English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 04 July 2002, 02:47   #1
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker
[B]Star Trek - Next Generation Trivia (1990)(DevWare)[b](Disk 1 of 2)
Star Trek - Next Generation Trivia (1990)(DevWare)(Disk 2 of 2)

Works!
A bit of background.

This is NGTC, was originally released by Gregory Epley onto Fred Fish disks 404,405,506,507,513 (I think).

Gregory wanted to release it commercially and approached Paramount, but got turned down in favor of a movie tie in, which was a crap game.

Gregory was forced to stop production of the game, and had to ask Fred Fish to remove the disks from the archive. I have the original disks on floppy and ADF's I made somewhere on my HDD. I am doing a hunt of the HDD to find them. (come out come out wherever you are !@!@!@!@!@).

The NGTC game made it to season 2 of TNG.

[edit] the final version of the game is 5 disks, YES 5. not the 2 disk version listed here
[edit] Yipeeeee, found the disks, not ADF, but zippable directories. Found them on my WinUAE Harddrive. Yep, 5 disks definately.

Last edited by whiteb; 04 July 2002 at 03:20.
Old 04 July 2002, 09:37   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb
[edit] the final version of the game is 5 disks, YES 5. not the 2 disk version listed here
[edit] Yipeeeee, found the disks, not ADF, but zippable directories. Found them on my WinUAE Harddrive. Yep, 5 disks definately.
Man, we could sure benefit from having yet another (seemingly) lost game saved from extinction. Any chance of posting? I'll be more than glad to restore them back to floppy/adf format.

I used to have several volumes of a different Star Trek trivia game (from the late 80's, but I forgot the info on it, don't have my PD database handy). Usually only one or two of the games were freely distributed, but I had most of the series. Hopefully it wasn't backed up to one of my infamous AmiBack-destroyed dats, cuz otherwise probably nobody else bothered keeping the game (sigh). Are you familiar with the one I am referring to?
Old 05 July 2002, 08:31   #3
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

Man, we could sure benefit from having yet another (seemingly) lost game saved from extinction. Any chance of posting? I'll be more than glad to restore them back to floppy/adf format.

I used to have several volumes of a different Star Trek trivia game (from the late 80's, but I forgot the info on it, don't have my PD database handy). Usually only one or two of the games were freely distributed, but I had most of the series. Hopefully it wasn't backed up to one of my infamous AmiBack-destroyed dats, cuz otherwise probably nobody else bothered keeping the game (sigh). Are you familiar with the one I am referring to?
In The Zone. 3 TTL.

FF404
FF405
FF506
FF507
FF538

Original Fred Fish directory structure. Gregory liked his documentation, its worth a read

[edit] The pictures gave it away, its the only game of its era with the Lcars interface that I know of, Apparently its also possible to link it up to a touchscreen to get the "True Startrek experience".
Old 06 July 2002, 11:54   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile

Well, I remember an old thread of mine where I also were looking for withdrawn Fish disks.
Here it is.
Old 06 July 2002, 12:11   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I made working adf's of Release 1 of NGTC, although there was no room on the disk for the doc file...

For some reason, Gregory chose the most ridiculous manner of publishing Release 2. Rather than including all of the files, he made several small LZH files and lists of what to replace and what to delete (from Release 1), several different doc files - some explaining how to update, how they won't fit on floppies, dir structures, etc. - it's such a colossal mess that I have yet to complete this extremely cumbersome task of making adf's for Release 2. And I am no AmigaDOS/WB rookie, either. I just can't imagine a messier way to have created such a simple process...even Fred Fish himself didn't bother making an install script because of how "complex" the process is. The guy is so adament about the HD installation of the game, he seems clueless as to how to make the game play from floppies (and his absolute paths to the data files are no help, either!) Needless to say, I am in no hurry to return to adf'ing Release 2, but maybe one day.
Old 06 July 2002, 12:29   #6
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
I made working adf's of Release 1 of NGTC, although there was no room on the disk for the doc file...

For some reason, Gregory chose the most ridiculous manner of publishing Release 2. Rather than including all of the files, he made several small LZH files and lists of what to replace and what to delete (from Release 1), several different doc files - some explaining how to update, how they won't fit on floppies, dir structures, etc. - it's such a colossal mess that I have yet to complete this extremely cumbersome task of making adf's for Release 2. And I am no AmigaDOS/WB rookie, either. I just can't imagine a messier way to have created such a simple process...even Fred Fish himself didn't bother making an install script because of how "complex" the process is. The guy is so adament about the HD installation of the game, he seems clueless as to how to make the game play from floppies (and his absolute paths to the data files are no help, either!) Needless to say, I am in no hurry to return to adf'ing Release 2, but maybe one day.
Back when I was a noob aswell, when this was released and I got it working all the way upto the full 5 disks (Which I still have).
I thought the docs had floppy installation, thats what I worked off.

The problem is, they are packed whilst the house is on the market for sale (along with my 4 amiga's).

So WinUAE supports this fully ? I am gonna play with it when I get the time.

[edit] as far as the docco goes, and with the space saved, bung on powerpacker library and PPMORE and PP the docco down.
Old 06 July 2002, 13:06   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Actually, lha archived the docs even smaller than PowerPacker, but it still wouldn't fit on the disk.
Old 06 July 2002, 13:24   #8
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Actually, lha archived the docs even smaller than PowerPacker, but it still wouldn't fit on the disk.
Hmmmm, you running on a Standard file system ADF ? or have you reformatted it to FFS ? (is this possible ?)
Old 06 July 2002, 13:26   #9
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb

Hmmmm, you running on a Standard file system ADF ? or have you reformatted it to FFS ? (is this possible ?)
Edit - What version of Powerpacker ? I got 4.1 (I think)
Old 06 July 2002, 14:05   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I used standard filesystem. I suppose I could use fastfilesystem, but then the game would no longer work with 1.3. I can't remember which version of PowerPacker, but I know I have the lastest and must assume that's what I was using. In any case, I believe the Huffman compression that LHA uses is more efficient than whatever algorithm PP uses. But even if it did produce a smaller file, there would still be no room on the disk for ppmore and/or powerpacker.library. I haven't tried packing the executable, but the docs implied the game didn't work properly if pp'd (which doesn't really make sense to me, but I just left it at that).

The Release 1 disk(s) I made are not bootable, either, due to being so full (no room for system files, which I assume some of will be needed). So even if the library is included on the floppy, when running the game from WB/floppy (after booting a hard drive-based system), the library will have to be on SYS:libs rather than the floppy disk, so it's still not floppy independant. Bottom line is this should be a 3-disk game, rather than 2. I believe in order to make it work as a 3-disk (floppy-based) game, some hex-editing of the data file paths would be neccesary. All in all, a pain.
Old 16 June 2014, 18:39   #11
s2325
Zone Friend

Whom III is info collection about StarTrek on 3 floppy disks. Navigating may be complicated. There is compact disc icon so maybe they planned CD release. It's on EAB server.
Old 06 August 2014, 05:07   #12
jdryyz

I would love to have this five disk set for NGTC. I have a two-disk version that I can longer get to work for some reason I do not recall.

Last edited by jdryyz; 06 August 2014 at 16:24.
Old 06 August 2014, 07:29   #13
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Re-opened thread after 12 years? Oh man, EAB is OLD
Old 07 October 2016, 13:13   #14
s2325
Zone Friend

Spar Trek 6,5 is Amiga animation where crew have CD32 on Enterprise:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 October 2016, 18:47   #15
s2325
Zone Friend

Amiga on Enterprise: http://cd.textfiles.com/gifsgalore-v...k/ami_trek.gif
Old 18 May 2017, 03:04   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Just an update on NGTC, on and off over the time, what with lots of stuff going on with twin kids now....... (One is autistic) I do not get a lot of time to myself.

I have taken the Fish disks and worked on HD install. The author (Gregory Epley) did include a script for HDD, but (unless I stuffed something up) still referenced the floppies in its Assign commands.

I have Version 1 (Fish 404, 405) HDD installed, and running fine. I will get around to Fish 506 and 507 (Season 2 questions) and Fish 538 (Season 2 update and bug fix) soon

If anyone knows what happened to Gregory Epley..., I need to speak to him on the creation of the dat files and encryption

[edit] I have updated the NGTC to Version 2 (Fish 506 & 507), I have also created the 5 disk set in ADF up to Revision 2, but I need to verify they run and sort out any assignment issues (HDD is still calling Floppy assignments), Instead of simple assignments, I think its coded in to the film file. Then update to Fish 538 (Revision 2 update).

What I intend to do, is supply HD images of Release 1 (404, 405), Release 2 (506, 507), and Revision 2 Update (538), as well as the 5 disk set in ADF ready to go.

I cannot find my original set on floppy. (Would it even work after 25 years )

Last edited by whiteb; 18 May 2017 at 09:25.
Old 23 July 2017, 13:42   #17
Tomislav

http://amiga-fish.erkan.se/amiga-fis...-content-NGTC/
Old 16 August 2017, 14:28   #18
Seiya

http://www.amigapage.it/index.php?pl...k_the_game.mp4
Old 31 August 2018, 09:23   #19
whiteb