English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 June 2018, 23:15   #1
Graham Humphrey

Norwich Amiga Group - News & Events

Venue: One Life Left - Norwich Gaming Cafe, 21 St Benedict's Street, Norwich, NR2 4PF

Date: Tuesday, 3rd July 2018, 18:00 - 21:30 (SWOS starts at approx 19:30)

Norwich Amiga Group invites you to their next community meet on 3rd July, for the first time at One Life Left!

Everyone is welcome to come along and support this free event. We'd love to help grow this retro community and are looking forward to seeing new faces coming along to join in and meet the regulars.

The group will be setting up Amiga hardware at the cafe for the evening - expect a strong hit of nostalgia on the night!

We'll also be hosting a casual Sensible Soccer tournament! This is just for fun but should give people a taste of some potential high-stakes events for the future! We expect to start this around 7:30pm so no rush for those people getting off work.

Over 18s after 6pm as alcohol will be on sale.

Facebook event here

If you're in the area at the time, please feel free to come and join us. I hope we'll be able to get a few machines set up with different things on them for people to play. It should be a fun evening with the potential of more regular events in the future should it go well. Come and say hi, grab a drink and beat us at a few games.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 19 June 2018 at 23:26.
Old 20 June 2018, 02:31   #2
Nosferax

Too bad I've go to redo the roof on my house this year. I'll try to fit a vacation in the UK next years. Being a Canadian I've got to visit at least one of the founding nation, france being the other (maybe the year after that). Would love to go to those AUG and swap meet.
Old 08 August 2018, 20:04   #3
Graham Humphrey

(Could a kind moderator change the thread title to 'Norwich Amiga Group - news and events' please? I'll use this one thread for everything...)

We've got another meet. Same venue and time as the last event, on Thursday 16th August. Facebook event link

We should have several machines available to play - my CD32 will be there and we should have an A600 and an A1200 as well, at least - and plenty of multiplayer games to try (Four or five-player Dynablaster is on the list). We also take requests, and if anyone has any software or hardware they'd like to come and show off, then by all means do so.

If you're in the area, come along and say hi, and have a game or two. It's free entry but as One Life Left have kindly let us have use of their cafe for free, I'd urge everyone to buy a drink to help cover their own costs and show support for such an excellent venue.

Here's a brief video summary of the last meet, in the meantime: [ Show youtube player ]

And some photos on Facebook.
Old 09 August 2018, 00:09   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
(Could a kind moderator change the thread title to 'Norwich Amiga Group - news and events' please? I'll use this one thread for everything...)
...just got home Graham and logged into EAB; done my friend
Old 09 August 2018, 00:19   #5
Graham Humphrey

Great service as ever - cheers Damien
Old 22 August 2018, 20:06   #6
Graham Humphrey

Well the second event last week was definitely a success. 15 people attended and there was five machines out to play with (two A1200s and CD32s, as well as an A600 - there was also an A500 which had wouldn't give a proper picture). Plenty of games and demos on show. Four-player Dynablaster was a real highlight. We even managed to help identify a hardware issue (someone brought some joysticks with them that wouldn't work properly on their A500 - we got them to work so looks like an Amiga issue there). A really good time was had by all.

Some pics here (I took them which is why they aren't really very good).

We've already got a third meet booked in - the same venue again, this time on Sunday 9th September from 16:30 until 22:00 (potentially!).
Old 06 September 2018, 08:40   #7
Graham Humphrey

Quick bump for the third meetup happening this weekend...

Facebook event is here if you're on it.

As mentioned above, we're at the One Life Left Cafe once again from 16:30 until 22:00 (if indeed we need that long).

As usual - it's free entry and open to all. People can bring hardware, software, magazines etc as they please, or they can just turn up for a quick drink and a chat with new people. We should also be able to play linked-up games this time which will be fun (pics to follow of that, should we get it to work...!).

If you're in the area or know anybody who is... then do come and say hi, we don't bite, honestly.
Old 14 September 2018, 08:36   #8
Graham Humphrey

Here's a nine-minute video of our latest meet...

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks to EAB user matburton who very kindly PM'd me prior to the event with his install of Super Skidmarks so we could play it linked up. Unfortunately we didn't have a link cable at the meet in the end, but we've kept the game for next time.

Next meet is Tuesday 9th October at 17:30-21:30. We should be holding a big Dynablaster tournament too.
Old 14 September 2018, 23:21   #9
Sir_Lucas

I had a really great time. Thank you all for coming in and One Life Left for hosting us.
Old 18 September 2018, 10:08   #10
Sir_Lucas

Yet another Norwich Amiga Group meeting coming!! Feel free to join us.
Graham Humphrey, thanks for a great poster!!

Old 23 September 2018, 17:05   #11
Graham Humphrey

Facebook event link here

As usual, it's free entry and open to anyone who wants to come along. As the pic above indicates, we will be holding a Dynablaster tournament from 7pm. Aside from that, we'll have plenty of machines to play with generally and other stuff besides.
Old 01 November 2018, 08:46   #12
Graham Humphrey

Our next event is on Thursday 22nd November, 17:30 - 21:30 at One Life Left Cafe, as usual. We really should have a serial link cable and some suitable games up and running this time. Check out the Facebook event here or if you're not on social media, just show up on the night. Feel free to post here or PM me for more details if you like.

Meanwhile, our fourth event in October was really good. We had a hugely competitive Dynablaster tournament, plus plenty of other stuff besides (including a demonstration of Zerosphere on the CD32). Some pics are here.
Old 19 December 2018, 19:53   #13
Graham Humphrey

Cheeky bump...

Our next meet is on Friday 4th January, same venue and time. We've managed to get serial linked games up and running now so we'll be running Super Skidmarks (and others) with any luck

As usual, if anyone is in the area, feel free to pop in. Event page is on Facebook in case you want updates as it draws closer, otherwise PM me or post here if you have any other questions.
Old 29 January 2019, 08:45   #14
Graham Humphrey

It's been a while since the last update here so I thought I'd post the latest developments...

Our sixth meet was a real success. Lots of old and new faces turned up and we had WinUAE and a Raspberry Pi running as well as a real A600, A1200 and CD32. A good mix of old and new games, demos and hard drive game install woes. Some photos can be found here.

Our next meet is on Sunday 24th Feburary, starting at 4pm. You can see the event page on Facebook, but if you're not on social media, feel free to simply turn up on the day, or PM me for more info if you like. We'll be holding a PD games-themed tournament too.
Old 20 March 2019, 20:03   #15
Graham Humphrey

Perhaps I should be a bit more active here as our next meet is coming up this Friday from 5:30pm.

The last meet was the most successful yet, with 23 people turning up and all seemingly having a good time. PD multiplayer games was a theme and Extreme Violence and Super Foul Egg proving popular. Some photos are here (I have a better camera for the next meet, honest).

We're now on Twitter too so follow us @NorwichAmigaGrp if you're particularly bored.
Old 16 April 2019, 08:48   #16
Graham Humphrey

A few things coming up which may be of interest to those nearby...

Our last meet was again really busy and a lot of fun - multiplayer games abound and plenty of hardware and software-related troubleshooting and fixing, too. 21 people attended and plenty of newcomers which is encouraging. Some pics here.

Our next meet is Friday 26th April from 6:15pm until 10pm. We've also got two more booked:

Tuesday 18th June (from 5:30pm), and Saturday 20th July (from 4:30pm).

We're also going to be at the Norwich Games Festival this year at the Forum, which is quite exciting. We'll be there on Monday 27th May and again on Friday the 31st, so do come and say hi - we'll have Amigas running and some nice flyers to hand out
Old 28 June 2019, 20:00   #17
Graham Humphrey

Haven't updated this in a while so thought I would on the off-chance some people nearby happen to read this...

We had a great time at the Norwich Games Festival last month. We had several machines set up (albeit with some hardware malfunctions on the second day), competitions running and we attracted a lot of attention from lots of visitors, young and old. Some photos are here and here.

Also there are photos from our April and June meets. The latest one was really popular (serial-linked Skidmarks was a highlight_ and our next meet on 20th July should be even bigger (including a Dynablaster tournament). We've also booked one in for 29th August as well.

If you're in the area or will be at these times, do come and see us - we're open to all and there's a great atmosphere at these events
Old 16 October 2019, 08:52   #18
Graham Humphrey

Wow, it's been months since I've updated this; a lot's happened in the meantime and you never know, potentially interested people could stumble across this...

Our next meet is Tuesday 22nd October (17:00-21:30), for which the event page on Facebook is here. We're also planning to stream one of our machines on Twitch (most likely my A600).

We've had some really busy meetups in recent months. 30 people turned up to our August meet which was amazing. Last month had only 12 but we were affected by the awful weather that weekend.

Here are some photos of our July, August and September meets.

We also went to the Computing History Museum in Cambridge on Saturday, the 15 of us from the group who attended were treated to a guided tour from Jason, the director, and we had an amazing time. I took a lot of photos for this.

Finally, if you're reading this and want to attend, just turn up on the evening of the meet - that's it! If you use social media, we have a Facebook group (currently 152-strong) which is for those based in or from East Anglia, and our Twitter handle is @NorwichAmigaGrp

Alternatively, send me a PM
Old 22 October 2019, 13:50   #19
Graham Humphrey

Bump! We're meeting tonight at the One Life Left Cafe on St Benedict's Street from 17:00 to 21:30.

If you want to see us stream on Twitch (live from the Cafe and my Amiga 600), we'll be live from 18:30 BST and you can catch us here: https://www.twitch.tv/one_life_left_ngc
Old 15 February 2024, 09:18   #20
Graham Humphrey

Wow, I haven't updated this for quite some time...

If any of you are based in and around Norwich and aren't aware of us yet, we meet up every month (more or less) at the Albion Games Cafe at 21 St Benedicts Street, Norwich, NR2 4PF.

Our next meet is on Wednesday 28th February (17:00 - 21:30) and it is free to attend - just turn up on the day. If you're on a certain social media site you can find an event page here which you can respond to if you wish to receive reminders/updates etc.

We've also got a whole load of photos from previous meets, and other events such as local gaming expos that we exhibited at. This album is from our latest meet and it was a really busy evening. Hoping for more of the same this time

We've got a really vibrant community now and the events we hold always have a good atmosphere, so in my totally biased opinion, it's well worth a look if you find yourself in the area when we're meeting up.

If you have any questions or want more details feel free to get in touch!