English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 March 2022, 02:50   #181
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Is there a reason why it’s 0.2b? It seems very much finished to me.
I know very well gradius and even if it's playable, the game doesn't react like the original, the playability isn't as good as the original.
That's why it's 02b, i suppose.It can be improved in the playability domain. The rest is near perfect if not perfect : gfx snd etc...
Old 20 March 2022, 15:40   #182
Clark Kent

I like this port. It’s a tiny bit easier and that’s good for me. Any reason why this wasn’t updated for more than a year?
Old 21 March 2022, 01:35   #183
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I like this port too, but without the game sources difficult to do better.
Old 26 March 2022, 16:46   #184
Clark Kent

I think it’s better to play because it’s running in 50 Hz so it’s slower than the original game. I like it that way.
Old 26 March 2022, 22:36   #185
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I'm too used to the original, the amiga version is really good, but harder for me.
Old 03 May 2022, 15:16   #186
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I randomly ran into a video of this game on Youtube. There is something oddly satisfying about the game, I can't exactly pin down what does it.

Perhaps its the fact that it blends the spirit of the Amiga and the MSX or something
Old 03 May 2022, 16:03   #187
mahen

+1
For some reason I have less trouble playing this than the original.
And it feels great ! Could really be labelled as 1.0 IMHO.

But that's just my average shmupper feeling.
Old 04 May 2022, 12:28   #188
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
+1
For some reason I have less trouble playing this than the original.
And it feels great ! Could really be labelled as 1.0 IMHO.

But that's just my average shmupper feeling.

Thanks. I also feel its a good bit easier then the arcade..
Old 21 June 2022, 06:07   #189
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I just played through this, keep in mind all I own is an A600 with 2mb Chip, so its running on an 68000 7mhz CPU.

One lifed it on my first try. It was nice to add an ending to it, something that was missing from the arcade original (it just looped), though I was expecting to play a 2nd loop. I'm used to finish the Arcade version easily too (though I haven't played it in ages), but the slowdown helped a lot, even the laser wall section at level 7 which even today gives me trouble on the original was easy here (and I'm glad when you die there on the arcade you are actually sent AHEAD on the level so you don't have to face that thing again )

I just *loved* this thing so much. The slowdown on a stock machine is really... kinda sad, but I mean, we played R-Type 2 back then like hell, and it never goes worse than R-Type 2 (and I feel it slowdowns but it never gets jerky or unplayable, like it happens in a lot of Amiga shmups)

The soundtrack of this is SO DAMN amazing, you replicated so faithfully from the original.

If this was released back in the day, even with the slowdowns and all, it would've been SO well received, and I would've played it so much.

I crossed through a few bugs... the (?) power up stayed lit after I looped through the power ups. On the arcade version I usually don't activate the shield because the difficulty goes crazy when you do it, so I didn't do it here.

Level 6 boss died in like half a second, and I don't think it was supposed to die so fast.

And "original" is mispelled on the staff rolling credits at the ending

One question/suggestion: Would turn off the starfield (and the green background on last level) speed up things so we could get less slowdowns on a stock machine? I would happily trade the starfield (or maybe have less stars? I dunno if it would make any difference) for a smoother experience.

But the way the game is right now is really impressive and I loved it. Thank you for making this game. Is awesome. I wish we had this back in the day

Last edited by Shatterhand; 21 June 2022 at 06:24.
Old 21 June 2022, 08:27   #190
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I just played through this, keep in mind all I own is an A600 with 2mb Chip, so its running on an 68000 7mhz CPU.

I just *loved* this thing so much. The slowdown on a stock machine is really... kinda sad, but I mean, we played R-Type 2 back then like hell, and it never goes worse than R-Type 2 (and I feel it slowdowns but it never gets jerky or unplayable, like it happens in a lot of Amiga shmups)

The soundtrack of this is SO DAMN amazing, you replicated so faithfully from the original.

If this was released back in the day, even with the slowdowns and all, it would've been SO well received, and I would've played it so much.

One question/suggestion: Would turn off the starfield (and the green background on last level) speed up things so we could get less slowdowns on a stock machine? I would happily trade the starfield (or maybe have less stars? I dunno if it would make any difference) for a smoother experience.

But the way the game is right now is really impressive and I loved it. Thank you for making this game. Is awesome. I wish we had this back in the day
Thanks a lot for your kind feedback Shatterhand. The soundtrack was a big motivation, because back in the day it inspired me to create music myself

Thanks for reporting the bugs. If I ever come back to the game I will remember.

Regarding disabling the starfield: I think it took around 10 rasterlines, so no real use in disabling it.

With a lot of work, the slowdowns could be made a bit less, but when considering that even the Arcade version had some
slowdowns (and the hardware is easily 5 times faster for that kind of game then an A500) I'm quite satisfied.
Using 4bpl instead of 5 would have had the most effect on A500, but I tried to stay really close to the Arcade gfx.

Thanks again.

Last edited by pink^abyss; 21 June 2022 at 11:18.
Old 21 June 2022, 09:30   #191
DanyPPC

But it remains a small masterpiece of conversion
Old 21 June 2022, 11:18   #192
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
But it remains a small masterpiece of conversion
Thanks Dany

It was also only possible with the support from Bartman/Abyss who got into the original Arcade code to see how certain things worked,
and also ripped the original music which was a big help to bring the music to Pretracker on Amiga.
Old 21 June 2022, 11:45   #193
zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
Thanks Dany

It was also only possible with the support from Bartman/Abyss who got into the original Arcade code to see how certain things worked,
and also ripped the original music which was a big help to bring the music to Pretracker on Amiga.

I was going to ask how feasible this kind of port would have been back in the day. From what I've heard it was rare for the people doing ports to have access to the source code or any of the graphics and sounds from the arcade original. They often just got a PCB, sometimes made their own ROM dumps and decodes, sometimes just recreated everything.

They usually had very little time to do it too, only some months, and were expected to port to both the Amiga and Atari ST so just ignored the blitter and used samples from the ST music. Atari was the reason for many crap Amiga ports.

C compilers were not nearly as good back then either, and of course no emulation for fast testing or checking DMA allocation.

I'm not trying to minimize the incredible achievement here, it's actually staggering to me. Just making excuses for the crap quality of ports back in the 80s and 90s
Old 21 June 2022, 15:08   #194
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
I was going to ask how feasible this kind of port would have been back in the day. From what I've heard it was rare for the people doing ports to have access to the source code or any of the graphics and sounds from the arcade original. They often just got a PCB, sometimes made their own ROM dumps and decodes, sometimes just recreated everything.

They usually had very little time to do it too, only some months, and were expected to port to both the Amiga and Atari ST so just ignored the blitter and used samples from the ST music. Atari was the reason for many crap Amiga ports.

C compilers were not nearly as good back then either, and of course no emulation for fast testing or checking DMA allocation.

I'm not trying to minimize the incredible achievement here, it's actually staggering to me. Just making excuses for the crap quality of ports back in the 80s and 90s

I think if people got back then a bit of documentation for the game to port, the original gfx and would have focused on Amiga instead of ST ports then things would have been much better in most cases. For instance, Rainbow Islands (like Bubble Bobble) could have run on A500 at 50fps, but it was targeted for ST... so everyone only got ~20fps.. still a good game

Using C is of course a nice time saver, especially for gameplay coding. For the game engine itself it doesn't help too much, as you still operate directly on the hardware. So writing code for the Blitter, Copper and Paula code is (nearly) identical to asm.
Old 23 June 2022, 10:15   #195
Daishi

Fantastic. Back in the day this would have had many magazine awards.
Old 04 December 2022, 15:52   #196
spotUP

It gets stuck after the first boss. Tried two times in a row now.
Music plays and i can move/shoot but it doesn’t advance from here?
This is the whdload version.
Old 04 December 2022, 15:53   #197
spotUP

I uploaded an image here but it seems gone..
Old 04 December 2022, 15:54   #198
spotUP

https://pasteboard.co/sdzGxLisPspJ.jpg
Old 14 December 2022, 17:32   #199
mahen

Hi ! Is there an issue with the WHDLOAD version ? (17th of November 2022)
Nothing occurs after defeating the 1st boss (no more music, I can still move the ship and crash it, and defeat the boss again, and it happens again).

I tried several times in a row even after quitting / relaunching.

Configuration : A1200 Blizzard 1230-IV OS 3.2.1.

Edit : OOPS, duplicate Same as SpoUP indeed
Old 14 December 2022, 23:56   #200
hexaae
Bug hunter

Please, try also without WHDLoad...
EDIT: tested myself and confirmed the bug happens only running with WHDLoad slave.
EDIT2: added to the Zone a working generic WHD version without the bugs, while waiting for a slave fix...

Last edited by hexaae; 15 December 2022 at 01:02.