English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 14 September 2008, 18:33   #1
Another World

Question The easiest way to transfer data between Amiga and PC using a mass storage

Hi guys

What is the easiest way to transfer data between Amiga and PC using a mass storage ?

I mean, without the need of connect the two systems,
but simply using a normal CD, a PCMCIA card,
a floppy (but floppy on modern pc there aren't),
or other you know

Exists this kind of possibilities ?

Old 14 September 2008, 18:37   #2
amigakit.com

The easiest way to transfer data from an Amiga 1200 or 600 to PC/Mac/Linux box is the EASYADF PCMCIA Transfer Kit

We now have Italian instruction booklet for this product!

Direct Product Link
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=440
Old 15 September 2008, 23:31   #3
EreWeGo

I'd have to agree with "Amigakit", the "easiest" way would be to use the EasyADF PCMCIA kit available from their store. I recently helped a guy setup his A1200, (I was helping via email and MSN), and he was a complete novice with both Amiga and PC related stuff. He didn't even have a mouse on his Amiga, but setting up and using the kit he purchased was definitely the easiest way for him to be able to transfer data between PC and Amiga.

It depends on your experience and how much messing about you want to do really. With the EASYADF kit, you will also need to get a Compact Flash card, (which AmigaKit offer as well I think, although you should be able to use any compatible card), and the only other thing is you need the ability to read the Compact Flash card on your PC or laptop...
Old 16 September 2008, 05:33   #4
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Personally, I use just burn cd's on both my Amiga and peecee to transfer files between the two systems.

Also, I sometimes put my Amiga's hd in my peecee, and use WinUAE to transfer all the files. Not the simplest solution, but it doesn't cost anything, unlike having to buy a cd rewriter, and it's fast. Just a thought
Old 16 September 2008, 23:11   #5
Mort
Scanner genocide King

Nearly got the winuae option to work, must have missed something silly as it reads the compact flash ok but when I drag the file in winuae from the pc hd it says wright protected, what have I missed
Old 17 September 2008, 09:04   #6
EreWeGo

Hey Mort,

when you added the CF Card as a drive, under Hard Drive settings, did you tick the "Read/Write" box?
Old 12 October 2008, 17:39   #7
Ed Cruse

Flash Drives work pretty well if you're using WinUAE. Set WinUAE to auto-mount removable drives and they pop up on workbench when you plug them in. The best Flash Drives I've found so far are SanDisks, they're really fast compared to others.
Old 13 October 2008, 03:04   #8
Cammy

I agree with the PCMCIA Compact Flash method, this is how I've been swapping stuff between the PC and A1200 for over a year and it rocks! The slowest part is the part where you have to use the PC, plugging it in, waiting for Windows to recognise it, it's nowhere near as fast as on the Amiga (which is instant). But still faster than any other method for sure, other than maybe a direct network connection.
Old 13 October 2008, 04:47   #9
lost_loven

real easy fast way i tansfer files is that i set up a ftp here on the pc and use the ftp client in dopus 5.5 to get my goodies
Old 13 October 2008, 07:09   #10
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I use a regular USB stick thanks to SUBWAY.
Old 13 October 2008, 14:39   #11
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

I think the easiest way to transfer data between Amiga and PC using a mass storage is the PCMCIA with a multi card reader, it´s only a matter of installing the aminet fat95 driver and rock´n roll
Old 19 December 2008, 23:32   #12
leohopkins

Hi guys.............

Okay, Would i be able to convert .ADF files and write them to DD discs on my PC using WinUAE ?

Old 19 December 2008, 23:51   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leohopkins View Post
Okay, Would i be able to convert .ADF files and write them to DD discs on my PC using WinUAE ?
Hi Leo, and welcome to EAB!

No, you cannot write back .ADF images to DD disks using any PC software without special hardware.

Do you have an Amiga? This really is your only option.
Old 20 December 2008, 00:06   #14
taunusanden

I agree with Amigakit. I often use the PCMCIA - CF transfer kit
But, subway usb and an usb memory stick also works great!
Old 20 December 2008, 14:56   #15
AmigaFriend

For my A4000 i use CD-RW to transfer files to and from PC. Its also fast, as the 040 can sustain 8x recording with no problem at all.

But I agree that for A1200 users the best way is CF, or as I've seen on AlfaRomeo's A1200: USB
With a 8Gb stick you're at heaven.
Old 07 January 2009, 04:51   #16
arnljot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Nearly got the winuae option to work, must have missed something silly as it reads the compact flash ok but when I drag the file in winuae from the pc hd it says wright protected, what have I missed
It´s been a long time, maybe you´ve figuered this one out by now, but in case not: You need to add a startup argument to the WinUAE binary, check the read me.

The easiest way to do this is to make a windows shortcut to Winuae and add the argument in the properties of the shortcut (Right click the icon...).

Have a blast, it´s the way I do it. And it works for me