English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 November 2012, 22:56   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Fast Ata HDD light

Hi:

My hdd light wasn't working from a time ago (since I installed the Indi MKII, a fan, etc). Today I've opened the miggy and I've put that cable of the Fast Ata better; well, finally it got broken, so I've soldered another connector, but it fits perfect.

Now I have light, but it doesn't blink. I've connected the cable to the third pin on the right counting from the top (right always) of the ide connector.

I've got the "Anemos' revenge trick " http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43207 on the board, so a led there always on.

Is there another pin I could try to connect it or what can I do?

Edit: I've got to say that I've got the led working nice in the Cf-Ide adapter.

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 November 2012 at 23:02.
Old 27 November 2012, 23:42   #2
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

To wire an external LED you just need to tie a LED's leg (-) to Pin39 from the IDE header and the other LED's leg (+) to a +5V rail plus a resistor like 220Ohm (or Pin41 or Pin42 from the IDE header that have +5V anyway).
Old 27 November 2012, 23:46   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks a lot. I believe it must be a problem with the Anemos' trick or the Fast Ata, so I better try that. Thanks again.
Ups...but how do I get then the light on the "H.DISK" led? I mean, that's nice for another led, but for that...?

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 November 2012 at 23:53.
Old 28 November 2012, 10:47   #4
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Normally the native HD LED should work just fine.
Maybe that's the reason that you need Pin39 connected to FastATA in the first place.
Old 28 November 2012, 17:08   #5
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Normally the native HD LED should work just fine.
Maybe that's the reason that you need Pin39 connected to FastATA in the first place.

it is indeed,if its not connected to the fastata the drives while being accessed wont flash the hdd led.
Old 28 November 2012, 18:15   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

But I've got a light there. The thing is it doesn't blink, but the one of the Cf ide adapter does.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 November 2012 at 18:46.
Old 28 November 2012, 18:42   #7
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
But I've got a light there. The thing is it doesn't blink, but the one of the Cf ide adapter does.

hmm,do you mean the led on the cf card adaptor blinks while being accessed but the led in the 1200 doesent?

have you got it hooked up to the fastata and also the wire that goes to pin 39 isent connected?
Old 28 November 2012, 18:47   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

In one of the bootings now it has been blinking right all the time, but after a reboot is wrong again, and yes, the led on the cf card adaptor blinks while being accessed but the led on the 1200 doesn't.

That cable is connected to the third pin on the top right, counting always only the right.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 November 2012 at 00:23.
Old 28 November 2012, 18:51   #9
roy bates

Quote:
In one of the bootings now it has been blinking right all the time, but after a reboot is wrong again, and yes, the led on the cf card adaptor blinks while being accessed but the led in the 1200 doesn't.

That cable is connected to the third pin on the top right, counting always only the right.

maybe a wiring fault on the cf adaptor? seen this before somewhere.(hd access light fault)

or even the connector pin for pin 39 of the ide port? any way to check between the fastata and led.
Old 28 November 2012, 18:53   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
maybe a wiring fault on the cf adaptor? seen this before somewhere.(hd access light fault)
How? The Cf adaptor works; it boots.
Old 28 November 2012, 18:56   #11
roy bates

Quote:
How? The Cf adaptor works; it boots.

unfortunatley it doesent mean pin 39 is connected or getting the signal.
Old 28 November 2012, 20:22   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok, so do you think it isn't the fast ata but the mobo; that in pin 39 there is something wrong? Perhaps my Anemo's trick has something to be.
Old 28 November 2012, 20:51   #13
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I think Roy is saying that maybe you haven't connected correctly the wire from FastATA to Pin39 on A1200's mobo IDE header (or the wire isn't making a firm connection alas the signal isn't getting to the FastATA).
Old 28 November 2012, 21:15   #14
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
I think Roy is saying that maybe you haven't connected correctly the wire from FastATA to Pin39 on A1200's mobo IDE header (or the wire isn't making a firm connection alas the signal isn't getting to the FastATA).

yes,and there could be a problem between the cable from the fastata and the led from the motherboard.

i did have one once that looked like it was connected properly and wasent,it had me looking everywhere but the connection to pin 39.i just crimped it tighter with a pair of long nose pliers.(on mine theres a small led on the hardrive that lights up when accessed but the motherboard one dident)

although it might not be this,its best to check the obvios first as i went through everything but this and it was very time consuming.
Old 28 November 2012, 21:54   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I already changed the connector to the pin of the ide, as it got broken after so much connect/disconnect. I moved than cable also to different positions. And the H.DISK led of the Amiga connects where the floppy, not to the Fast Ata.

The thing is that it has got light. If it haden't I would be also thinking of a bad connection, but... .

It seems I have to try connecting and disconnecting all again I think.
Old 28 November 2012, 22:03   #16
roy bates

Quote:
I already changed the connector to the pin of the ide, as it got broken after so much connect/disconnect. I moved than cable also to different positions. And the H.DISK led of the Amiga connects where the floppy, not to the Fast Ata.

The thing is that it has got light. If it haden't I would be also thinking of a bad connection, but... .

It seems I have to try connecting and disconnecting all again I think.

sorry i dont understand what you mean there,where did you connect the wire from the fastata thats supposed to go to pin 39?
you mean, floppy led has light? the power has light? the hd led has light?(the last one wont work without the wire from the fastata to pin 39)

yes i know the cable for the hdd led and floppy led and the power led is wired to the motherboard.

EDIT: actually does the led for the hdd still work(just test it on its own to find out)
Old 28 November 2012, 22:25   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

All the leds work, but the one of the H.Disk is alway on; it doesn't blink at all, just like the power led. The floppy turns on normally when inserting a floppy.

The black wire from the Fast Ata is connected to the third pin on the right counting only on the right from the top.
Old 28 November 2012, 22:51   #18
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

It seems correct there then. I'd suggest to just use some pliers to press a bit the female connector to the Pin39 cause it tends to be loose not making a firm connection
Old 28 November 2012, 23:02   #19
roy bates

after youve tried to crimp the cable a bit tighter as mfilos says,have you got a normal harddrive to plug into the fastata.if the hardrive led on the motherboard works as normal you will know for deffinite if its the cf adaptor

i also remember something that may or may not help you,if the driver circuit on some of these cf card adaptors is drawing too much current it makes the hdd led on the mother board stay on in the same way it as with some sata to ide bridges connected to the motherboard on the amiga.found this out myself,although i havent tested it with a fastata yet to see if it does the same thing through that.
i also remember you could add a small resistor to the led driver circiut to cure the problem,but for the life of me i cant remember where it goes #facepalm# if i remember i post how to.if this is what it is.

Last edited by roy bates; 28 November 2012 at 23:12.
Old 29 November 2012, 00:09   #20
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've tried another Cf adapter with another ide cable and it wasn't blinking. Then I've disconnected the power cable from the internal Cd rom and I had no light on it (the first time I tried).

Now it works right, blinking, if I disconnect the power cable of the cd, but stays always on if I connect it.

I think I must try another ribbon cable for the cd.

Edit: Do you see? If I leave the power cable of the Cd but I disconnect the ribbon cable of it, the light blinks right, so it must be that cable. Reedit: No, it can be still the power cable.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 November 2012 at 03:06.