English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 24 January 2021, 19:18   #21
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Here Long View Post
Thanks. ScummVM 030 doesn't seem to work for me. I assume that would only run a few point and click adventure games? I like the idea of a full CD32 emulator.

I own a surf squirrel external CD-ROM drive. The installation disk has a CD32 emulator on it, but my Amiga 1200 currently has no internal floppy disk drive. I have an external floppy disk drive. I could write the installation disk image to a floppy disk (assuming I've got one that still works!) and install the emulator (assuming the installer is compatible with an external floppy disk drive). Failing that perhaps I could mount the disk image.

The problem is, CD32 emulators, such as the one on the surf squirrel installation disk and IDEfix97, don't seem to work with ISOs as standard. Does anyone know if they can be made to work with an ISO mounted with a separate program? Disk Image mounts the ISO successfully but I get the "Inquire of diskimage.device unit 3 failed" error through the IDEfix97 CD32 emulator. The other programs I tried tell me the ISO I've mounted is not a DOS disk when I try to access it through the shell.

ScummVM would be better than nothing if I could get it working.

On my real drive, using squirrel CD32 Emu, Simon works fine. Will try with Virtual CD now.

I just spent a few hours messing with devkit SimCD32. I got it to boot it like a real CD32, however like others you get the stammer and stuttering. Its like HDD has no buffers. cd0 gets 5 buffers. So I increased it, it does improve it, but still an issue.
Doubt it was ever ment to run games to play, just to test before mastering CD.
Old 24 January 2021, 19:38   #22
gazj82

I made a Simon CD32 boot disk it might help you.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85628
Old 24 January 2021, 20:46   #23
Not Here Long

Thanks! As I said earlier in the thread, I get an assign error for CD0 with that boot disk.

Can't find CD0:
assign failed return code 20

If it would be possible to use the files from that boot disk from the HD (perhaps after booting without a startup-sequence?) I think it would make for a good solution.

EDIT: does the boot disk work with other games?

Last edited by Not Here Long; 24 January 2021 at 20:49. Reason: .
Old 24 January 2021, 22:17   #24
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Thanks! As I said earlier in the thread, I get an assign error for CD0 with that boot disk.

Can't find CD0:
assign failed return code 20

If it would be possible to use the files from that boot disk from the HD (perhaps after booting without a startup-sequence?) I think it would make for a good solution.

EDIT: does the boot disk work with other games?

Yes, it will work with other games, but you need to alter startup-sequence accordingly.
Microcosm works fine via this method.

Check your iso name, if its to long and has lots of spaces, it will not mount. I renamed iso to Simon.iso.
Old 25 January 2021, 21:03   #25
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazj82 View Post
I made a Simon CD32 boot disk it might help you.

To add to this, I think its down to the cd.device and cdfilesystem used.
I must emulate the drive very slowly. Hence the audio issues.

If you set cpu to 060 and enable jit, it runs virtually perfect.
However you can't do that in real life.
Old 05 February 2021, 01:22   #26
Not Here Long

Sorry to bring this up yet again. I couldn't find a floppy disk that would format so I copied the contents of the SimCD32 boot disk from the thread below to the root of a partition on a CF card and booted from it through the early start up screen.

Simon the Sorcerer runs and the speech is okay during the game at times, but for the most part, and particularly during the intro, the speech stalls and repeats.

The thread above suggests this should work from floppy disk. Is there any reason it shouldn't work from a CF card, and is there anything left to try or is this likely to be the best it'll get?

Page 28 of Amiga Format May 1998 did explain that getting the game to run on an Amiga 1200 could be difficult.

http://amr.abime.net/issue_266_pages

I managed to get the Mac version of Discworld running through Shapeshifter incidentally, and also a number of Lucas Arts games (Sam and Max hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, Full Throttle).

Discworld's sound (including the speech) is flawless on my 030 Amiga 1200. With the MuEVD video driver, the character animations are good when the camera is static but the game slows down when the camera pans. Also, the frames very conspicuously draw from top to bottom.

I also learned that Simon the Sorcerer was supposed to be a Discworld game but the developers couldn't get a licence. Terry Pratchett was apparently unhappy with how the 8 bit adaptation of his novels was marketed.
Old 08 February 2021, 15:32   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I managed to get the Mac version of Discworld running through Shapeshifter incidentally.

Discworld's sound (including the speech) is flawless on my 030 Amiga 1200. With the MuEVD video driver, the character animations are good when the camera is static but the game slows down when the camera pans. Also, the frames very conspicuously draw from top to bottom.
Heya Not Here Long,

A question about this.

I downloaded the archive from here: Discworld

Successfully extracted the .TOAST image from the "DISCWORLD.sit" file.

However, when mounted and trying to run I get the following error:
So, did you get from above or from another place?
Old 08 February 2021, 17:12   #28
DamienD
Banned

Don't worry, have managed to solve

The "DISCWORLD.sit" file from Macintosh Repository also has the same issues as the one from Macintosh Garden i.e. when copying all files the <gamefile> is corrupt...

On Macintosh Repository there is another file "Discworld.toast_.sit" though. When copying this, there are numerous files that are corrupt, but the <gamefile> is good

So, copied all files from the "DISCWORLD.sit" file and then the <gamefile> from "Discworld.toast_.sit" to a new .HFV file.

All good now
Old 09 February 2021, 14:32   #29
Not Here Long

Hi

I can confirm I used the fourth download on macintoshrepository.org

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/4947-discworld

I usually mount the images using Virtual CD/DVD Imager (first download)

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/...rom-cd-utility

Stuffit sometimes mounts images after unarchiving, but I find it can take a long time on the Amiga, so I tend to use Stuffit for Windows. The Windows version has a cross platform feature, allowing you to write the resource forks to the data files (amongst other solutions). This results in a .bin extension, which can be removed using Stuffit under Mac OS.

I have also used Adaptec Toast, which was the only program that would mount Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail!, however the Amiga would crash if I tried installing it or even just copying the image contents to the CF card.

The game requires an 040. I got Time Gate (an Alone in the Dark style game) to work using Pseud040 (albeit slowly) but this did nothing for Leisure Suit Larry.
Old 09 February 2021, 14:42   #30
DamienD
Banned

Thanks for your reply Not Here Long

Truth be told, I didn't even notice the 4th download i.e:

Quote:
from from Mega . Co . Nz (unknown size)
13 / 2015-11-14 / (Unavailable for
external downloads)
...but I manually sorted out the issues myself
Old 09 February 2021, 15:08   #31
Not Here Long

Oops! I meant the third download! Also, you don't have to use the cross platforming feature when unarchiving images using Stuffit for Windows. I just thought I'd mention it can do that as it could be useful.
Old 09 February 2021, 17:12   #32
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Oops! I meant the third download!
I tried that one already, and as mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
The "DISCWORLD.sit" file from Macintosh Repository also has the same issues as the one from Macintosh Garden i.e. when copying all files the <gamefile> is corrupt...
Anyway, I've sorted it