English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2007, 07:17   #1
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Problem testing Toccata working?

I have just installed a Toccata in my A4000T, however, it does not seem to be producing any sound at all.

It comes up fine in early startup, and i installed the version 1.1 of the Toccata install disk.

When I connect the AUX2 input to the A4000T standard paula output (using an RCAs smaller plug adapter), I don't get any sound. I have tested the paula output connectors so I know they are working.

I have made sure in the toccata mixer that the AUX2 input is not muted, and I also have the 2 jumpers on the board open.

I have the english version of the toccata manual, and I think i am following all the instructions.

Also, I don't know how to play any sounds using the Toccata in workbench to make it easier to test instead of using a floppy game, I suppose I should first test to see if the output is capable of sound before trying to mix. Anyone know of a proper program I can use?
Old 10 June 2007, 08:56   #2
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Just an update.

Thankfully, it seems the Toccata is working fine for both recording (via line in) and playback, I used the ToccataRecorder tool to test this. I just needed to set the volumes higher in the ToccataControl.

However, I can't get the mix in for aux2 input to work properly. I can hear extremely faint sound playing from the speakers when trying to mix in the amiga's audio into AUX2.

These are the settings I have in ToccataControl: 16bit, stereo, 48000Hz, input: mix, input level: max, aux1: mute, aux2: max(+12), loopback: -30, output volume: max (0).

I can't set the loopback any higher to increase the volume else I get loud feedback (ouch).

Can anyone tell me what settings they use to mix in the amiga paula sound to the toccata and what good program I can use to test in workbench?

EDIT: Surely I don't need to pre-amp the input to AUX2? I thought you could directly put the amiga audio output into there...

Last edited by Calgor; 10 June 2007 at 10:27. Reason: Changed ToccataMixer to ToccataControl to avoid confusion
Old 11 June 2007, 05:54   #3
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Any Toccata users care to comment?
Old 11 June 2007, 12:33   #4
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Im mixin paula sound thru aux1 (wit short homemade chinch-jack cable)and it works fine, line in is used for CD audio

http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/temp/A4000...koro_final.jpg

jumpers are opened (they are for mic pre-amp?)
http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/temp/tocat...dvetoccaty.jpg

Last edited by Chain; 11 June 2007 at 12:42.
Old 11 June 2007, 15:46   #5
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@ Chain

Thanks for the info, line in for me works fine, and aux1 probably would be another option (or mic with gain), but it states in the manual aux2 is specifically recommended for amiga input.

The jumpers are there so that if you close them both, you can use line-in for the mixer instead of aux2 (which would probably be disabled in that case).

Actually it specifically states in the manual that aux2 is different from line-in and aux1 because it is a "low-level input". Certainly does not seem like this to me! More like acting permanently muted or an extremely high level input.
Old 11 June 2007, 16:02   #6
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor
@ Chain
but it states in the manual aux2 is specifically recommended for amiga input.
i dont have manual
Old 11 June 2007, 16:10   #7
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

UPDATE:

I have found out that AUX2 is working perfectly in Workbench, but only because the tool ToccataInit is in WBStartup folder so that it changes AUX2 from muted to +12 level (as this has been saved using ToccataControl).

The manual says that anything set in ToccataControl and saved will be available even from cold start. But it is not available until ToccataInit is run! Am I doing something wrong??? Using ToccataControl v1.1.

EDIT: Maybe someone can confirm that the above is the way it is supposed to work, maybe you are not supposed to have it available for games, but only for workbench...
Old 13 June 2007, 00:30   #8
a_petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor
UPDATE:

I have found out that AUX2 is working perfectly in Workbench, but only because the tool ToccataInit is in WBStartup folder so that it changes AUX2 from muted to +12 level (as this has been saved using ToccataControl).

The manual says that anything set in ToccataControl and saved will be available even from cold start. But it is not available until ToccataInit is run! Am I doing something wrong??? Using ToccataControl v1.1.

EDIT: Maybe someone can confirm that the above is the way it is supposed to work, maybe you are not supposed to have it available for games, but only for workbench...
I don't know whether it is supposed to work this way, but my Toccata also stays quiet after power-on until ToccataInit.

As my A4000 has a 060 CPU card, I can't play most of my favorite games without WHDLoad anyway; however, sometimes I have to boot without Startup-Sequence (to run some exotic demos, for example) so I just created a small script with only these three lines to hear the Paula sound through the Toccata's mixer without booting the whole Workbench:

Assign ENV: RAM:
Copy SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/toccata.#? ENV:
SYS:Utilities/ToccataTools/ToccataInit
Old 13 June 2007, 11:43   #9
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@a_petri

Thanks for confirming it! And also for the tips.

Maybe it can also be available for games using something like eflash/kickflash/blizkick?? Haven't used any of those so not sure of their powers.

Perhaps someone who has can elaborate if they can execute commands before the floppy is booted such as the ones shown above?
Old 16 August 2007, 12:14   #10
jimbo100

How do you hear any sound?

I have it installed but it's silent?

Can you use it with games (WHDLoad)

What about AMPlifier? Can't get any output at all?
Old 16 August 2007, 13:26   #11
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

To get any sound (redirected from paula output) you need to connect the actual Paula output of your amiga to one of the input connectors on the Toccata. The manual recommends AUX2 for paula input.

Then you load up the ToccataControl prefs editor and make sure AUX2 is not muted.

Then you need to load the ToccataInit in either WBStartup, or in the Startup-Sequence as shown by a_petri above.

Haven't tested it with WHDLoad, would be awesome if it works! Also haven't tested AMPlifier - I am currently using my Concierto output as that also works without Workbench (AUX2 is defaulted to mute in the hardware)

I suppose one of the other inputs may be able to be used instead of AUX2 that is not muted by default in the hardware, but I have so many things to play with on the amiga I haven't had the chance.

Will let you know when I run those programs.
Old 16 August 2007, 14:10   #12
jimbo100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
To get any sound (redirected from paula output) you need to connect the actual Paula output of your amiga to one of the input connectors on the Toccata. The manual recommends AUX2 for paula input.

Then you load up the ToccataControl prefs editor and make sure AUX2 is not muted.

Then you need to load the ToccataInit in either WBStartup, or in the Startup-Sequence as shown by a_petri above.

Haven't tested it with WHDLoad, would be awesome if it works! Also haven't tested AMPlifier - I am currently using my Concierto output as that also works without Workbench (AUX2 is defaulted to mute in the hardware)

YES! I have sound now!

Using the cable suggestions you mentioned!!

I can't get AMPlifier working thou! Error I get is "Couldn't open AHI deveice V4"

I have installed the version on aminet which is 6.0. Anyone know what or how I can set AMPlifer for the Toccata Sound card?