English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 July 2002, 00:37   #1
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Stick out tongue Stunt Car Racer - Link Play

I've been trying to get WinUAE and my A500 hooked up to play Stunt Car Racer with a friend, but to no avail.

The correct COM port is selected in Winuae, and the connection works fine with Amiga Explorer. Am i doing something wrong, or is the serial port not correctly emulated yet? I have tried the "shared" setting.

Anybody tried this? How did you configure the serial port on the PC side? I would love to be able to do this ;-))

I am using Win98SE.
Old 24 July 2002, 02:19   #2
Unregistered

The serail port settings are altered by going into the Control Panel\System screen, Device Manager tab, Ports (COM & LPT). Select the correct COM port, and click on Properties, Port Settings tab.

Old 24 July 2002, 02:22   #3
AdamSelene

Bugger! My system's playing me about! Didn't realise that it had reverted to a backup Registry file, so I wasn't logged on when I posted...d'oh! I meant "serial port settings"!

Old 24 July 2002, 05:52   #4
Amiga1992

It might not work anyway. I think the handshaking wasn't properly emulated and link games wouldn't work.

Then again, I tried to do this with Populous II a couple of years ago. It might work now... Toni?

Also, keep in mind the serial port must be properly configured on the Amiga side too! Make sure serial.device is present in your game disk, and that the settings are correct. Use an old Preferences tool like...what was the name of that one with a pic of an A1000 and a question mark?? well, that one.

If it works lemme know, I want to try 8 player Super Skidmarks
Old 24 July 2002, 18:53   #5
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Stick out tongue Well...

Stuntcar Racer doesn't run off of a WB disk, i guess it uses its own protocl to handle traffic on the serial port. I know how to configure my serial port on the PC side, i was just wondering if there were any particular settings that were known to work.

Thanks both of you, i would love to hear what Toni Wilen has to say on the subject... Are you there, Toni? ;-)
Old 24 July 2002, 19:24   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I haven't touched serial port emulation, so I am not sure how handshakes are emulated.

But I think there are other problems too:

1: games might use non-standard baud rates or other tricks that PC serial port hardware can't handle.

2: lag. Data flow when using real Amigas: serial port in Amiga1 -> serial wire -> serial port in Amiga2. Emulator needs to do following: emulated Amiga1 serial port -> Win32 serial API -> Win32 serial driver -> PC serial port -> serial wire and same backwards. I am sure this will cause problems with games that probably expect normal serial timing. (?)

3: some new mainboards don't anymore have serial ports

I think the simplest solution is to transfer serial data via TCP/IP LAN..
Old 24 July 2002, 20:08   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
The question is though how you can connect a RJ-45 cable to an A500
Old 24 July 2002, 20:32   #8
Amiga1992

It might be the time for Eyetech to create a Serial-to-Ethernet transceiver or something
Old 24 July 2002, 20:45   #9
§ane

In the near future I would like to see those games that function over serial or parallel cable mapped to work over TCP/IP, the sole reason being they are obviously not fully Kaillera-compliant. Not that it will help in this situation but imagine playing a game like "Powermonger" online!
Old 25 July 2002, 04:36   #10
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Thumbs up Thanks everyone

Now, what i need is a PSU and a working internal drive for my other A500!
Old 25 July 2002, 16:09   #11
Nian

Nullmovem to TCP/ip netplay

Of all the features UAE truely needs I would place NullModem mapped to tcp/ip as one of the more important for the amiga gamer. I for one am in dire need of some online Lotus2 gaming and ofcourse we all know thats not possible so can one of the programmers of UAE please take note and add this feature.