English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 May 2021, 17:51   #81
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Well, if you don't know, you don't know Daedalus. It is fun to find stuff.
Aww, spoilsport! It begs the question though, why are you still looking for things like single Zorro slots when your dream solution is available?

Quote:
CS Labs Warp 1260 boys - they have a website. They should communicate to the masses on status clearly. It would be easy to post a quick text update once a month perhaps, or as needed. So thanks for the excuses, but these boys are a communication disappointment. This one won't fly. Communicate to the masses, or reply to emails - otherwise you're just giving potential customers like me to realize this is not wroth spending money on. They are trying to create heat, gave product out for reviews, videos, and have absolutely nothing to sell with it.
But there *is* no update. The information out there already is the information that exists. How many times does this need to be pointed out to you?

Quote:
Oh well...I've moved on from wanting that product anyway as noted. 68060 is pointless and unnecessary. Like an aero kit on a 1992 Civic.
Oh so fickle. But, given you're still moaning about the situation, it doesn't really sound like you've moved on. Are you really sure you don't still want an 060?

Quote:
Like the TF1260 - not possible to have because some baby had a baby tantrum - something along the lines "I have one and you wooooon't!" Like someone said, the scene is fragmented and for the few doing things successfully and professionally the rewards are there to be had.
Anyone can have a TF1260 if they just ask nicely and not stomp around making silly demands.

Quote:
I was very specific about the Zorro II expansion - stating SINGLE ZORRO II. Such an extension would allow a desktoped 1200 to have a single card and not require a giant tower setup. For example, in a 1500 case, or for those putting 1200s in other relatively slim cases. I almost feel a 1200 mobo in a 128D case would even be able to host that Zorro II slot with a graphic card.
Right, so you want an expansion tailored for your exact setup? Gotcha... I still don't see why a Mediator can't be used - right-angled PCI adaptors have been a thing for years. But of course, if you really wanted a solution, you'd have already spotted that and put your A1200 in a suitable case.
Old 17 May 2021, 19:26   #82
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser3 View Post
I have some extra time and am looking for a way to contribute to the Amiga community.

I don't want to list my special talents, or lack thereof, just let me know what you think the community needs. If i choose not to do it maybe someone else will.
If it were possible to do(?), it would be incredibly helpful to have a self-contained USB flash drive (something along the lines of MouSTer, which plugs into any Amiga mouse/joystick port) that you can simply plug into any 3.1+ Amiga and transfer files to/from.

I asked the creator of MouSTer if it was something he'd be interested in doing, and though it sounded interesting, he already has too many projects to work on.

Last edited by gdonner; 17 May 2021 at 19:31.
Old 17 May 2021, 21:46   #83
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Aww, spoilsport! It begs the question though, why are you still looking for things like single Zorro slots when your dream solution is available?

But there *is* no update. The information out there already is the information that exists. How many times does this need to be pointed out to you?

Oh so fickle. But, given you're still moaning about the situation, it doesn't really sound like you've moved on. Are you really sure you don't still want an 060?

Anyone can have a TF1260 if they just ask nicely and not stomp around making silly demands.

Right, so you want an expansion tailored for your exact setup? Gotcha... I still don't see why a Mediator can't be used - right-angled PCI adaptors have been a thing for years. But of course, if you really wanted a solution, you'd have already spotted that and put your A1200 in a suitable case.
It doesn't exist yet, but it's being worked on. It's not a dream expansion card solution like I noted would be a wish, but it addresses the features requested to a great extent.

Actually, there was an update in March of naked WARP1260 boards. Still no mechanism to place orders. Still no reply. I give up.

Yeah, I'd like to support some of these efforts, but clearly my support is not wanted.

All I had to do is ask for a TF? I was asking nicely and was told "people are dicks" "no TF!" Silly demands? What silly demands are these? Ones where someone did some lovely work and others recognize it and want to support it with money? Along the lines of OP actually.

Mediator is too big to fit in anything but a tower.

Don't want to point out just the bad. An example of how a project should be run is the UNAMIGA. Sweet mercy - how well it was done. Proper order website from day one, details, precise ordering info, mechanism to pay, updates, recent shipping confirmation. Just a pleasure to buy something from someone who knows how to do it right.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 17 May 2021 at 21:59.
Old 29 May 2021, 03:25   #84
redblade
Zone Friend

A Scam/shit coin, which supports NFTs so people can put their source code, mods, pixel art, ascii art to it.
One that you can read about the latest 680x0 cache optimising techniques on eab about.
Old 29 May 2021, 07:21   #85
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
A Scam/shit coin, which supports NFTs
I feel so old and ignorant of the modern world - I have no idea what you are you are talking about.
Old 29 May 2021, 08:06   #86
Syntrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I feel so old and ignorant of the modern world - I have no idea what you are you are talking about.
In short, "hot air".
NFT's are digital signatures stored on distributed ledgers. They can be used too prove that you own a picture or other file format. These NFT's also cost money. So you can buy a Andy Warhall picture of Blondy and than prove too the world that you bought it. Of course you could also simply download it and skip the NFT part and have the same image. Thats why its hot air, a scam.

Its a new hype, tailing on technologies used by bitcoin.

Old 29 May 2021, 16:55   #87
Laupert

An Amiga app store with content from all publishers, where you can filter releases by genre, minimum hardware requirements etc. I'd be buying a lot more Amiga software if it was more easily available.
Old 29 May 2021, 18:03   #88
QuikSanz

I was just thinking of that. A place where you could get any old software. Something like BTTR where there have all the manuals, maps etc. and you can buy it, the original publisher would get a percentage of the reprint profit.

Chris
Old 29 May 2021, 19:22   #89
Laupert

Sure, a legit channel for old software would be great too, but I was mostly thinking of new software. Something in the line of the app stores or even Steam for Amiga releases. Obviously, as most Amiga's are not connected to the internet, you would have be able to download your purchases on other platforms.

I beleive this would be a great way for consumers to discover new (and old) games and software, and an incentive for developers as well.
Old 29 May 2021, 21:04   #90
QuikSanz

Something like Steam is also a good idea, something not hard to get to like a few places for A1 software are. Must be able to get there from 030 minimum machine.

Hmm, probably a bad idea, just put on a flash from another machine and all is good.

Last edited by QuikSanz; 29 May 2021 at 21:24.
Old 29 May 2021, 23:45   #91
BanisterDK

Aminet is a good source of available PD software.
Perhaps a more modern design to ease the navigation.
Like choosing OS and search in there

Perhaps a website with crash courses for different applications and programming languages as videoes (E-Learning) or text based with pictures.
Old 30 May 2021, 00:09   #92
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupert View Post
Sure, a legit channel for old software would be great too, but I was mostly thinking of new software. Something in the line of the app stores or even Steam
App stores? Steam? Hell no! One reason I still use an Amiga is to keep away from that crap.

The old methods of software distribution are fine. I love it that new games are being produced on physical media with nice boxes and manuals - just like the old days. Now that retro computers are becoming 'collectible', other associated physical stuff is becoming more desirable too. Some of those old games had more value in the box and bits than in the game itself!

Having a collection of games with nice boxes is worth it even if you hardly ever play them, just like those books you read only once that sit proudly on the shelf. And if obtaining new games is difficult because you have to buy them from obscure websites and wait ages to receive them, that just makes them worth more!

Which brings to mind another thing the Amiga community could do with - a reliable supply of good quality DD disks. I purchased a few hundred used Amiga disks from a local guy, but most have mold growth that's very difficult to remove, and many of them are low quality brands that had a high failure rate even when new. If only I had bought a carton of Fuji disks back in the 90's and squirreled them away for the future...
Old 30 May 2021, 01:46   #93
QuikSanz

I'll second that!
Old 30 May 2021, 08:23   #94
Laupert

Quote:
App stores? Steam? Hell no! One reason I still use an Amiga is to keep away from that crap.

The old methods of software distribution are fine. I love it that new games are being produced on physical media with nice boxes and manuals - just like the old days. Now that retro computers are becoming 'collectible', other associated physical stuff is becoming more desirable too. Some of those old games had more value in the box and bits than in the game itself!

Having a collection of games with nice boxes is worth it even if you hardly ever play them, just like those books you read only once that sit proudly on the shelf. And if obtaining new games is difficult because you have to buy them from obscure websites and wait ages to receive them, that just makes them worth more!
I understand your point of view and I do somewhat agree. I love that box releases are still a thing and in alternate reality where I had the time and space (those square meters are expensive) to collect for all my different retros, maybe I would.

To me, Amiga isn't primarily about investment or collecting items, and to be honest I don't really care what things are worth. I do collect, but my interest is first and foremost in the hardware.

And don't take "app store" so literally. What I want is simply a website or service with that makes software more available. If the same "app store" can also sell physical releases that would be even better. Having digital releases will never take away the value of box releases, if anything wider distribution will just make them more sought after.
Old 30 May 2021, 08:55   #95
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

A new AmTelnet-II Version which supports SSH.2
Old 31 May 2021, 04:12   #96
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:

Which brings to mind another thing the Amiga community could do with - a reliable supply of good quality DD disks. I purchased a few hundred used Amiga disks from a local guy, but most have mold growth that's very difficult to remove, and many of them are low quality brands that had a high failure rate even when new. If only I had bought a carton of Fuji disks back in the 90's and squirreled them away for the future...
Couldn't agree with you more on physical software distribution. No irritating logins, no-one else 'owns' your content (so they can't remove it later) and you can resell it if you wish.

For DD disks, eBay seems to be the best source. I buy NOS (still sealed) boxes of disks. No guarantee they'll all work of course (about ~80% are reliable IMO) but so far 3M, BASF and Fuji brands seem to be the most durable.
Old 31 May 2021, 22:55   #97
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
All I had to do is ask for a TF? I was asking nicely and was told "people are dicks" "no TF!" Silly demands? What silly demands are these? Ones where someone did some lovely work and others recognize it and want to support it with money? Along the lines of OP actually.
No you did NOT ask nicely .. you was very very demanding..

and I can tell you over 200 TF1260 have so far been delivered... just so you know..

Last edited by Chucky; 31 May 2021 at 23:26.
Old 31 May 2021, 23:24   #98
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

So continuing to brainstorm i would add:
- an instant plug-and play Hard disk emulator for low end machines like A500 (1.2 and up, A1000 and A600/A1200) to enhance experience and give the gift of huge storage

And, what i think might be needed as retro musician and contributor:
Some kind of Bounty system for tweak/redo ugly game ports so that developers will have anyway some return money in their pocket once finished the job, similar to the Power2People one used by AROS.

That might be a starter to motivate in port of fairly complex projects like those mentioned on the 'What Game to Port' thread - of course not the only motivator
Old 31 May 2021, 23:41   #99
nikosidis

It was a time where I wished a lot for Amiga. Now I'm just happy it is alive and we see a lot of new games and scene productions for classic Amigas. I have A1200 with Blizzard IV 030, A600 with Furia and some A500s and a lot of CRTs. Life is good
Old 05 July 2021, 01:02   #100
Spriteer

Remembering the years of vaporware just ten years ago, Im really glad that there is so much going on. New HW and SW is coming out all the time! Ppl asking what more is needed. To me these are good times in retro-computing.