English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 April 2020, 23:18   #21
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
don't do "Colonial Conquest" for me. It's just that I remember my friend in the 90's not able to play it and raging. Probably a good game.
If my system works, Colonial Conquest will simply just work as a by product
Old 10 April 2020, 00:25   #22
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Assembler. This is an Atari ST game from 1995 adapted to run on the Amiga. Galahad has done some incredible ST adaptions over the last few years.

It's quite interesting that the graphics were by Richard Davey who went on to be a legend in the Atari scene creating LGD (little green desktop) one of the first dedicated Atari ST websites.
So this is an actual Atari ST game that is being ported to Amiga? Can I get it somewhere and test it on my Atari STE?
I'm curious right now.

Edit: I just saw edited 1st post with more info.
Edit 2: Found the demo.
Old 10 April 2020, 13:53   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Music needed

So, only thing to do on this game is the ingame music.

If you play the Atari ST version and hit F9, it swaps between music and sfx.

Just looking for a straight conversion of the ST original, must be 3 channel, would like first channel to be free to play SFX, so no effects, no Protracker commands on that channel please

Anyone fancy doing that?

Oh, and can a mod change the thread title as the title when you select the thread is different, please replace "So I was a little bored etc, etc" with "Atari ST conversion: Super Stario Land

Ta
Old 10 April 2020, 15:45   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Oh, and can a mod change the thread title as the title when you select the thread is different, please replace "So I was a little bored etc, etc" with "Atari ST conversion: Super Stario Land
You know, I was going to do that last night as the original thread title isn't that descriptive and makes it hard to search on
Old 10 April 2020, 16:16   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You know, I was going to do that last night as the original thread title isn't that descriptive and makes it hard to search on
Old 10 April 2020, 22:25   #26
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Galahad
So you have developed an émulation layer that make possible to run system friendly Atari games out of the box?

Last edited by kamelito; 10 April 2020 at 22:57. Reason: Typo
Old 10 April 2020, 22:34   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
@Galahad
So you have developed an émulation later that make possible to run system friendly Atari games out of the box?
I might have. It might have virtual drive support and on really small ST games it might work well on a 1meg A500.

Nothing else to say right now
Old 10 April 2020, 23:48   #28
redblade
Zone Friend

If stario land was released in the late 80s early 90s would have helped move a lot of Ataris, Giana Sisters was good, but I prefer Mario :/
Old 10 April 2020, 23:56   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
If stario land was released in the late 80s early 90s would have helped move a lot of Ataris, Giana Sisters was good, but I prefer Mario :/
I think if Stario Land was released earlier, it wouldn't have gotten released.

Its FAR more blatant than Giana Sisters was, and if it was released on ST earlier, so its more likely it would have gotten its own official Amiga release which would have just given even more reason for Nintendo to notice it.

I suspect Nintendo did hear about it, but realised that the ST market at that point was so small that to try and use legal action would likely draw more attention to it, Streisand effect I think they call it.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:21   #30
frikilokooo

It deserves a little redesign of graphics for the Amiga version. I don't want references from the atari competitor. I guess it will not be so easy to modify the graphics at the programming level. Anyway I volunteer to modify the graphics. If someone provides me the sprites and tiles.
Old 19 April 2020, 02:34   #31
TjLaZer

Very cool game, use to play it all the time. Runs very well on the ST. Would be great if it could run on a 1MB A500. We won't hear the end of it from Atari ST users if it's A1200+ lol
Old 19 April 2020, 03:03   #32
Pyromania

Very cool!
Old 19 April 2020, 03:25   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Very cool game, use to play it all the time. Runs very well on the ST. Would be great if it could run on a 1MB A500. We won't hear the end of it from Atari ST users if it's A1200+ lol
Not possible unfortunately.

Well, it is possible, but it would necessitate a complete rewrite because of the way it has been written.

Because the ST isn't the best at fast moving horizontal scrollers, the guy who programmed this preshifted every single graphic in the game and built up the screens in advance, and has some quite large unrolled loops to basically fast copy everything to the screen as fast as possible.

It uses up virtually all of 1 meg of chip ram to achieve it, and its programmed with the "strengths" of the ST, which in this case means its slightly faster processor speed is what makes it possible.

The reality is you wouldn't choose to do it like this on Amiga as there are far easier ways to achieve the same result and not remotely breaking a sweat.

Whether I can actually be bothered to completely rewrite this game, i'm not entirely sure. I personally consider it a curiosity at best, its not the worst Atari ST game, but i'm also slightly cautious about spending too much effort on it lest it raises Nintendos interest.

Yes I know they ignored the original ST release, i'm not so confident they would ignore a bespoke Amiga release which naturally would get more noticed than the ST version did.
Old 19 April 2020, 08:37   #34
Amigajay

It states in the ST Format review a 512k version was available, has that one been dumped anywhere?
Old 19 April 2020, 11:47   #35
Aladin

ST demo version:
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari...and_31239.html

full version:
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari...and_11468.html
https://atari.greenlog.fr/super-stario-land/

Last edited by Aladin; 19 April 2020 at 13:26.
Old 19 April 2020, 14:29   #36
oRBIT
Zone Friend

A port of the original SuperMarioLand (GameBoy), anyone up for the task?
Old 19 April 2020, 15:08   #37
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^Could be cool but considering how "big N" treated the C64 port of Mario, not sure about it. Or maybe, someone can do it "in stealth mode" and then release it
Old 19 April 2020, 15:22   #38
frikilokooo

Super Stario Land is a full nice game, gameplay lenght without errors and deaths is almost 40 minutes. Just like any good game of the era
Old 19 April 2020, 20:17   #39
TjLaZer

Here is Super Stario and Super Stario XMas special for the ST.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Super Stario.zip (286.7 KB, 133 views)
Old 21 April 2020, 01:43   #40
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
^Could be cool but considering how "big N" treated the C64 port of Mario, not sure about it. Or maybe, someone can do it "in stealth mode" and then release it
C64 SMB is a special case as it literally *IS* Super Mario Bros. It's all the native original 6502 game code and assets with the A/V code rewritten for the C64.

Nintendo is not as vicious these days about Mario clones like they were back in the day with Great Giana Sisters.