English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 06 April 2021, 16:35   #681
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ cool !
Old 07 April 2021, 01:10   #682
Mixel

This is a maybe silly question but is there a way (like when you're editing PHP) to comment lines of script, just to temporarily disable them.. For testing purposes? Leaving them there so when you realise you actually want them back you dont have to recreate them?

If there is I don't know how, and if there isn't.. Could there be? I'm finding this would be more useful the more complex the project gets.

Super excited about all the parallax stuff, but you know that already haha.
Old 07 April 2021, 01:37   #683
earok

I haven't really got a quick way to do that yet. Sometimes I've resorted to changing the type to "comment only" which is not a great way of handling it. I've had that request several times so I probably should look into a proper solution for it.

--

Did a tiny bit more on parallax today, I want to be able to both position and scroll the "cloud" layers (parts of the background that only cover a tiny part of the screen, like the moon). I'm a little closer to achieving that.
Old 09 April 2021, 09:17   #684
earok

Here's something exciting. A spreadsheet.

I'll stick with the spreadsheet for configuring parallax for now. Here's what the fields mean:

- SliceLine, basically just the line where you want to configure an independently scrolling "slice"
- InitialOffset, probably best to leave at 0, it's just the initial offset of the parallax
- ScrollSpeed, speed that the slice scrolls at when moving left/right/idle (idle is for things that always move, like background clouds)
- IsForeground, self explanatory
- IsCloud, basically just means don't cover the entire screen with repeating sprites, just use one. Clouds can now be scrolled around the entire screen.
- CloudAnim, this is something new I haven't really demoed yet. Basically a "cloud" can be animated with 16 frames. I haven't thought of many use cases but I figured you could do something like have an animated torch on the back wall of a cavern, for example.

I might have a go at making a simple game over the weekend to give it all a good test.
Old 09 April 2021, 12:23   #685
Mixel

That is possibly the most exciting spreadsheet I’ve ever seen! Lol.

And oh my god the mind boggling amount of possibilities with this!

I’m going to prep some graphics for it now.
Old 09 April 2021, 13:16   #686
earok

hahahaha.

Flappy Bird clone! Every engine has gotta have one.

I'll release an experimental update in a day or two, there's one or two nasty bugs that I want to try and solve first.

This is the image that I generated, basically each 32x slice can be "animated", which is what I did for the island reflection.

It needs to take a 512x wide image now, with everything nicely aligned in those 32x slices, BUT there'll be a tool involved that'll generate that image from a 32x or 16x one.

Old 09 April 2021, 13:31   #687
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

And even the clouds and the moon are moving !
Old 10 April 2021, 03:54   #688
earok

Checked in the advanced parallax stuff to experimental, along with the complete "Flighty Fox" sample game (I don't normally include demos in experimental but, figured it was pretty important to have a working demo of the new parallax capabilities).

An ADF of the demo itself is on itch, I really should start putting more of my stuff there. https://earok.itch.io/flighty-fox

Edit: Two reported bugs have been fixed. Sometimes the editor would crash when importing an image for parallax, also under some rare circumstances an attack animation would 'stick' permanently.

I think I'll aim to do the public 2021.5 release in the next week or so, main thing I want to do is rework the Amigo the Fox sample game to make all levels use lots of parallax.

Last edited by earok; 10 April 2021 at 11:57.
Old 10 April 2021, 12:17   #689
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
hahahaha.

Flappy Bird clone! Every engine has gotta have one.

I'll release an experimental update in a day or two, there's one or two nasty bugs that I want to try and solve first.

This is the image that I generated, basically each 32x slice can be "animated", which is what I did for the island reflection.

It needs to take a 512x wide image now, with everything nicely aligned in those 32x slices, BUT there'll be a tool involved that'll generate that image from a 32x or 16x one.

I'm looking forward to test this on my A1200. I'm amazed
Old 10 April 2021, 12:56   #690
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I'm looking forward to test this on my A1200. I'm amazed
Hope it works for you!
Old 11 April 2021, 00:52   #691
earok

Checked in a couple of parallax fixes to experimental for EHB mode on AGA, also resolved a couple of other minor sprite parallax bugs.
Old 11 April 2021, 04:37   #692
Mixel

Haha! Fixed it before I even got a chance to test it. (tidying/decorating the kid’s room while she’s away, this apparently takes days.. uuurgh)

That 512px long image has me scratching my head slightly. Really looking forward to sinking my teeth into this. Like.. *everything* can be animated? I’m going to try not to go overboard with this stuff. (ooh, heat haze, flickering lights, rain, etc etc! Argh!)
Old 11 April 2021, 05:15   #693
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Haha! Fixed it before I even got a chance to test it. (tidying/decorating the kid’s room while she’s away, this apparently takes days.. uuurgh)

That 512px long image has me scratching my head slightly. Really looking forward to sinking my teeth into this. Like.. *everything* can be animated? I’m going to try not to go overboard with this stuff. (ooh, heat haze, flickering lights, rain, etc etc! Argh!)
It's complicated and a bit hard to explain, but in general:

- "Clouds" where it's only 32x wide can be both scrolled or animated.
- The rest could theoretically be scrolled OR animated, but both wouldn't really be possible.

It might be possible to do an effect like the parallax on the vertical turrican stages, though that's not really tested yet.
Old 11 April 2021, 16:22   #694
earok

I saw Bad Apple running on the TIC-80 today and thought I'd try and make a similar port to Scorpion.

It.. didn't do as well as I hoped it would. It works but it's bad both in resolution and speed. I'm still pleased I managed to get it going at all though, given the engine is not at all designed for it.

If you're morbidly curious, it's here. Needs 1MB of contiguous RAM (so A600 seems to work, but 512+512 like on A500 won't work). Doesn't have any music, and may take a little while before anything shows on screen. Probably needs something like an 030+fastram to run at a vaguely acceptable framerate.

http://earok.net/bad_apple.adf
Old 11 April 2021, 20:09   #695
AF2013

Thumbs up

Looking good earok! I like the wavey water effect reflections and colorful screen like what Amiga used to be
Old 12 April 2021, 00:03   #696
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF2013 View Post
Looking good earok! I like the wavey water effect reflections and colorful screen like what Amiga used to be

Did an update to the Bad Apple port, it's marginally more efficient than before. But it's also interactive.

Does anyone have a four channel mod file of Bad Apple I can use?

http://earok.net/bad_apple.adf
Old 12 April 2021, 00:16   #697
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

ross has a lot to worry about
Old 12 April 2021, 00:28   #698
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
ross has a lot to worry about
Hahahaha, I know his is going to be a whole lot more impressive

Seriously, Ross is incredible
Old 12 April 2021, 00:40   #699
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^
but so is 'Scorpion engine' and you for creating it
Old 13 April 2021, 03:47   #700
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
^
but so is 'Scorpion engine' and you for creating it
thank you!

Latest update pushed to experimental. More or less just a quality of life update.

- Fixed issue where compilation would fail if parallax data CSV was opened elsewhere (this should hopefully fix some other random issues where Scorpion complains about a file being opened during compilation).
- Added ability to 'disable' lines of code.
- Added the Bad Apple demo. I'll likely add the Bad Apple demo to the public version, though I do want to try and get a mod sorted out first.