English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 August 2020, 01:39   #61
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
By the way, has anyone managed to get USB working better than in my post from Feb? If you have, I'd very much like to hear about it!
Hi Wrangler, unfortunately I don't have a Voodoo 3 for my AA3000+ so I am unable to test any hardware which needs the DMA (I'm assuming the ArakAttack needs DMA).

Darren
Old 21 August 2020, 19:03   #62
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Hi Wrangler, unfortunately I don't have a Voodoo 3 for my AA3000+ so I am unable to test any hardware which needs the DMA (I'm assuming the ArakAttack needs DMA).

Darren

IIRC USB cards with VIA chipsets don't use DMA so that's an option. But then you'd expect performance not to be as good* as DMA cards (NEC)

* I'm using this word liberally - I mean rubbish
Old 21 August 2020, 23:52   #63
DarrenHD

Quote:
IIRC USB cards with VIA chipsets don't use DMA so that's an option. But then you'd expect performance not to be as good* as DMA cards (NEC)

* I'm using this word liberally - I mean rubbish
ok great, next problem I don't think I have a USB card with a VIA Chipset But I will check. I do have a valid license key for Arakattack, I bought one back in the day for my Amithlon computer. Unfortunately I never got Arakattack to work on Amithlon, even though that PC motherboard has a VIA chipset.

Darren
Old 07 September 2020, 05:41   #64
DarrenHD

Quote:
Hi Wrangler. I actually found a PCI USB card with the Via chipset in one of my boxes...I tried it in the AA3000+ and it is detected by prmscan. So I will try to get the USB stack working.

If not, I do have a Voodoo 3 coming next week. I found a relatively* cheap one on eBay from Canada...

* relatively meaning I only had to sacrifice one kidney, not both
Old 07 September 2020, 06:20   #65
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Hi Wrangler. I actually found a PCI USB card with the Via chipset in one of my boxes...I tried it in the AA3000+ and it is detected by prmscan. So I will try to get the USB stack working.
Ok, so I got ArakAttack installed. Edited the installer file as per your info. I got an error, but it turned out it doesn't like the Installer with AmigaOS 3.1.4. So I used the Installer from 3.9 and that worked. Ok. Poseidon 4.4 installed as well, PrometheusUSB selected.

Unfortunately Trident/Poseidon fails when trying to bring the device online. I'll have the Voodoo 3 next week and will be able to try again

Darren

PS - Wrangler - if you could send me the Keyfile for ArakAttack that would be great.
Old 11 September 2020, 07:17   #66
DarrenHD

@ thread

Got my Voodoo 3 in the AA3000+ working - thanks for all the tips here. The VIA USB card does hang when I try to go "online" with it in Trident prefs. I can still open a shell and I see that PrometheusUSB has allocated DMA memory...so it gets that far....but as I said it hangs in Trident prefs when I click "online". I don't have the registered version though, not sure if that makes a difference.

If someone can send it to me that would be helpful..I can try it.
Old 12 September 2020, 06:48   #67
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Interesting thread.
My AA3000+ is still in Germany, ready to ship to Australia. I’d wish all the smart guys of the community to gather together and come to a plan (even shareware, I’d donate happily) with a complete installer suite and doc to use the Prometheus daughter board.
One can dream, hey...?
Congratulations anyway for sharing everyone’s experience... thanks all.
Old 12 September 2020, 10:51   #68
Wrangler

That would be too easy and no fun!

@DarrenHD you have PM
Old 13 September 2020, 06:17   #69
DarrenHD

@ Thread:

Happy to report that the "AmigaKit AmigaONE PCI wireless card" is working on the AA3000+ ! Took me a bit to get the firmware upgraded on the Wireless card, but eventually I did and now it works connecting to my WPA2 wifi!

Speed is a bit variable, but I am getting up to 225KB download speed, tested with AmiSpeedTest. Upload test doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Real-life downloading from Aminet using IBrowse 2.5.3 I am getting up to 65KB/sec, which is not too bad I guess. Local FTP's seem to be lower using AmiFTP, about 27KB/sec, not sure why.

I should point out I am fairly far from my WIFI router. If I was closer in my house perhaps the speeds would be better.

The card does not appear to use DMA.

Now...have to try the USB card again...Wrangler, what version of Poseidon are you using? (Thanks for the keyfile btw!).

Darren

Last edited by DarrenHD; 13 September 2020 at 06:29.
Old 25 February 2021, 13:32   #70
torsti76

I'm also struggling with ArakAttack. Installed all files manually before stumbling on @Wrangler 's instructions for the installer.

Can get all units online in Poseidon 4.4. However, not a single USB device I plug in is recognized. All give NAK timeouts.

Edit: Also, the OpenPCI RTL8139 causes a guru while (or shortly after) initializing a RTL8139 network card.
Edit2: I'm using a NEC USB card.

I'm using a Voodoo3, btw., which is working flawlessly.

Any hints?

Last edited by torsti76; 26 February 2021 at 10:12.
Old 26 February 2021, 09:55   #71
SLD-SNaKe

I tested a VIA USB card with a borrowed Voodoo3, but I neither couldn't use it (I cannot get online any units), an incompatible chipset? I remember reading something about another chipset, maybe NEC?

By the way... does anyone know if an S3 Trio64V2/DX (86C775) is a valid option for Prometheus? I only seeing references to S3 Virge cards.
Old 26 February 2021, 10:48   #72
trixster
Guru Meditating

I don’t think there are drivers, either for original fw or firestorm fw
Old 26 February 2021, 12:48   #73
torsti76

My troubles seem to stem from OpenPCI. Just tried the newest AHI with the Emu10k SB Live I had running in my A1200 with Mediator. The card seems to basically work but in the best case outputs a beep in the sample frequency given in the AHI prefs.

Worst case, i.e. with the Sulaco demo by encore, the system just freezes.

Can you guys please share your working openpci-setups?
Old 01 March 2021, 01:23   #74
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
My troubles seem to stem from OpenPCI. Just tried the newest AHI with the Emu10k SB Live I had running in my A1200 with Mediator. The card seems to basically work but in the best case outputs a beep in the sample frequency given in the AHI prefs.

Worst case, i.e. with the Sulaco demo by encore, the system just freezes.

Can you guys please share your working openpci-setups?
No one has ever reported that the Emu10k SB Live AHI driver has ever worked with the Mediator or any other PCI board under OS 3.x.
Old 01 March 2021, 04:35   #75
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
No one has ever reported that the Emu10k SB Live AHI driver has ever worked with the Mediator or any other PCI board under OS 3.x.
It for sure did for me! I even built a custom cable to wire the card's internal expansion connector to the front audio ports of the Elbox Blackbox tower and that worked as well.
Btw., by expansion connector I don't mean the "Live!drive" port (which only carries digital signals) but a mini-JST 10 (or 12, can't remember) pin connector found on some OEM cards.
Old 01 March 2021, 08:55   #76
trixster
Guru Meditating

Interesting about the SB Live, I might have to try one in the Mediator machine
Old 02 March 2021, 16:44   #77
A10001986

So that's where you all hide out when not dealing with the DSP....
Old 02 March 2021, 17:36   #78
DarrenHD

Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10001986 View Post
So that's where you all hide out when not dealing with the DSP....
Oh no you found us!!!
Old 02 March 2021, 18:55   #79
trixster
Guru Meditating

Busted!
Old 03 March 2021, 03:46   #80
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
It for sure did for me! I even built a custom cable to wire the card's internal expansion connector to the front audio ports of the Elbox Blackbox tower and that worked as well.
Btw., by expansion connector I don't mean the "Live!drive" port (which only carries digital signals) but a mini-JST 10 (or 12, can't remember) pin connector found on some OEM cards.
I tried this again with the Mediator just to see if maybe something had changed from the last time I tried it and got the exact same result as you.
Added SBLive, updated to AHI6, system would either freeze when playing a test sound or reboot with an 8000 0004 or 8000 0003.

Then I tried the OpenPCI FM801 driver, swapped that card in and would get the same behavior, a little blurt of sound and a lockup.
Switched the FM801 driver to the Elbox one, refresh audiomodes and all that, and it works.

There may have been a time when the A1200 worked with the OpenPCI audio drivers, but I've never had any of them working on an A4000+Mediator.

My config: A4000 in Elbox Mirage Tower, CSPPC, Voodoo 3, Ragnarok, RTL8029, Spider.

Maybe they can work on a Prometheus I have no idea.