English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 January 2009, 03:48   #1
Vars191
The Red Baron Rides Again

Thumbs down Buy of eBay at your own risk

Buy of eBay at your own risk
I have just sold all my Amiga hardware as I got fed up with buying gear and having problems with 75% of what I bought, the eBay description was not correct for example
I bought some Amiga 1200 floppy drives that they claim were fully tested but they forgot to mention that they did not work and I bought a couple of new Amiga 1200 cases they turned out be used ones and it goes on and on
Forget Amiga hardware use WINAUE on a good PC
Old 27 January 2009, 04:00   #2
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Sorry to hear that Vars, I know you seemed to have had worst luck than most in that regard of late.

Good to see you are still sticking with the Amiga "in spirit" though

PZ.
Old 27 January 2009, 13:34   #3
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Really sorry to hear that Vars191...
Old 27 January 2009, 17:33   #4
Jack Biscuit

feel bad for ya, but it ain't all that bad always.
5 quid for a a1200, admittedly sold with no guarantee's, and voila, a little fiddling and it's all gravy.

Best purchase in a year.
Old 27 January 2009, 18:34   #5
Amiga1992

Yeah man, I keep getting good deals on eBay. Seems like you've had a streak of elephants peeing over your head, as we like to say in Argentina.

Don't give up!
Old 27 January 2009, 20:07   #6
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

I bought A1200 of eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280294611239 and according to the description: "computer in working condition with a new motherboard" but it was not a true. First issue was missing composite out resistor, but I can fixed this. Right now I hear that I have busted IDE controller and it is not something to fix. Seller (scroll931) told me that he checked everything (hmm, how can resistor disappear?) and he got a motherboard replaced from service (he claimed to pay $80) so he described as a new.
Old 27 January 2009, 20:24   #7
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

If you payed with paypal, dont you have a way to cancel the money transaction?
Afterall, the item was NOT acordingly with the description...
Old 27 January 2009, 20:26   #8
Amiga1992

YEs, Paypal transactions are eligible for protection, in at least 90% of cases.
You should complain.
Old 27 January 2009, 21:02   #9
Damion

You've got to be careful, research the seller's history, try to use all the information provided by ebay to your advantage. Not to say you haven't been doing this, of course. Definitely file ebay/paypal disputes.

FWIW - I've actually had better luck with ebay than I have dealing directly with the "community". (Though there are a lot of good, honest sellers outside of ebay, for sure!) Gotta use extreme caution no matter where you buy. I was burned on some games recently, and felt about the same way as you... it's frustrating when people outright lie about the condition of things.
Old 28 January 2009, 00:16   #10
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Ebay is always going to be a bit hit and miss... I always try to buy games or hardware from true user's or collector's - there are so many "retro sellers" on ebay now it's a joke... just because you played a few video games in your local chip shop in 1980 makes you an expert on hardware and games.. B*llocks! - I don't know why these people bother risking their job seekers allowance selling at all - they know nothing.

I remember getting a Blizzard SCSI through the post once... in an envelope!!!
It was totally destroyed in the post - I got my money back but that was a piece of decent Amiga hardware down the pan.

I used to like Amibench - nice people on there (apart from the odd rogue) and of course Amibay looks great.. keeps out the riff raff!!
Old 28 January 2009, 11:25   #11
DH
Global Moderator

If I was going to purchase anything Amiga, I would prefer to use a reputable dealer, like Amigakit http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...p?currency=GBP

This way you know you are going to get something that works OK and if there is a problem, you can just send it back and get a replacement. Although you can get bargains of Ebay, sometimes these aren't exactly what has been described. You do have protection with Ebay and Paypal, if the goods were wrongly described you should complain to get your money back + the cost of returning the goods.

Must admit, Amigakit is the way I'll be doing business for my eventual purchase of an A1200 + other goodies, It's pretty safe + good service which I've heard from other members of EAB.
Old 28 January 2009, 19:25   #12
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Yes - Amigakit are excellent - I have used them loads of times and I think they are really good for products, service and advice.
Old 29 January 2009, 22:23   #13
Andymiga
Got the C= spark again :)

One more thumbs up for Amigakit

I had bought a few A600's from eBay and then wanted an A1200 ... I also wanted to make sure I get a decent, tested, clean piece of hardware so I ordered from Amigakit. It was a tad on the expensive side, but the A1200 was also like new, fully working, nice and shiny, perfectly clean. Couldn't be happier. They also have very friendly service.