English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 07 June 2021, 17:03   #1
reno

Installing / updating Retroplay WHDLoad packs

Hi there !

With the release of AmigaOS 3.2, I want to do a clean install on my Amigas (600/1200/CD32), with the latest Retroplay WHDLoad packs.

I keep my local copy of the packs up to date using the Retroplay Google Drive mirror and "rclone" : a great little utility which is basically like "rsync" but for cloud provider directories.

Until now, I had been using HstWB installer to generate my CF card image, because it has great support for the Retroplay packs : it scans the directories, asks you which languages you want and AGA/CD32 or just OCS, and unpacks everything automatically !

The problem is that HstWB seems abandoned and hasn't been updated for 3.2. It also includes several tweaks/packages that I'm not sure are needed or compatible with 3.2. And the self install images have PFS3AIO, but I understand FFS is recommended now.

So while I could do a HstWB 3.1.4 install then upgrade it to 3.2, I think that would result in a messy install. So instead, I will just do a 3.2 clean installation, but I still need something to unpack the WHDLoad packages (and ideally keep them up to date !)

How do you guys do that ?
Has someone managed to use JUST the HstWB package install scripts, without the full HstWB installer image ?
Or maybe I can make a HstWB 3.1.4 install with everything, then copy only the WHDLoad partition contents to my fresh 3.2 image and throw away the rest ?

I've seen pyretroplay : is it any good ? It seems to use the FTP server (I much prefer to use "rclone" with Google Drive) but maybe it's a good starting point.

I've also heard of DAT files and ROM managers, but I'm on Mac/Linux not Windows, so I guess that won't help.

Any advice appreciated, thanks !

Last edited by reno; 07 June 2021 at 17:07. Reason: more details