1
Spyros

Mr.Computer's Game Unboxings, Reviews & CRT Gameplay on Real Hardware

Starting a thread for game unboxing and gameplay videos from my collection which so far comprises of approximately 200 (mostly Amiga) titles.
Stopped collecting more than 10 years ago and it's something I wanted to do ever since, but there wasn't much free time or mood/motivation to do it.

The channel is called Mr.Computer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5y...Inl9Ee7HkoI_QQ
The related playlists are
Games: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...C5x_l0Iy53wbfm
Unboxings: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...H7MYkJVi1tPPiX

Here's a video showing a few glimpses of things to come
[ Show youtube player ]

...and few photos that I have handy:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr.Computer.Collection1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	67875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr.Computer.collection2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	67876  

Last edited by Spyros; 16 October 2020 at 07:34.
Old 21 June 2020, 20:49   #2
Spyros

Here's what's been uploaded so far

Fighter Bomber on the Amiga 500
This one's the first in a longplay series. Features a short Unboxing (a proper one will be in the review video), the game's iconic Intro and Gameplay of the 1st mission in an F-111.
[ Show youtube player ]

Mental Image Game Disk 1 on the Amiga 500
This one's an excellent PD gamedisk, hence no unboxing, but it was one of my favourites on the A500. Played Invaders and Gridrunner to death. Simple and addictive... highly recommended.
[ Show youtube player ]

Ace - Air Combat Emulator on the Commodore 64
Features Unboxing of the C64 version, Overview and Comparison with the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC and finally, Gameplay of a mission in the highest difficulty mode.
[ Show youtube player ]

Amegas on the Amiga 500
Features Unboxing, Overview and comparison with Arkanoid, the Games Music and finally a Gameplay sample
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 September 2020, 20:21   #3
Spyros

F-29 Retaliator II - Special Preview Mission from Zero Magazine's coverdisk. This is a longplay on my Amiga 500 connected to the 1084S-P2. An easy and enjoyable mission with references to Epic, also developed by the same company.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 October 2020, 21:25   #4
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

The New Zealand Story! Lovely game and a very good conversion. I used to play it a lot on the Amiga 500.
The video contains unboxing of the Atari ST version and comparison with the Amiga, Commodore, Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum on real computers, comparison among the games consoles' conversions on emulators (sorry was getting tired of capturing and editing) and some trivia about the game.
Old 15 October 2020, 22:10   #5
Pyromania

Coolness!
Old 15 October 2020, 23:13   #6
lesta_smsc

Incredible collection there! I dread to think of the actual cost of all of this
Old 16 October 2020, 07:29   #7
Spyros

@Pyromania
Nice avatar! Amiga Zeus

@lesta_smsc
There's more, not shown in the photos! I don't know about the cost, because I collected them gradually between the late 80s and 2010. But there was a time in the early 2000s that they were given away for peanuts.
Old 02 January 2021, 20:55   #8
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Sorry, I've been too busy with work to upload videos, but more will be coming. They just take lots of free time to make.
I quickly put together a New Year's video for you though! It's got a brief retrospective, shows glimpses of upcoming content, some of my computers and of course wishes for 2021.
Happy New Year!
Old 08 March 2021, 19:08   #9
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Frontier: Elite II. The video contains an unboxing of the Amiga version, a comparison with the Atari ST and PC versions, and finally a side by side comparison of the game's intro.

I was waiting for a sequel to Elite in those days and I wasn't disappointed! Spent many hours on this one on my A500 and I didn't even mind the FPS. When I got the A1200 it was very smooth, especially on my Apollo 040, so I had to play it again... from the beginning!

P.S. On this video it's running on a Blizzard 030.
Old 09 March 2021, 01:40   #10
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

Frontier: Elite II. The video contains an unboxing of the Amiga version, a comparison with the Atari ST and PC versions, and finally a side by side comparison of the game's intro.

I was waiting for a sequel to Elite in those days and I wasn't disappointed! Spent many hours on this one on my A500 and I didn't even mind the FPS. When I got the A1200 it was very smooth, especially on my Apollo 040, so I had to play it again... from the beginning!

P.S. On this video it's running on a Blizzard 030.
Great videos - it's nice how you go through them in detail so you fully appreciate the content.

This game in particular reminds me a lot of EPIC.
Old 09 March 2021, 18:07   #11
Valken

I just watched the Frontier video and that was awesome. I wonder if it would be possible to port the textures over from the PC to a RTG or AGA version on the Amiga?

But nevertheless, great comparison.
Old 09 March 2021, 22:03   #12
Spyros

Glad you like it guys! This one felt bit rushed due to lack of free time, but still a pain to make nevertheless.

Porting the textures could be possible. I do remember a GL port from a reverse engineered ST version at some point. It was probably during the PPC years, but I can't recall if it was released on the Amiga.
Old 09 March 2021, 22:38   #13
lesta_smsc

Just to update, whilst going through by disks I came across Frontier II ... might have to fire it up again lol
Old 20 March 2021, 19:10   #14
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure. The video contains an unboxing of the Amiga release, and a mini comparison with the Atari ST, PCs, Mac and FM Towns versions.

Not much to say about this one. It is one of the best games of the genre. I finished it back in the day, but I still play it again every now and then.
Old 21 March 2021, 09:05   #15
Gordon
Settler

Wow great channel. I appreciate the effort you put into it, especially the voice.
Old 21 March 2021, 17:56   #16
Spyros

@Gordon Thanks, glad you like it! Mr. Computer is a real calculator I've had since the 80s and his talking face is actually my Commodore 64.

@lesta_smsc Frontier2? Was that the one called First Encounters? I never got to play it because it wasn't released for the Amiga and I didn't have a PC until 2000. I remember reading about it on Braben's site in the late 90s or early 2000s. I think I downloaded it at some point, but didn't have the time to get into it, I can't remember. It looked like a nice game though.
Old 22 March 2021, 02:32   #17
nivam

Excellent videos, thank you
Old 27 March 2021, 14:58   #18
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Here's a playthrough of Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade on my Amiga 500. It is the same Amiga on which I finished it in 1991.

This one was originally planned to be included in the unboxing video posted earlier, but it was too long and the filesize too big so I had to split them into two separate videos.
Anyway, I hope it'll manage to take you back to the day when you played it on your Amiga.

@nivam
Thank you too! Glad you enjoy them.
Old 19 April 2021, 19:45   #19
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Unboxing of Leisure Suit Larry 2 for the Amiga. The video includes a comparison with the Atari ST and PC versions.

I loved the graphics on this one. I think with SCI0 they achieved perfection for this series. When they switched to the cartoon style, it didn't look convincing enough for me.
I recently read that it had received some criticism for not having as much sexual content as the first Larry, but I didn't even notice it in those days.
Old 20 June 2021, 09:04   #20
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Unboxing the Amiga version of Leisure Suit Larry 3 and a comparison with the Atari ST and the PC (EGA)

Great Larry game! As good as the first one, with excellent graphics and music. That's the last one I've played, as the change to cartoon graphics in the following games put me off.