English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 September 2020, 14:10   #1
Scorcha

Ideal Amiga system\hardware advice needed

Hardware advice for the right platform to use for my ideal Amiga system setup. I have a pc (built in 2012) and was going to use winuae, i heard fs-uae was better because it was less bloated and faster (?). I also rescued an imac g4 power pc which would allow me to setup a power pc Amiga environment (?)- would this be equivalent to an Amiga one (albeit slower?)?. My friend has a raspberry pie setup so may consider buying one. Not sure which option to choose. I'm thinking the pc method may be the easiest, quickest and most convenient. I haven't got lots of time to be farting around trouble shooting hardware necessarily. (But maybe that wouldn't be the case with the hardware alternatives anyway?).

Opinions, shared experiences and advise is much appreciated everyone.

Ste
Old 06 September 2020, 16:07   #2
Jope
-

Not really a support.hardware question if you are building an emulator system?

Get a fast PC with Windows and run WinUAE. That's the best, most precise emulator.
Old 06 September 2020, 16:24   #3
chip

I use WinUAE with Windows 10 and a new notebook (ACER ASPIRE 5)

It works great
Old 06 September 2020, 16:25   #4
Promilus

Even low end modern PC outperforms anything else in terms of raw performance. With JIT might end up with several times faster than Vampire 4 standalone, especially when it has absolutely insane disk and ram speed (thanks to underlying pc architecture with modern hardware controllers running full speed and DMA). If your intention is just to run emulations with fairly decent speed and comfortably I'd say Amibian and Raspberry should be pretty ok choice. If you want to play with absolutely fastest possible - well then PC is a better choice. I wouldn't consider G4 for anything else than MorphOS.