English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 04 February 2015, 13:18   #21
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Let's not upset Amiten or this thread will be closed soon.
I do not get mad friend, I give my opinion. as another friend gave his saying my developments are not technically brilliant, I respect his opinion but is just that an opinion and of course is not the only opinion which it.

all the best
Amiten
Old 04 February 2015, 15:37   #22
ajk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiten View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

And sorry the best Amos Game for me was made are base jumpers

[ Show youtube player ]

Edit: who say the others 2 first examples I show are not technically impressive examples?? You?? Why? You know what amos Code are inside these 2 first examples?. All is relative.
Those two examples are better, especially Base Jumpers. Technically impressive is of course subjective, but to me it means full screen, fast scrolling and smooth animation. It could just be the YouTube videos but your examples seem to be running quite slow. I can try running one myself if you think they should work better on actual hardware.

My vote goes to C, particularly if you already know it. Optimise things in assembler as needed.
Old 04 February 2015, 16:11   #23
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Those two examples are better, especially Base Jumpers. Technically impressive is of course subjective, but to me it means full screen, fast scrolling and smooth animation. It could just be the YouTube videos but your examples seem to be running quite slow. I can try running one myself if you think they should work better on actual hardware.

My vote goes to C, particularly if you already know it. Optimise things in assembler as needed.
You can check your self if is fluid Parrallel Worlds or not. Youtube videos not make justicie I think. Check the zone is a demo there . Regards.

Last edited by Amiten; 04 February 2015 at 16:31.
Old 04 February 2015, 19:10   #24
vim
Coder of Games

saimon69: There are now some Blitz links on my Language page. Hope they help .
Old 04 February 2015, 22:03   #25
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
In fact the best example for an AMOS platformer is probably [ Show youtube player ] - a sample game delivered with AMOS Pro Fast paced and smooth, with a fair amount of action on the screen. Cute graphics too.
Dithell's Wonderland is only smooth because the whole level (excluding enemies and bonuses) is pre-drawn before the level starts. When you play the game all the code does is scroll the screen across the pre-drawn levels and animate enemies, bonuses and Dithell himself.

AMOS Pro is a capable language in the right hands, as is Blitz. It is all down to personal preference really. Super Bubble Remix is an excellent example of what smart talented programmers can do in AMOS - it's downloadable from Aminet here.

Simply pick a language and see how far you get. If you can't solve issues (even with help from people on the internet, or here on EAB ) then maybe try another language. I've been programming on and off for almost 25 years now and currently know 5 languages (HTML, Spectrum BASIC, Visual Basic 6, AMOS Pro and 68000 assembler - they're all fun really! ).
Old 04 February 2015, 23:22   #26
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

this is the most impressive AMOS game imho
[ Show youtube player ]
scrolling is 50fps on real Amiga

we are really getting off topic now though
Old 05 February 2015, 03:27   #27
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Simply pick a language and see how far you get. If you can't solve issues (even with help from people on the internet, or here on EAB ) then maybe try another language. I've been programming on and off for almost 25 years now and currently know 5 languages (HTML, Spectrum BASIC, Visual Basic 6, AMOS Pro and 68000 assembler - they're all fun really! ).
I wouldn't want to sound pedantic so by all means please kick me where it hurts in case you think I am in what follows below.

Programming languages are like shackles: how they are structured highly constrain what you can do. Although all languages are mathematically equivalent (they are all Turing complete) their expressiveness varies enormously and it takes more effort to write the same program in some languages than in others.

C allows you to use higher level abstractions which make it much easier to do more things with less lines of codes and less effort : it makes it easier to build data structures which have immediate meaning to the human eye while in assembly you always need the associated code in order to understand how the data are used and what purpose they serve. This makes development much faster at the cost of a speed loss (very little if you are careful).

In the end, the only thing a game does is manipulate data: it transforms level descriptions and user inputs into other data which in the end results in graphics and sounds being (dis)played. So you want to use the language which makes it easiest to visualize what data you are working with and how you are manipulating it.

Between C, BASIC (including AMOS but excluding Visual Basic) and assembly, C is by far the one which makes it easier to express what you want.

So what I mean in the end: I highly recommend you to try your hand at C if you have a chance. Getting away from BASIC will literally make you a much better coder. It requires effort of course, as anything worthwhile does.

(Yup, off topic too, sorry!)
Old 08 February 2015, 20:03   #28
Cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
... You could convert AMOS to Blitz but you wouldn't be getting the most out of it. ...
Also AMOS has the "banks" structure, which are weird but quite convenient. So converting to Blitz would require converting all the eccentric AMOS stuff like this, including converting all your data files like sprite banks &c.
Fun fact, internally Mr Beanbag still uses AMOS bank formats including packed pictures, even though it is now 100% Asm. I can load the executable into AMOS and call its functions, passing in addresses of AMOS banks to use for data. This is very convenient for development.
Fun fact just for you:
BlitzBasic2 has support for Amos banks for a long time, as it is been added with a so called amosfunc.lib. You can make your own commands in BlitzBasic by adding a library with ASM code, didn't you know? Also it has an inline assembler, too.
Old 08 February 2015, 20:42   #29
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Fun fact just for you:
BlitzBasic2 has support for Amos banks for a long time, as it is been added with a so called amosfunc.lib. You can make your own commands in BlitzBasic by adding a library with ASM code, didn't you know? Also it has an inline assembler, too.
I didn't know BlitzBasic could support Amos banks, i did know it had an inline assembler. Also it would have been very much a surprise if you couldn't write extensions for Blitz in asm.

My "fun fact" is fact about Mr Beanbag's asm code, not about AMOS!