English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 October 2007, 04:24   #1
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

SFS x86 native for WinUAE?

Is there an x86 native version of SFS for use with WinUAE?

Is it correct to say that WinUAE has x86 native versions of AHI and P96?

Any other components have been recompiled as x86 native?
Old 16 October 2007, 04:54   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@YoJoe

Hello there,

WinUAE emulates the amiga, it *on the fly* transposes processor / graphic and sound, it runs all things as though it was indeed the HOST machine, there are some transparencies that WinUAE offers such like the browsing of PC directories and the use of *other* ports in a transparent way to the emulated machine.

There is no x86 native amiga converted code being used by WinUAE, its regular amiga code that is emulated by WinUAE and then processed into PC commands...

so the PC (the host) only sees WinUAE as a program that needs resources and IO.... the WinUAE program, knows only how to configure the emulator share the programs IO with the emulation *obviously graphic and sounds etc*... the Emulation however knows nothing of the other two stages.

.... if the above is a lame description my apologies as its like way past my bed time.

Now.... there is a program called Amithalon, this program based on a linux core, infact is a replacement OS based on Amiga OS3.5, the Amithalon package runs inline emulator and direct native x86 code.... its pretty awesome... alas trying to obtain a copy is damned difficult!

alas, if only OS3.9 or 4.0 (for me 3.5 if i had it my way) would be re-compiled to work on an X86 machine!

arguably in this country you are in your legal rights to decompile the code and to add extra or needed functionality to it..... alas... one cannot disseminate it afterwards... and in all truth.... the above is not legal in a lot of countries, and i believe the USA is one of them... but alas i am unsure to their (ever changing) IP and or copyright laws...
Old 16 October 2007, 13:00   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1: No.

2: Yes and no. Things like Picasso96, uaescsi.device, uaeserial.device etc.. have both Amiga and host-side parts.

3: Not the point of UAE. (and i guess context switches would kill performance)
Old 16 October 2007, 13:17   #4
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

So would it be possible for SFS author to make/compile a uaeSFS that is much faster than a pure 68000 SFS and also would not strain the JIT as much?
Old 16 October 2007, 14:00   #5
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
when did any filesystem under uae become slow ? files zip around alot faster then my actual amiga ever could.
Old 16 October 2007, 14:03   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoJoe! View Post
So would it be possible for SFS author to make/compile a uaeSFS that is much faster than a pure 68000 SFS and also would not strain the JIT as much?
Possible? Yes. But totally worthless extra complexity and as I said, not the point of UAE.

Buy a new faster PC
Old 16 October 2007, 16:37   #7
Ed Cruse

Quote:

Even if somebody did, would it really make any usuable difference? The difference between PFS and FFS is 2 to 1, that's real fast verses super fast. In practice I haven't notice any difference in how long it takes to compile my very large programs between the two. Most of the hardfile speed with WinUAE comes from Window's harddrive cache. The cache is very large and very fast, and really speeds things up. The cpu emulation being much faster definitely helps too, but Amiga filing systems are designed to run on slow real Amigas so I think you run into the point of diminishing returns.

The only reason that I have been obsessed with hardfile speed is because I'm a speed freek, I also pay attention to cpu and fpu speed.
Old 17 October 2007, 10:48   #8
ceztko

Quote:
Is there an x86 native version of SFS for use with WinUAE?
If you need to just access SFS partitions, it's supported natively on linux hosts:
http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow.../asfs/asfs.txt

As already pointed, having a recompiled fs code to use in an emulator is probably against emulation principles in general: you want to use original code, not reimplemented one.
Old 17 October 2007, 11:40   #9
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I guess you could always run your hardfile from a RAM disk on PC... ?