English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 26 July 2003, 20:23   #1
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Amiga CD32/CDTV FTP site

Greetings Retro Gamers
I've completed my web page for my ftp server which some of you might know from the AMIGA CD32 & CDTV Board.
It still needs a few things added but its operational enough to give you a feel of what it will become.
Let me know what you think and enjoy your stay!

My Site for Fans

Last edited by TheBoss; 29 January 2004 at 19:31.
Old 26 July 2003, 20:25   #2
woody57

looks intresting will await some features
Old 26 July 2003, 21:42   #3
RCK
Administrator

Welcome to the EAB !
website > nice layout
Old 27 July 2003, 09:20   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I have no Flash, so it was a mess for me...
Old 27 July 2003, 10:16   #5
TheBoss

To bad TG but alot of sites uses flash today so im surprised you havent the nessecerily files to view my site. I'm not going to redesign it because some users wont install a flash plugin thats under half a MB I will however add this to the FAQ section so other users know what to do if they experince the similar.
Old 27 July 2003, 11:32   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Welcome to EAB.

Aaaaaarrrrggghhh been on holiday and come back after a week and see:
Quote:
Welcome back, Paul
There have been 166 threads and 1256 posts since your last visit!
The time now is 10:26.
You last visited: 18 July 03 19:14.
:eek
Old 27 July 2003, 14:38   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoss
To bad TG but alot of sites uses flash today so im surprised you havent the nessecerily files to view my site. I'm not going to redesign it because some users wont install a flash plugin thats under half a MB I will however add this to the FAQ section so other users know what to do if they experince the similar.
I never said I didn't have the neccesary files, nor that I "won't install" it. I said I have no Flash. Meaning it doesn't work on my system. Nor did I ever suggest you redesign your site. I just said it was a mess.
Old 27 July 2003, 15:22   #8
TheBoss

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I never said I didn't have the neccesary files, nor that I "won't install" it. I said I have no Flash. Meaning it doesn't work on my system. Nor did I ever suggest you redesign your site. I just said it was a mess.
Well when you say it like this "I have no Flash, so it was a mess for me..." would suggest to me you dont have the flash plugin. I'm afraid that the site must have flash to work probably I tried to make sure it would work for most, like it's designed for standard 800x600 resolution and fixed in place, so users can use higher resolutions without changing the design. Also Opera v7 seems to work fine so thats nice at least as my former website about a year ago didnt work correctly.
Old 27 July 2003, 17:04   #9
FromWithin
Music lord

I have to ask...

Why on earth are you using Flash for a static menu?
Old 27 July 2003, 17:16   #10
FromWithin
Music lord

Ah. Just learnt how to use Dreamweaver have you?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoss
I tried to make sure it would work for most, like it's designed for standard 800x600 resolution and fixed in place, so users can use higher resolutions without changing the design.
I like the graphics and stuff, but fixing graphic positions and is one of the crimes of website design. After all, it's a website, not a piece of paper. Unfortunately, you are not alone. Even the HOL pages do not get off scot-free as they have fixed font sizes (which is potentially an even worse crime).
Old 27 July 2003, 17:33   #11
ant512

Looks like someone's bought Studio MX and wants to experiment, judging by the complete hash Dreamweaver has made of the HTML.

There are a couple of advantages to using Flash for menus - firstly, when you really know what you're doing it can be considerably quicker than writing the HTML; secondly, it's fairly easy to squash the Flash down to just a few kilobytes and actually produce a menu that downloads faster than the equivalent combination of HTML and images.

I like the layout, especially the transparent window effect (Photoshop, eh?); I'd recommend reducing the size of the Flash movie, though. You should be able to get it down to around 20K - 50K (it's currently 166K). I'd also suggest having some sort of animated rollover effect - if you're using Flash, you may as well exploit its capabilities.

I'd make the whole of the button graphic in the menu clickable, not just the text.

Last edited by ant512; 27 July 2003 at 17:42.
Old 27 July 2003, 19:33   #12
TheBoss

There are always many ways to make a website on but I'm perfectly fine with the design as of now but improvments are always available
What would be good webplaces for me to get my link on?
Currently I dont have my link on any websites, only 2 Amiga forums