English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 February 2006, 16:51   #1
JeffreyUS

Using a partition as an Amiga Boot Device for UAE

I have UAE installed on a Windows XP machine. The first drive is NTFS partitions. The second drive is configured with Ubuntu Linux, with three current partitions, ext2 (Linux installation), swapfile, and ext3 (used for NFS). I also have about 8GB of unpartitioned space.

Is it possible to format a partition with FFS on the second drive, and use it to boot UAE? I want to preserve the rest of the system as Linux, since Linux can read FFS partitions, but apparently cannot format them as FFS.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Old 08 February 2006, 16:57   #2
Ironclaw
Banned

Yep, should be no problem, just open up workbench or something and format the PC harddrive.
Old 08 February 2006, 17:51   #3
JeffreyUS

I do not want to partition or format the whole drive, I just want to use an existing partition or a new partition with WinUAE (as an FFS formated partition). Unfortunately, the Workbench tools (HDToolbox or HDInst) do not let me access the existing partitions or free space on the drive, and Linux and Windows tools (qtparted and Disk Manager) do not support formatting with FFS.

Jeffrey

Old 08 February 2006, 17:58   #4
Ironclaw
Banned

Donno exactly what u mean then.. but you can make a hd file and use that, format, whatever.. or mount a folder made on one of your harddisk and do whatever to that one...
Old 08 February 2006, 22:52   #5
Jerry

You could experiment with the -disableharddrivesafetycheck switch of winuae to make all partitions visible in hdtoolbox (if it's a recent version). Also the cd-version of aros has a hdtoolbox included, but I don't know if it works.
Anyway, I would start backing up my data if I were you. When it's all backed up. Check back here if someone has more experience
Old 08 February 2006, 22:55   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You need to create Amithlon-type partitions (partition type 0x76).

Unfortunately I don't know any Windows utility that can create non-DOS partitions.. It is easy with Linux fdisk.
Old 09 February 2006, 01:36   #7
JeffreyUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
You need to create Amithlon-type partitions (partition type 0x76).

Unfortunately I don't know any Windows utility that can create non-DOS partitions.. It is easy with Linux fdisk.

Once I create a Amithlon-type partition, can hdinst see the partition so I can run the format command to format it? Currently, hdinst does not see any partitions, just the whole drive with no current partitions.

Jeffrey