English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 August 2021, 17:19   #1
stevelord

A500 Keyboard keys stuck

Hi,

I have a Mitsumi Amiga 500 Keyboard (A619A I believe) on an A500 I'm trying to bring back to life.

While popping the keys off to clean the keyboard I hit a snag putting them back on. The big return key goes down fine but when I press the key it doesn't fully spring back. There's a spring in there but it pretty much stays recessed. The key has two rollbars. The top vertically oriented one seems *very* finicky. Is there something wrong with the way I've put it on, or is there some where I can see that shows how to get this on? I'm fine with the other keys, just this one does my head in.

Also want to just say thanks to Solarmon for his A619A docs. That's been a real help in identifying a column of keys not working (Y5 in my case). Next time I pull it apart I'll do a continuity test.
Old 03 September 2021, 00:52   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
Hi,

I have a Mitsumi Amiga 500 Keyboard (A619A I believe) on an A500 I'm trying to bring back to life.

While popping the keys off to clean the keyboard I hit a snag putting them back on. The big return key goes down fine but when I press the key it doesn't fully spring back. There's a spring in there but it pretty much stays recessed. The key has two rollbars. The top vertically oriented one seems *very* finicky. Is there something wrong with the way I've put it on, or is there some where I can see that shows how to get this on? I'm fine with the other keys, just this one does my head in.

Also want to just say thanks to Solarmon for his A619A docs. That's been a real help in identifying a column of keys not working (Y5 in my case). Next time I pull it apart I'll do a continuity test.
Have you tried re-greasing the roll bar where it clips to the key and the keyboard top plate? They are usually greased to help with the free movement. Having the same issue but with the space bar
Old 21 October 2021, 13:17   #3
stevelord

Thanks Jpor, but it wasn't that. It was... worse. Looks like the clips have been snapped off on one side. Just got a replacement backplate in and this is weird. Looks like there are several A500 keyboard plates with different return key layouts. Mine has two rollbars, but this looks like it just has one and a separate plunger. Gonna put this back together and have a think.