English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 August 2004, 04:53   #1
Desverger

Scandoubler gurus needed.

Maybe I am trying to be cheap, and maybe I want something with more features and versatility but here is my idea:

I have no idea if this will work since I don't know much about RGB and VGA signals. That is where you come in:

My idea:

(I would eventually like to build my own cable to eliminate the first two steps but haven't done the research yet.)

1) Connect RGB to VGA adapter to RGB output of amiga 1200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...121581624&rd=1

2) Connect VGA to S-Video adapter to convert RGB signal to S-Video.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...495930738&rd=1

3) Plug S-Video Lead into Scan convertor / TV tuner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

4) Plug scan convertor into VGA monitor.

Do you guys think this will work? I understand I am dealing with two seperate issues. 1 is all the connections being correct and the other is all the signals being converted as necessary.

It just pains me to shell out $144 on a scan doubler for the amiga and have that be its only use. With this I can at least watch TV on my monitor and hook my game consoles up to a monitor.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01 August 2004, 09:35   #2
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desverger
3) Plug S-Video Lead into Scan convertor / TV tuner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

4) Plug scan convertor into VGA monitor.
Thanks in advance.
Uh, just do the s-video mod to the A1200 and connect that to the last piece of equipment you have there.

http://batman.jypoly.fi/~saku/lehti/.../liitannat.gif

maa == ground, the s-video connector is displayed from the front (look at the numbers).

Don't expect miracles from the output. The s-video signal you'll get with the mod will be good if connected to a real TV / tv-frequency monitor, but the converter usually does a lackluster job of converting it to VGA.

Also, after writing that I checked out your links. The VGA -> s-video adapter wouldn't even work for you! It requires support from the graphics card, which isn't going to happen in this case..

So, just solder the above circuit to the video encoder chip and plug the resulting s-video signal to a tv tuner / v-box / tft panel's s-video input and you should be ok.
Old 02 August 2004, 00:52   #3
Amiga1992

If you want to use more than one peripheral, buy yoursel;f an XRGB2 sandoubler. This is not for the amiga, it's for everything! You would be able to connect the Amiga to it with ease. However I don't know if you can use productivity and dblpal modes through an XRGB2.

But for games it will be perfect (it even has a hardware emulated scanlines mode :P).

You'll spend like 250 dollars but it will serve you for every bloody thing from Amiga to Gamecube to Arcade PCBs.
Old 02 August 2004, 06:26   #4
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
If you want to use more than one peripheral, buy yoursel;f an XRGB2 sandoubler. This is not for the amiga, it's for everything! You would be able to connect the Amiga to it with ease. However I don't know if you can use productivity and dblpal modes through an XRGB2.
Dblpal via a scandoubler is pretty useless - the scandoubler already does the same thing in hardware! Also, normal pal via a scandoubler is a lot faster than Dblpal.
Quote:
You'll spend like 250 dollars but it will serve you for every bloody thing from Amiga to Gamecube to Arcade PCBs.
Link please. :-)

I have a Redant V-Box, but it really sucks quality wise.
Old 02 August 2004, 10:09   #5
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
Dblpal via a scandoubler is pretty useless - the scandoubler already does the same thing in hardware! Also, normal pal via a scandoubler is a lot faster than Dblpal.

Link please. :-)

I have a Redant V-Box, but it really sucks quality wise.
Have you experienced the joys of GOOGLE yet? If not give it a try!
Old 02 August 2004, 14:02   #6
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
Have you experienced the joys of GOOGLE yet? If not give it a try!
You're so much better than me. :-)

The link:

http://www.gamefreax.com/lshop,showd...051916387,.htm

Seems like a nice box.. The RGB doubling feature is a definite plus.

I saw a similar one on lik-sang a long time ago, but they don't seem to have it any more. I think it was about $150.. A lot cheaper but with equal features.. (well ok, no fake scanline-mode.. boohoo :-)
Old 02 August 2004, 16:10   #7
Amiga1992

Don't go for any of those el-cheapo upscan converters... XRGB2 is where it's at, and those shoddy chinese spinoffs have bad quality (like your VBox, )
Old 05 August 2004, 16:57   #8
Desverger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Don't go for any of those el-cheapo upscan converters... XRGB2 is where it's at, and those shoddy chinese spinoffs have bad quality (like your VBox, )
Thanks for all the responses. I have decided just to get an external amiga scandoubler because of the price difference. Is the toastscan from software hut good? What is the best external scandoubler to get?