English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 September 2022, 00:20   #1
stevelord

Commodore Amiga Global Alliance

This... seems 20 years late for me. And charging press outlets twice the cost of other retailers seems counterproductive. But hey, maybe it just might work.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 September 2022, 01:59   #2
grelbfarlk

Not quite as good as Phake5's relaunch but it is brazenly more sad, not as funny though. Though respekt to David Pleasance for recording his bit on an Amiga, was that a Vlab Motion card he captured it on with a Sony Handicam?
Old 21 September 2022, 03:24   #3
dreadnought

He lost me @ "raise money for best Amiga website evah", while rambling in a poorly made video, and that was just minute and a half in. Can somebody recap his main talking points from later on?
Old 21 September 2022, 03:43   #4
grelbfarlk

They'll make a website. There are six people involved. They will make the website if thousands of Amigans subscribe for £30 a year. Then they will make a website that you can find people to recap your Amigas. And they will fund hardware or software development. You can also find people to help you make games or do voiceover work. They will also organize a yearly awards ceremony the size and scope of the Grammies or the Oscars to hand out awards for Amiga products.
Then they will use the money to send people to Hollywood to be interviewed to make movies about Amigas. But for your £30 you immediately get to download some documentaries that have already been made... Wait for it... for free. *Mic drop*

I'm going to start making a logo to launch something even better. The UAGA, The Unified Amiga Galactic Alliance. If thousands of people donate £30 per year to me, I'll stop posting and use the proceeds to fund Amiga Hardware projects. In exchange I'll let subscribers into some spicy Amiga archives to download nearly all of the software that has been released for the Amiga. And a few suggestions for knowledgeable communities to ask questions from. If we just get 2 hundred million Amiga enthusiasts to subscribe for just a few years, I will personally work on sending out deep space ships to distant galaxies with language agnostic instructions on how to interface with the Amiga floppy drives which will contain a virus which will lock away all of the alien's storage until they dedicate their entire civilization to inventing RAM dilation and also how to send it back in time to a point that it would have helped. This will retroactively enhance all applications which were speed or storage limited in the past. Since I might not have noticed this happening it may have already happened, so you need to start donating, quickly.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 21 September 2022 at 03:58.
Old 21 September 2022, 04:03   #5
Lineof7s

Why is the map of the world backwards? That's an inauspicious start.
Old 21 September 2022, 04:06   #6
grelbfarlk

Because it's the back of the logo. Remember if you subscribe you can put this logo on your own merch.
Old 21 September 2022, 06:47   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
They'll make a website. There are six people involved. They will make the website if thousands of Amigans subscribe for £30 a year. Then they will make a website that you can find people to recap your Amigas. And they will fund hardware or software development. You can also find people to help you make games or do voiceover work. They will also organize a yearly awards ceremony the size and scope of the Grammies or the Oscars to hand out awards for Amiga products.
Then they will use the money to send people to Hollywood to be interviewed to make movies about Amigas. But for your £30 you immediately get to download some documentaries that have already been made... Wait for it... for free. *Mic drop*
Thank you for saving me from having to watch the video. The sad thing is that there will be people sending the 30 quid. Only Amiga...
Old 21 September 2022, 08:59   #8
trixster
Guru Meditating

It’s another attempt to milk money out of the carcass of the Amiga
Old 21 September 2022, 10:37   #9
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

how lame is that?
Old 21 September 2022, 11:59   #10
eXeler0

Commodore Amiga Global Alliance

If you, seen from his perspective, look around and see a very scattered Amiga landscape, then conceptually, trying to bring order to the situation it makes sense,
But he’s in rough terrain
Old 21 September 2022, 13:44   #11
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
If you, seen from his perspective, look around and see a very scattered Amiga landscape, then conceptually, trying to bring order to the situation it makes sense,
But he’s in rough terrain
I rewrote this several times. Think I will stick with Meh, money grab, dead duck
Old 21 September 2022, 17:20   #12
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I rewrote this several times. Think I will stick with Meh, money grab, dead duck

DaveP will be at Amiga37 along with a bunch of other representatives like iComp etc.. Makes more sense to talk to the right people at the right level about the possibilitirs of some sort of colaboration. A generic shout out into Cyberspace aint gonna land well.
Old 21 September 2022, 17:25   #13
Decker

Lots of thought put into it if you really listen. Well, more hope that thought. And I like David's hot takes on Amiga history. But it's the wrong decade for this.

Nice hobby, but everything is already out there. CAGA fills a void that doesn't exist.

- Tons of middle age ex-Amiga users out there. Most of whom are fully content with an Amiga music compilation or a gameplay clip for nostalgy kick.
- Tons of Amiga mid-tier nerds out there. Most of whom have been well served by WinUAE, or repackages of it, whdload et al.
- Lots of actual Amiga users out there. All of whom have their recapped systems, suppliers, kickstarter backed HW projects and all the free resources and like-minded people that have been around forever.

And the logo looks like OneCoin.
And the name makes me think of Trump.
And the blurb is in 240p.
And now I'm sad.
Old 21 September 2022, 19:05   #14
stevelord

In unrelated unfortunate naming news, Caga is the feminine singular form of the Spanish verb for crapping.

I want to believe. Maybe something can come out of it from Amiga 37. But I don't see the need for some central website, and I don't see the point. Also I get the impression having Commodore and Amiga in the name is at risk of inviting legal action should it take off.
Old 21 September 2022, 19:28   #15
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
In unrelated unfortunate naming news, Caga is the feminine singular form of the Spanish verb for crapping.
LOL, in Italian is the same verbal form, and:
- third-person singular present indicative
- second-person singular imperative
so it can also be good for males
Old 21 September 2022, 19:57   #16
Pyromania

What about SAGA?
Old 21 September 2022, 21:25   #17
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
What about SAGA?

Or save some cash and reuse Trump’s NOS of unsold MAGA caps/hats. Make Amiga Great Again
Old 21 September 2022, 21:31   #18
stairmand

I thought this website covered most of this already. When I needed recap work, I found it here. When I needed repair, I got help here.

I'm confused what it would offer even if didn't cost anything?
Old 21 September 2022, 22:45   #19
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
What about SAGA?
That is Samoan for corn.
Old 22 September 2022, 02:21   #20
stevelord

Ok, it gets worse, by which i mean no disrespect to mates from rokkerdale but seriously [ Show youtube player ].