English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 April 2014, 01:15   #1
tomead
tomead

Amiga 2000 Blank screen

Just recivied a amiga 2000 I bought off ebay as working. Has a 8086 bridgeboard and a flicker fixer installed. It has a rev 6.2 board and the battery does seemed to of leaked. Power on gives me a blank screen. any suggestions as to what to check. I have a donor a500 I can borrow chips from if required. Power light comes on doesn't blink. Also had a funny rom switcher installed that had come lose in transit which I put back. Also tried two spare kickstart roms I have 2.04 and 3.1. Still blank screen any sugestions ?. Want to check also how the kickstart roms should be installed in a2000
Old 25 April 2014, 12:22   #2
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomead View Post
Just recivied a amiga 2000 I bought off ebay as working. Has a 8086 bridgeboard and a flicker fixer installed. It has a rev 6.2 board and the battery does seemed to of leaked. Power on gives me a blank screen. any suggestions as to what to check. I have a donor a500 I can borrow chips from if required. Power light comes on doesn't blink. Also had a funny rom switcher installed that had come lose in transit which I put back. Also tried two spare kickstart roms I have 2.04 and 3.1. Still blank screen any sugestions ?. Want to check also how the kickstart roms should be installed in a2000
Remove the battery (if still present) and neutralise the affected area. Strip the machine down to the bare essentials, and try to boot. Make sure the power supply is outputting the correct voltages. If you still can't get it to boot, take a picture of the leaked area so we can see the extent of the damage.

Hopefully you have not destroyed your roms by installing them incorrectly.
Old 25 April 2014, 12:29   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Could be corroded CPU socket, if battery has been leaking.
Remove all socketed chips and reseat.
Old 27 April 2014, 11:52   #4
tomead
tomead

I have had a good look over on the board, and the battery is quite clean, no green gunk in the cpu and kickstart sockets and on the chips as I have taken them both out and checked. I have noticed that the kickstart socket doesnt hold the rom very tightly as i can lift it out by hand so maybe the socket needs replacing. Got an atx adaptor coming for a atx power supply to test if ps is playing up, and a spare buster chip, but I suspect the kickstart socket is duff, as I checked the roms in a A500 and they work. The board needs battery replaced, and the socket changed as blank screen also means a rom issues as well as an CPU issue. I know which one I think is more likely.
Old 28 April 2014, 08:12   #5
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hi there,

I had this problem once & it turned out to be a fuse on the RGB out.

It was easy to fix & well worth a look if you can't find any other obvious problems:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=421977

As for the Kickstart socket, you can re-tighten it with a pin & just bend the prongs back in.

PZ.
Old 29 April 2014, 22:50   #6
tomead
tomead

Now looking for somebody in the UK who can have a look at the board for me me and fix the mentioned problems with it. I have a new buster on order as that is the only chip I dont have to swap. I have been told it also could be the clock crystal. Hopefully someone with the skills will reply