English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 January 2011, 21:47   #1
2E0TMF

Mediator 1200TX

Hi i have started a new thread as this is regarding the mediator bus board!
I have used MediatorUP 3.12 and have used the quick install and everything went ok but then i went to use the mediator config and when clicking on which amiga mediator i am using it installs to 180% then hangs there forever? The hour time cursor sits there doing nothing?

Has anyone any idea what is happening? I have the original mediator disc but when it installs to S: directory it states there is a read error on the disc.So i decided to use the MediatorUP 3.12 i downloaded from Elbox.com
Old 10 January 2011, 23:04   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@2E0TMF

My first thought is your mediator compatible with the Install MMCD ?

you may have a too newer Mediator Installer that may require your Bus-Board Firmware to be upgraded.
Old 10 January 2011, 23:15   #3
2E0TMF

Mediator 1200TX

OK a quick update!! I reformatted the hd partition! reinstalled wb 3.1! Installed mediatorUP 3.12 and used the config install first which all went well and reported that some of the pci cards i have installed (which as this point i only have soundblaster 128 and spider usb card until i can find my voodoo3 and fast ethernet card) may not be in use as the bus master uses sdram memory from a graphics card.I remember this back in the 90's when i first bought the mediator and found that it needs to be in the first slot of the bus board and it used some of the memory!
I then finished that and it put a report of the config in the ram disk! I then go to
use the quick install of the MediatorUP3.12 and that installed ok?

I then go to MMCD 2.0 and use the quick install from that too and again it all went through

So now i have wb 3.1 installed and the fastATA and the two Mediator installs i will then have to go and install OS3.9 AGAAAAAAIN

I find that if i try the MediatorUP3.12 and MMCD2.0 after i install OS3.9 the quick install on MediatorUP3.12 goes ok but then when i go to the config install it hangs????? also when going to the MMCD2.0 it hangs too?

So it appears my mediator board is looking ok and working just lacking my voodoo3 3000 which i have place somewhere? I do believe thats 16mb ?

If my mediator bus board needs flashing or updating how do i go about this and were?
I have checked my MACH chips and there up to date ones.
Old 11 January 2011, 00:27   #4
2E0TMF

Mediator 1200TX

Hi One question? When i first install the software/drivers for the mediator 1200TX and whatever pci cards are installed.Do i need to first run the original Mediator MMCD that came with the busboard,Then install MediatorUP3.12 and MMCD2.0?
It's been a long time since i did all this and it's doing my nut in?
sometimes my original MMCD disc reports a read/write error whenever it gets to the sys part of the installation? The disc is like new and was only used a couple of times when bought.
I am totally lost with this mediator stuff I just remember installing OS3.9 and the boing bag updates then installing my fastATA then the mediator stuff?

Why is it so difficult? surely my original mediator disc is ok for now as i am using same hardware apart from i can't find the blinking voodoo card and ethernet.All i want in the meantime is my soundblaster working?

Can someone tell me how i check my mediator board is ok and the pci cards in it are ok?? I remember having something i downloaded from 3rd party mediator software that checked your pci cards?
Old 11 January 2011, 06:57   #5
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
MediatorX might do it

http://web.archive.org/web/200402042...3rdparty.shtml
Old 11 January 2011, 10:17   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
My Mediator(1200SX) runs fine with the orginal Mediator Disk I have so I never felt the need to update, Graphics/Sound both work fine.

I don't have USB or a Network Card to test but I can tell you that to get the sound to work I had to swap the SB128 to a different PCI slot (was getting cannot open mixer) at startup.

And then I also needed to get the latest version of AHI.

Took me 6 months but I finally got Warp3D on the Voodoo working, that was down to the MMCD putting A4000 drivers instead of A1200

So its good to read all the FAQ's on the CD and Elbox site as it tells you what files should be where for manual install, double check them all if you have issues.

I'm tempted to splash out on the new Mediator CD at some point but for now whilst it aint broke, I aint ganna fix it

All the best.

Steve.
Old 11 January 2011, 14:27   #7
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

do you need the voodoo gfx card so you can use the NIC (Network Card) ??
can someone confirm plz as that is how I read the destuctions

and a big thank u to steve for telling me to move the sound card to a different slot, Thanks
Old 11 January 2011, 14:50   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
do you need the voodoo gfx card so you can use the NIC (Network Card) ??
can someone confirm plz as that is how I read the destuctions

and a big thank u to steve for telling me to move the sound card to a different slot, Thanks
No probs

I don't see why a NIC would need a Voodoo card to work but they can be fickle creatures these Miggy's

I never did get your NIC's working in my A1200 though mate
Old 11 January 2011, 19:19   #9
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

have a look here
http://web.archive.org/web/200802030.../network.shtml
Old 11 January 2011, 20:48   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

thanks John
Old 13 January 2011, 03:03   #11
2E0TMF

Mediator 1200TX

Hi all thanks for your help and info I do remember reading way back when i bought the mediator that there was a certain order for your pci cards in which pci slot? I also remember something about needing sdram from the graphics card for the bus master?It states this when i install the mediator config?
Does anyone know also what i should have in workbench for the silver surfer to work also? I can't get that going too
Old 13 January 2011, 09:56   #12
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
My Mediator(1200SX) runs fine with the orginal Mediator Disk I have so I never felt the need to update, Graphics/Sound both work fine.
Could you tell me
1. what sound card and driver version you're using
2. what pci.library version
i'm having lockups with newer drivers when using my Terratec soundcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2E0TMF View Post
Hi all thanks for your help and info I do remember reading way back when i bought the mediator that there was a certain order for your pci cards in which pci slot? I also remember something about needing sdram from the graphics card for the bus master?It states this when i install the mediator config?
The order that you put your cards in the Med should not exist in the Mediator TX but can be a problem in older models. And for the other question the Mediator allocates 1Mb from the graphics card for other cards to operate so I suggest set 8Mb memory window on Mediator and with Medconfig set memsize to 7 and VoodooMem variable to eg. 12 (should work if set upto 15).
Old 13 January 2011, 10:31   #13
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Could you tell me
1. what sound card and driver version you're using
2. what pci.library version
i'm having lockups with newer drivers when using my Terratec soundcard
Howdy mate,

I'll get that info for you later. (I'm at work)

I never could get my Terratec working though, its sitting in a box but the working card is SB128, to get it working I had to use latest AHI and MedUP 312 (IIRC) again will check that out for you later.

I was thinking of getting the updated Mediator CD(Bundle) as I might need to upgrade my Mach Chips and want to be fully ready for OS4.1

I'd love to be able to use my Terratec card as its 3D sound working on the Amiga would be cool.

Steve.
Old 15 January 2011, 13:52   #14
jerseywurzel

I`m pretty sure you NEED a graphics card in the Mediator before anything else will work ..

mmm, checking the website only lists it as recommended, but I`d still go with needed

Check the manual: http://buy.elbox.com/ma/Mediator_PCI_1200_UM.pdf
Old 15 January 2011, 20:48   #15
2E0TMF

Mediator 1200TX

Hi Jerzywurzel,I have just dug out the a1200/mediator and re-cased it.The hard drive i had up and fully working with the mediator drivers from the original disc and unfortunately had to reformat.So now i am starting back from the beginning with it all.I don't seem to have any problems with the original mediator disc on OS3.1 install but when going to OS3.9 that's were i get the freezing? I don't remember this happening before as i had 0S3.9 on the reformatted hd and all went like clockwork? I even had my tv tuner card working!
I was going to get the updated mediator disc but seems like i don't need the MACH chips.
Old 16 January 2011, 00:08   #16
jerseywurzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2E0TMF View Post
Hi Jerzywurzel,I have just dug out the a1200/mediator and re-cased it.The hard drive i had up and fully working with the mediator drivers from the original disc and unfortunately had to reformat.So now i am starting back from the beginning with it all.I don't seem to have any problems with the original mediator disc on OS3.1 install but when going to OS3.9 that's were i get the freezing? I don't remember this happening before as i had 0S3.9 on the reformatted hd and all went like clockwork? I even had my tv tuner card working!
I was going to get the updated mediator disc but seems like i don't need the MACH chips.
I don`t know why it freezes. The MACH chips upgrade the SX to a TX which you`ve already got, so you don`t need them, but I do recommend the latest Mediator drivers which you get as a regsitered user