English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 29 June 2008, 13:29   #1
cybernoid
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Renaming Hi-Score Files

Hi!
I'm asking if
1...is it possible to rename the hi-score files (WHDLoad Games) ?
2...or if i can place the hi-score files inside the DATA Dir of the Games, even if the original game place was not the that DATA dir (I set in game.info DATA=DATA), so i can have much more organized WHDLoad games?

TKS
Old 29 June 2008, 23:01   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

If you rename the files, the game will not find them. As for question 2, if the game specifically stores everything in a data dir, and you tell WHDLoad that the data dir is somewhere else, yes it will still work. The only exception is if the game writes to data/game.highs in which case no it won't.
Old 29 June 2008, 23:27   #3
cybernoid

Thanks for help!

I guess I will write to whdload.de . I think that the hiscores.whdload should have all the same name. It's a complete confusion. I found some hiscores inside data.dir that I dont even know if they belong to the original game or they are an add-on from whdload. At least there could be an option to change the default hiscores name.
Old 29 June 2008, 23:54   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Its irrelevant what the patcher decides to call the hiscore file, most games didn't have a default hiscore save, so the patcher has added a feature.

You can consider that 99.99% of all hiscores are generated by the patcher from an original copy of the game, I have no clue why its important to you that the hiscore name should be changed, but I can tell you there will be no rampant need for us to start having a set system with regards hiscores.
Old 30 June 2008, 18:23   #5
cybernoid

I know I'm a bit paranoid about organization and clean system.
So far, Amiga Workbench is the only OS system I found that is perfect. There's no Windows.dll, no usr/share/ etc etc.

WHDLoad is a dream.
I have all the whddemos perfectly organized, with all non Disk.demos inside a Dir called Data (due to the var data=), same short .info (named aga.info aga-data.info ecs.info ecs-data.info) for every demo, all the slaves named demo.slave etc etc.

I like to present Amiga to friends and a clean look looks like a charm.

I just realize I can't make the same to WHDGames. Just because of the hi-scores. I tried to remove them, but there's some I can't see if they belong original to the games or they are a patch from WHDLoad. After all, I think the Hi-Scores idea is great.

But of course, I know its irrelevant - it's just because your program WHDLoad is soooooo good and close to perfection!

Best Regards
Registered WHDLoad User
Old 30 June 2008, 18:39   #6
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernoid View Post
I know I'm a bit paranoid about organization and clean system.
So far, Amiga Workbench is the only OS system I found that is perfect. There's no Windows.dll, no usr/share/ etc etc.
Errr, yeah, just a huge mess of assigns. Seriously, what's the major difference between C: and /bin/ then? How's S: so very different from /etc/rc.d (or some such)? What's the major difference between "windows.dll" and "amiga.library" (to use analogous names)?
Old 30 June 2008, 19:26   #7
cybernoid

I dont have a huge mass of assigns, libraries, handlers, etc have understandable names, and Linux Distros like fedora and debian still continue to clear and organize better every release.
I can't compare Workbench to Windows. Windows hides everything. There's more than 500 megas of dll. I don't think we can say Windows is organized. There's .jpg inside windows main dir, weird dir names, updates that leave old code everywhere, installs creating code under all accounts, etc etc etc

Last edited by cybernoid; 30 June 2008 at 19:33.
Old 30 June 2008, 19:31   #8
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernoid View Post
There's .jpg inside windows main dir
Eh? Where? I don't see any...
Old 30 June 2008, 19:35   #9
cybernoid

I have some .bmp in my C:Windows
Old 30 June 2008, 19:38   #10
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@cybernoid: you'd love viśta x64
after about a year of working on it, my current windows folder is 20gb big
Old 30 June 2008, 19:40   #11
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

And yeah, Windows is a lot bigger, so are most modern operating systems. I never compared the two, they're too far apart in age, scope and functionality. Frankly I didn't know what you were on about with "windows.dll". But as far as organization goes, modern Windows versions keep things separated, as again do most modern operating systems, on a per-user, per-program level, etc. And what do you care what the internals of the OS look like? The rest is the user's responsibility and the OS has nothing to do with it.
Old 30 June 2008, 19:47   #12
cybernoid

Yeah, you are right! I tried Vista - horrible experience

I have to say that since Windows 95 till the release of Ubuntu and Fedora I had lots of headaches with PC's. I waste many many time for nothing, because I still don't understand 1% of Windows structure. I like to know where I walk - without having to spend time buying microsoft books, etc. The only good thing in Windows is WinUAE.
Old 01 July 2008, 02:51   #13
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
I guess I will write to whdload.de . I think that the hiscores.whdload should have all the same name.
as someone who has added highscore functions to both Cybernoid games (oh the irony!) i can tell you i would never and will never be giving the files the same name.

If Wepl does eventually manage to add a SAVEDIR= function to whdload itself, every game having the same filename would cause a lot of problems, as they would all reside in the one directory.

I always go for gamename.highs myself, as that seems to be the general preference.
Old 01 July 2008, 04:11   #14
cybernoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
as someone who has added highscore functions to both Cybernoid games (oh the irony!) i can tell you i would never and will never be giving the files the same name.

If Wepl does eventually manage to add a SAVEDIR= function to whdload itself, every game having the same filename would cause a lot of problems, as they would all reside in the one directory.

I always go for gamename.highs myself, as that seems to be the general preference.
The SAVEDIR would be great. Didnt know. Sorry. Everything I said here about the hiscores with the same name etc if so is completely wrong.

... and it's always nice to talk to one of the masters of having cybernoid on WHDLoad!
Old 01 July 2008, 09:32   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

well i know it's been mentioned several times, and Wepl has always sounded kinda positive about it. i'm not sure if a few slaves might require tweeks from authors though to allow it to work properly. (it depends on how it would be implemented i guess)