English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 18 July 2023, 10:04   #1
enmerk

DirWork 2.0 / 2.1 manual

I always preferred DirWork over DOpus, and I'm working on a trying to get a really nice set-up. Unfortunately my memories aren't enough to overcome the number of random command arguments in DirWork. Does anyone have the manual for this? The manual for 2/ 2.1 would be ideal but even a manual in for Dirwork 1.6 would be helpful?
Old 18 July 2023, 11:11   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

If you need it, I can send you my old DirWork configuration, which I also preferred on DW on Os 1.3/2.0 and Amiga unexpanded systems.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 September 2023 at 00:54.
Old 18 July 2023, 12:46   #3
Snoopy1234

The Fred Fish disk 172 version of DirWork 1.62 has a brief description:

http://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/TO...red%20Fish)(PD)[WB].zip

Amiga Computing coverdisk 84 - Disk 1 has a Demo of Dirwork v2.1 with config readme files in its subfolder.

http://amr.rumpigs.net/amiga_computi...1995_03_d1.adz
(can be renamed to xxx.adf)

These aren't a manual but a few pointers..
Old 18 July 2023, 19:20   #4
enmerk

Cheers will see what I can do with these. I've been able to find manuals for so many other Amiga programs but Dirwork seems to be really tricky to track down.
Old 19 July 2023, 11:09   #5
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
DirWork 2.0 / 2.1 manual

Not trying to push you away from DirWorks as I also do not like DOpus but I used to use DiskMasterII which was very easy to use and configure…
Any way thank you for showing me DirWorks, I’ll follow this post with attention.

Edit: DirWork 1.62 for s on Aminet with a doc file in it… might be a good start.
Old 19 July 2023, 19:14   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

@seb132

DirWork Works with all Amiga OS and AROS 68k

DirWork has been one of the most used Filemanagers by Amighists, much more than DiskMasterII.

DirWork is a very powerful software easy to configure, you can set the GUI in different perspectives.

The important thing is that small in size, it does not need libraries, in the past we used to put it on all floppies, this allowed to operate in any situation without the need to change floppies

It also has a separate Configuration Editor that can be deleted if you don't want to change something.

We all waited for the 2.x "color" version, that becoming commercial, which many users did not like.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 July 2023 at 19:20.
Old 19 July 2023, 19:32   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

@enmerk

As requested by PM I am attaching my old version of DW (DirWork) which also includes the Editor.

Copy DW and Editor to SYS:C, this way you can run it from any location, or from the CLI prompt (Boot Whit No Startup-sequence)

You can also use DW from the Workbench, the archive includes the DW Icons and Editor

Also the commands the various tools you will be able to copy them to C, for example LHA, DMS etc.., this way if you want to unpack an LHA archive, you will just right click on Archive file.

RDH:, you will need it on WinUAE to manage a volume or folder dragged to WinUAE.

Of course if Editor is present you can enhance or modify some command

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 September 2023 at 00:54.
Old 21 July 2023, 09:39   #8
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
@seb132
DirWork has been one of the most used Filemanagers by Amighists, much more than DiskMasterII.
Don't want to start a religious war here, but either you mention facts, or this is just your opinion. DiskMaster and DOpus (and CliMate before them) were _the_ tools to use for files management (and more) back in the days. Just look at the number of references and comparisons you find on the net.
There was also a poll here on EAB about them, long ago, you might as well get an idea there.

Quote:
DirWork is a very powerful software easy to configure, you can set the GUI in different perspectives.
Exactly what DiskMaster and DOpus do, and much more. DosControl was also extremely popular, but it is only available in german, so that doesn't count :-)

If you're satisfied with DirWork, fine. But please stick to the facts! (so yes, this is getting pretty much a religious war by now :-D )

Last edited by lucadip; 21 July 2023 at 09:45.
Old 21 July 2023, 18:53   #9
AMIPEGUSER

I have Dir Works 2 in original Box but it is with fully german Manual.
That would not helps, didn´t it.?

For normal checking Data on Disks etc. I am using just Xlent pro.
But otherwise I am using also Dir Work instead of Opus.
Old 22 July 2023, 05:27   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

@lucadip

No war, everyone is free to have his say, you don't have to poll the few remaining Amiga users, you had to do it 30 years ago, when only floppies were used.

I haven't used DirWork for 30 years, and I have used dozens and dozens of Filemanagers on Amiga, there were not only Dopus2/4 and DiskMaster, but so many others, you can see some of them in this old SlideShow of mine.

https://eab.abime.net/zone/FileManager.gif
Old 22 July 2023, 08:36   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
(can be renamed to xxx.adf)
Please don't, it's not an ADF but a gzipped ADF.

It can be used as an adz in WinUAE. If you want to write it to a floppy, you need to either decompress it first with gunzip or use transadf which can decompress it on the fly.
Old 22 July 2023, 12:49   #12
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Please don't, it's not an ADF but a gzipped ADF.

It can be used as an adz in WinUAE. If you want to write it to a floppy, you need to either decompress it first with gunzip or use transadf which can decompress it on the fly.
Acknowledging better research. Changing the name worked in AF though. I am supposing it auto extracts.