English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 May 2010, 05:27   #1
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Question about AVI output

I am trying to capture some video from WinUAE. I have successfully done it in the past, with an older version of WinUAE and a different computer however. Tonight, no matter which version of WinUAE I use (including the 2.1.0 release version and the newest 2.2 beta), I only get an empty AVI of 5632 bytes. I have tried this using several codecs, and also without any compression, without success. My configuration is as follows.

Host:
2.2GHz AMD Turion 64 X2
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Amiga:
Based on quickstart A500+ config, except for disabling cycle-exact, using an 020, and timing set to "fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing" - however, I have also tested with a 100% quickstart config with no results

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting bad AVIs? I tried searching the forum to see if anyone else had posted about this, but didn't find anything. I know it's not a codec issue, because I've tried without using any codecs.

Last edited by LocalH; 25 May 2010 at 05:38.
Old 25 May 2010, 06:19   #2
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Your PC configuration is good enough for real time video capture INMHO.
Do you have any filter set ? If not, try using D3D in conjunction with the null filter.
Also, I know some people do it this way before processing the captured footage, but uncompressed frames result in a huge HDD space loss comparatively to a few selected lossless codec with which WinUAE output function have been successfully tested.
Old 25 May 2010, 07:01   #3
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

I haven't tried using any D3D filters, and I don't know what good that would do as I have WinUAE set to capture before filters. I can try it anyway, I'm at a loss.

I agree, I initially tried using Lagarith, but when I started having issues I thought it might have been a codec+Win7+64-bit type of issue, so I tried it uncompressed with the same problem. I'm doing it losslessly because I need to capture in normal line mode and then weave the fields together, because the program that I am trying to capture runs in interlace mode, but I need a 29.97fps video rather than 60fps.
Old 25 May 2010, 08:00   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Most likely you have some buggy codec that messes up everything else. It isn't rare when using some ready-made codec packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeli View Post
Your PC configuration is good enough for real time video capture INMHO.
Yes, we already know you don't get AVI capture at all.
Old 25 May 2010, 08:16   #5
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

I have very few codecs on this box, just ffdshow, huffyuv, lagarith, and the standard ones that ship with 7. Would that explain why it does the same thing when using no codec at all? I know that video codecs are a sort of no-mans-land of bugs and weird things, hence why I didn't install too many. I certainly refuse to use hacky codec packs, I learned that lesson years ago on an old XP box.
Old 25 May 2010, 08:21   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Same AVI data path is used, codec or no codec (no compression). AVIOut APIs are ancient and it sucks

Anyways, check logs as usual. Select stereo sound (or no sound), width divisible by 16 at least, windowed etc..
Old 25 May 2010, 08:24   #7
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Window is 760x480 (so I'll drop it to 752), windowed mode, stereo 48khz sound, will check the logs next time I attempt to record some video. I wasn't aware that mod16 was an issue with uncompressed video, though.