English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 September 2021, 12:32   #41
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Everyone has unseen issues, and my way, at least we’d be living in a more compassionate world.

What a load of bullshit. Are you by chance what is called today a Social Justice Warriror?
Old 02 September 2021, 12:33   #42
dreadnought

Quote:
And no need insult my work, that’s proper scumbag behaviour. What a low stoop. I’m embarrassed for you. I’ve helped 100’s of people.
You've insulted yourself, not only with your lame call to authority (I'm right because I'm a mental health worker) but more importantly your completely misguided "diagnosis" of the OP.

And, of course, your use of a real insult ("scumbag"), when there was none from my side, speaks volumes about your anger management issues. Not a good trait in the line of work you claim to be so good in.

Overall, your posts are a true example of modern virtue signalling - latching on a paper-thin excuse to launch into a moralizing tirade, then spitting venom when somebody objects. It's quite pathetic, ego-stroking and self-serving, but that's on par with the normal internet status quo, nothing to write home about. The really sad thing though is that these attitudes invariably hurt the causes they claim to stand for.
Old 02 September 2021, 12:45   #43
grond

xanderbeanz: I appreciate your work.
Old 02 September 2021, 12:47   #44
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I really wonder though, and that's probably the idea about this thread, why a lot of people in the Amiga scene are still so toxic on its creative people ever after all these good last few years. I see it again an again.
I think this is only your perception and I believe it is not true. In my perception most people are friendly but the answer to your "question" is this:
Quote:
Its not an Amiga thing, its human nature, you can choose to let those negative opinions affect you, or you could analyse if there is anything there of value to consider.
Old 02 September 2021, 13:37   #45
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I think this is only your perception and I believe it is not true. In my perception most people are friendly but the answer to your "question" is this:
In how many scenes other than the Amiga are you hanging out as well?
Old 02 September 2021, 14:01   #46
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Shame on you.

The phrase “Man up” needs to disappear, and it will, thankfully. Here in this thread, an individual was looking for the opportunity to vent some emotional difficulties. Had this been a traditionally female space, some support and healing could have happened. But like so many things, old, rigid masculinity comes into play and that opportunity to vent is denied. The person’s needs are dismissed, he is given some “tough love” and told to chin up, but the feelings are never resolved.

And this is why we have such a high male suicide rate, people are ashamed to ask for help.

As to the reason why people seem more offended these days, (and that sounds like it offends you ) there’s a number of reasons:

1. Minorities have become bold enough to speak out, and say “this isn’t ok behaviour”.
2. People have different, innate levels of sensitivity. This can be affected by neurological differences like Autism. Some school bullying victims for instance, are pretty much unscathed, some need years of therapy. Years of hard hard graft.

And these innate sensitivity levels can’t really be changed, perhaps, like MAX, 10% either way in your lifetime if you really work at it.

You are not the arbiter of how everyone else should feel. So the answer to “why is everyone so offended these days?” Is because they are legitimately upset by another person’s actions, they are not “putting it on for attention” or for sympathy, they are legitimately upset.

As a mental health worker, it’s my job to try and help these people. So stop telling people to “Man up”, and don’t make my job harder than it needs to be.

I'm a clinical psychologist. I'm aware of what is lurking in the Western Civilization and I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT. As a man I cannot condone the toxicity that has been going on towards men. As you surely understand, I am fully entitled to my personal opinion and to voice it on the internet. You don't like? Tough luck. Shame on you for not being tolerant enough to respect it.
Old 02 September 2021, 15:36   #47
acidbottle

Interesting point about the "toxicity" towards men in the past few years, never thought about it too deeply but it is kind of true.

Anyways, internet is full of trolls, I let them starve personally! That said, forums and youtube, twitter and all that bollox are for open opinions, some you will agree and others you cannot. When a debate turns into a slagging match I draw the line there.

The world has turned into a self entitled, narcissistic place for a long time now, I believe the push of technology, such as smart phones, has accelerated this. Society is falling apart and its quite alarming to see it happen before your very eyes.

Anyway, so the world is full of pricks, probably outnumbering the decent people nowadays. Try not to lower to their level or ignore them. Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Inviyya rocks no matter what a handful of tryhards think. Also love my boxed copy
Old 02 September 2021, 16:04   #48
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
I'm a clinical psychologist. I'm aware of what is lurking in the Western Civilization and I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT. As a man I cannot condone the toxicity that has been going on towards men. As you surely understand, I am fully entitled to my personal opinion and to voice it on the internet. You don't like? Tough luck. Shame on you for not being tolerant enough to respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Interesting point about the "toxicity" towards men in the past few years, never thought about it too deeply but it is kind of true.

Anyways, internet is full of trolls, I let them starve personally! That said, forums and youtube, twitter and all that bollox are for open opinions, some you will agree and others you cannot. When a debate turns into a slagging match I draw the line there.

The world has turned into a self entitled, narcissistic place for a long time now, I believe the push of technology, such as smart phones, has accelerated this. Society is falling apart and its quite alarming to see it happen before your very eyes.

Anyway, so the world is full of pricks, probably outnumbering the decent people nowadays. Try not to lower to their level or ignore them. Treat others how you would like to be treated.
This pretty much sums up my opinion also.
Old 02 September 2021, 16:06   #49
jotd
This cat is no more

as the owner of the video, you can also delete comments you're not happy with AFAIK.

creating an amiga game is tough and brutal most of the time. Thumbs up for doing that.
Old 02 September 2021, 16:20   #50
Paulee_Bow

Lol, telling me to be more tolerant when *he’s* going on his little outrage about everyone being too sensitive, that is, being intolerant of sensitive people. The lack of self-awareness is staggering.
Old 02 September 2021, 16:20   #51
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
I'll take that over how it was hundreds of years ago.
Old 02 September 2021, 16:37   #52
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
You've insulted yourself, not only with your lame call to authority (I'm right because I'm a mental health worker) but more importantly your completely misguided "diagnosis" of the OP.

And, of course, your use of a real insult ("scumbag"), when there was none from my side, speaks volumes about your anger management issues. Not a good trait in the line of work you claim to be so good in.

Overall, your posts are a true example of modern virtue signalling - latching on a paper-thin excuse to launch into a moralizing tirade, then spitting venom when somebody objects. It's quite pathetic, ego-stroking and self-serving, but that's on par with the normal internet status quo, nothing to write home about. The really sad thing though is that these attitudes invariably hurt the causes they claim to stand for.
I simply called out your behaviour for what it was. You insulted my (exemplary) work, in a clear, spiteful goading attempt...so there’s your own anger issues there.

So I suggested that this was scumbag “behaviour”, that is all.
If you were happy with yourself as a human being, you wouldn’t have attacked me so viciously from the off, this was never *our* argument...I was trying to tell the “man up” guy that his approach is a poisonous one for other people’s mental health. That’s one of my values, I believe it 100% and I have behaved in a way that is completely consistent with my values.

A couple of small points to finish off. Firstly, virtue signalling doesn’t exist, and as soon as someone mentions that phrase in a serious way, it’s alarm bells.

So, not much point continuing this discussion.

Finally, I won’t be taking on board any of the borderline abusive things you have said to me, I conclude that it’s best we avoid one another. I won’t be reading your reply. Man, people are much nicer in real life.
Old 02 September 2021, 16:55   #53
roondar

<<old stuff removed>>
This was a bad idea for a post. Against my normal practices, I've removed the old text.
Old 02 September 2021, 16:59   #54
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
I simply called out your behaviour for what it was. You insulted my (exemplary) work, in a clear, spiteful goading attempt...so there’s your own anger issues there.

So I suggested that this was scumbag “behaviour”, that is all.
If you were happy with yourself as a human being, you wouldn’t have attacked me so viciously from the off, this was never *our* argument...I was trying to tell the “man up” guy that his approach is a poisonous one for other people’s mental health. That’s one of my values, I believe it 100% and I have behaved in a way that is completely consistent with my values.

A couple of small points to finish off. Firstly, virtue signalling doesn’t exist, and as soon as someone mentions that phrase in a serious way, it’s alarm bells.

Finally, I won’t be taking on board any of the borderline abusive things you have said to me, I conclude that it’s best we avoid one another. I won’t be reading your reply. Man, people are much nicer in real life.

Daddy issues much?

EDIT: Can you even conceive the notion that you *might* just not be the owner of absolute truth and that other points of view exist? And that being a man and asking a man to "man up" is not offensive at all and what is offensive is for you to chastise and shame that same manhood? Are you ACTUALLY able to entertain these notions or are you too fixed, crystallized in your ways to even be open to any other perspective?

BTW: on topic, Inviyya looks, moves and sounds awesome. OCS is more limited than people realize (though it was world-shattering advanced in 1985), hence you (the author) shouldn't take negative comments too much at heart because they may be coming from a flawed perspective and even if they aren't you shouldn't value them too much if you are happy with your work yourself.

People are entitled to their opinion, even if they diverge significantly from ours - like this person seems to be against mine - the same way we are free to argue (within the lines and rules) to make our point across. It seems to me that within the Western Civilization we've been witnessing a perpetual state of "being offended" and that conflict is always a bad things and that everyone should just hold hands and sing "kumbaya". State notice: the World doesn't work that way and it will never work that way. Even Nature itself doesn't work that way. It has always been survival of the fittest, the show of the strongest. Sure, being magnanimous, caring and protective of the weakest is a sign of empathy and a display of humanity but in order to protect the weak, first you have to be strong. To face the perils you have to be brave. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. It's even necessary. Harshness is mandatory if we are to have softness. If we completely "sissyfy" our Western Civilization like some of the SJW and "woke" extremists want, we will soon be ripe for the taking for a stronger, more aggressive and harsher civilization. It's a lesson from History. If you're not able to see this, then - I'm sorry to say - you're blind. And the worse kind of blindness is the one that springs from the unwillingness to see.

So, to tell a man - who I'm sure considers himself as such - to "man up" has nothing toxic about it. AT ALL! What is toxic, then, is your attempt at toxifying it (yes, you xanderbeanz) as if all the traditionally male attributes are wrong or abusive. You're the one who's being abusive when you say it is abusive. You're the one who's toxic when you say it's toxic. I'd be damned - I or any other man that is rightfully proud of himself - that I'll let anyone come and attempt to castrate me. You won't end up well if you try it... Wanna be sensible and flowery and all that crap? Go right ahead. But remember: you're only allowed to be so because some other guys - stronger, tougher, abler and no-nonsense - allow you the space and frame to be so. Don't believe me? Go and try to be whatever you are in Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia or even China or Russia. Go on, do it. Not doing it? Why? Oh... Maybe 'cos I'm right, yeah? You only are that way because we allow you to be that way. So a little more of gratitude and a little less of judgement and toxic castration-attempting from your side is in order. You may not respect the male members of your family (if you had any), but I still respect and cherish my father's and grandfathers teachings.

If you want to talk about your obvious bias against masculinity in a proper way, feel free to PM me. This thread is now dedicated solely to Inviyya and the reactions to its video.

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 02 September 2021 at 17:25.
Old 02 September 2021, 17:01   #55
sparhawk

Quote:
Good! Because this thread has already been successfully hijacked by the Social Justice Warrior Society. One troll is enough for that as it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
<<old stuff removed>>
This was a bad idea for a post. Against my normal practices, I've removed the old text.
To bad, because it made sense what you had written.
Old 02 September 2021, 17:05   #56
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
To bad, because it made sense what you had written.
Thanks, but I felt an Amiga board is not the correct place to have discussions like this.
Old 02 September 2021, 17:13   #57
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

This thread is going places..
Old 02 September 2021, 17:16   #58
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Daddy issues...
Unbelievable behaviour from a mod, so childish.
Some people never progress past the school playground behaviourally.
I’ve already asked Bippy to delete my account but perhaps you could do it.

I hope that one day, your colleagues find out who you really are, because karma is a b1tch my friend. Peace out.
Old 02 September 2021, 17:17   #59
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
What a load of bullshit. Are you by chance what is called today a Social Justice Warriror?
And you are what we call, a Status Quo Warrior
Old 02 September 2021, 17:22   #60
acidbottle

<snip cut edit>

yeah, im staying out of this to

Last edited by acidbottle; 02 September 2021 at 17:39.