English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 11 August 2021, 01:01   #1
Bren McGuire

We need alot of patches fixed for full game controller use

my main gaming Amiga is a CD32, which is in my gaming room, and also fully joypad operated, and I cannot remember how many times a game session is ruined by a game needing keyboard input mid game or at any point.

"press F key to begin", hiscore tables and other random stuff make the game come to a halt impeding progression. hiscore tables are especially bad.

can we gather here a list of games that need this fixed? either by allowing input via joypad or skipping these keyboard inputs altogether. i think many amiga gamers would appreciate this.
Old 11 August 2021, 19:22   #2
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Is your WHDLOAD collection up to date ?
Because the WHDLoad team has made many improvements with 2nd button / CD32 pad support on many games recently

There is a thread started by Retro-Nerd for requests, perhaps you can suggest your titles here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68797
Old 11 August 2021, 19:24   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

please use mantis instead

There's this list of working games too

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...oCo/edit#gid=0
Old 11 August 2021, 22:21   #4
Bren McGuire

i didnt know there was another thread, i guess i can contribute there.

i dont know what mantis is, but i think this is a problem when people dont play games thru. i dont really want extra button support, i want games to be playable by not locking up when you have to enter a hiscore name or some such rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
please use mantis instead

There's this list of working games too

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...oCo/edit#gid=0
Old 11 August 2021, 23:42   #5
Superman

Mantis is the Whdload bugtracker site. You need an account on there to create a post.

http://mantis.whdload.de/main_page.php
Old 12 August 2021, 12:12   #6
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
i dont know what mantis is,
If you want to send a report go to whdload.de -> Installs -> click through the list until you reach your install/game -> click on Info link. Here (readme) you can check for latest slave version and other information. For a new report click on the author link. To see existing reports click on the number(s) behind "Mantis BugTracker" (usually below the author link). It is recommended to check this first to avoid double reports.
Old 12 August 2021, 14:38   #7
rothers

I read that Fire & Ice somehow supports 3 buttons on a Sega joypad, is this true or a myth?
Old 12 August 2021, 15:48   #8
Bren McGuire

wow this sounds really complicated, that mantis site looks like absolute shite, i dont understand how to "check first", it's unreadable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
If you want to send a report go to whdload.de -> Installs -> click through the list until you reach your install/game -> click on Info link. Here (readme) you can check for latest slave version and other information. For a new report click on the author link. To see existing reports click on the number(s) behind "Mantis BugTracker" (usually below the author link). It is recommended to check this first to avoid double reports.
Old 12 August 2021, 18:39   #9
daxb

It only sounds complicated for the first time. :-) E.g for Barbarian2Palace:

We have found it here: http://whdload.de/games/Barbarian2Palace.html (I hope that wasn't that difficult)

On top you will see this:

Author/Contact (use it to report problems with that install) CFou! <--- This is the link for a new report!
Mantis BugTracker 1169 <--- This is the link for reported stuff on mantis bugtracker!

If you click the second link to mantis you will see a list of reports (in this case two) below on the page. If the summary doesn't give you enough information you can enter the report by clicking on the ID number in the first column (4086 and 2976 in this case). Maybe a bit non-intuitive but if you know it it isn't difficult. That is all.

As already mentioned you will need an mantis account to use it. The system will tell you.
Old 12 August 2021, 22:04   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
I read that Fire & Ice somehow supports 3 buttons on a Sega joypad, is this true or a myth?
It's true. But on the whdload version I think it doesn't work

anyway the third button does the same as the second button.

What could be done in the whdload patch would be to map the third button to pause.

Quote:
wow this sounds really complicated, that mantis site looks like absolute shite, i dont understand how to "check first", it's unreadable
it's less complicated (and less shite) than posting anarchic requests for improvements on EAB.
Old 12 August 2022, 16:54   #11
Bren McGuire

sir u need to look up "anarchy" in the dictionary. or instead, just please, add some more cd32 mappings to slaves, you're great at that, love you
Quote:
it's less complicated (and less shite) than posting anarchic requests for improvements on EAB.
Old 12 August 2022, 19:13   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

anarchic
adjective

with no controlling rules or principles to give order.
"an anarchic and bitter civil war"
"an anarchic group of posts to request patches where the devs have to scour the forum to check for the ones that haven't been done yet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
If you want to send a report go to whdload.de -> Installs -> click through the list until you reach your install/game -> click on Info link. Here (readme) you can check for latest slave version and other information.
I think that creates the mantis account for you and creates the mantis ticket a few days after. It also assigns the ticket to the slave creator (who may be retired, inactive or dead). No need to open mantis at this stage.
Old 13 August 2022, 00:36   #13
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:

"press F key to begin", hiscore tables and other random stuff make the game come to a halt impeding progression. hiscore tables are especially bad.
(you have a keyboard for your CD32 ? right?)

What Game uses "press F to begin" ?

Highscores are normally after you played a game, and did good

As Rochabian stated; most "console like" Amiga games had become a 2nd button support.
There are only a few that come to mind that did not get this treadtment.

Alien Breed comes to mind (Alt for switching weapons)

Sure, there are maybe a few more....but these are the major one i can think of on top of my Smurfi head

You should be fine with "console like games".
The Amiga is still a Computer, dont forget that; so you will never able to play a Flightsim without a Keyboard.

What the WHDload Guys already did is just outstanding and you (we all should) give HUGE Kudos to them.

Cant thank those guys enough ... Wepl, Psygore, Stingray, JOTD, CFOU, Ross, Codetapper, Bored Seal, Mr.Lamer , Galahad, Hoffman, Ross and all the rest, which i did not mention, because i am to stupid

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 13 August 2022 at 18:58. Reason: adding a few more BOWDOWNS, they are well deserved !
Old 26 August 2022, 15:54   #14
Bren McGuire

the cd32 is a games console, not a "computer", and it doesn't have a keyboard, these fixes are possible and wanted, and if you have no interest in the cd32, you need to move along to another thread

be quiet, smurf. sometimes is best not to talk, did your parents not teach you that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
(you have a keyboard for your CD32 ? right?)

What Game uses "press F to begin" ?

Highscores are normally after you played a game, and did good

As Rochabian stated; most "console like" Amiga games had become a 2nd button support.
There are only a few that come to mind that did not get this treadtment.

Alien Breed comes to mind (Alt for switching weapons)

Sure, there are maybe a few more....but these are the major one i can think of on top of my Smurfi head

You should be fine with "console like games".
The Amiga is still a Computer, dont forget that; so you will never able to play a Flightsim without a Keyboard.

What the WHDload Guys already did is just outstanding and you (we all should) give HUGE Kudos to them.

Cant thank those guys enough ... Wepl, Psygore, Stingray, JOTD, CFOU, Ross, Codetapper, Bored Seal, Mr.Lamer , Galahad, Hoffman, Ross and all the rest, which i did not mention, because i am to stupid

Old 26 August 2022, 15:55   #15
Bren McGuire

kind sir i did not intend to give orders. i understand about mantis, but it's just so unreadable, it's hard. so if there is no need to open mantis, how do i assist in asking for keyboard fixes?

Quote:
anarchic
adjective

with no controlling rules or principles to give order.
"an anarchic and bitter civil war"
"an anarchic group of posts to request patches where the devs have to scour the forum to check for the ones that haven't been done yet"

I think that creates the mantis account for you and creates the mantis ticket a few days after. It also assigns the ticket to the slave creator (who may be retired, inactive or dead). No need to open mantis at this stage.
Old 26 August 2022, 16:04   #16
dreadnought

Quote:
be quiet, smurf. sometimes is best not to talk, did your parents not teach you that?
With your charming and endearing manner, I'm sure the devs will be lining up to fulfil your requests. How could hey not, when such a refined gentleman is asking politely?
Old 26 August 2022, 16:10   #17
Torti-the-Smurf

Wow MCGuire; please behave; no reason to get mean.

First, i have a CD32 and Yes it even has a PORT for a Keyboard, so there you go !!!!!!

Quote:
the cd32 is a games console, not a "computer"
Sure; Just take the Amiga, strip away the standard Keyboard that came with it
and pretty much all the major connections; put that in another case and suddenly its a "gaming console" ?

Yeah, i know what you mean, but thats not how that works.

There where only a few games made especially for that "gaming console" but you want that
all the "Comuter Games" should now all be "console games" ? What kind of logic is that ?

Commodore tried that a few Times; it never did well.

Want examples? How about that

(and i dont want to be mean or anything, but you cant take a computer; tear it appart;
stuck it inside a box and say: "There; Its a "GAMING CONSOLE" now )

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
(ohhh, thats a "home entertainment device")

Ohh, even Apple made a "gaming console "

[ Show youtube player ]

You want a real gaming console ?

I recommend a Sega Mega Drive and/or Super Nintendo

Besides, do you know what a hassle it can be to even make a Slave ?
Did you even made one single Slave ?

I did.

Youre welcome.

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 26 August 2022 at 19:15. Reason: Please, dont be mean,ok? We should be nice to each other. Greetings, Torti
Old 26 August 2022, 18:32   #18
jotd
This cat is no more

if you have a CD32 and no keyboard, no expansion mem, you'd be better off with cd32load... which emulates keys with joypad natively in most cases since 2016. That was before the massive upgrade of all whdload patches natively.

if you have a CD32 with fastmem you probably have a keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
yes, Fire & Ice accepts inputs from all 3 buttons, ... which all do the same thing... Because Andrew Braybook builds his games on a custom minimalist operating system that can read all amiga inputs.

Note that recent whdload patches supporting CD32 joypad also support 2 and 3 button joysticks. The 3rd button is often mapped to "pause".

Last edited by jotd; 26 August 2022 at 21:06.
Old 27 August 2022, 17:05   #19
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Always feel like saying try CD32load in these threads, normally just get ignored.

The keyboard and mouse emulation had great fun playing BRAT with a Controller.
Old 27 August 2022, 18:49   #20
jotd
This cat is no more

There are people requesting and people doing the job