English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 06 February 2022, 04:01   #1581
Amiga-Digital

i have download roadshow ( demo version ) to test the ethernet on the mainboard , but thats no working amithlon crash when it try to bootuo , 2 leds on the keyboard blinks , when i trun the ethernet of and use the realtek 8196s of sc card its the same problem online for 3min and then it is gone from myn networks and amithlon hangs i must reset amithlon

i will try the order kernel look if it's works when not , i buy me a realtek 8139 10/100mb card
Old 06 February 2022, 15:14   #1582
Amiga-Digital

ok the ethetnet on the gigabyte mianboard works now with the kernel snk , i can login into myn ftp , when i donwload f big file is goes to about 190mb and then the connection is gone , and the speed are 5mb , i use roadshow demo , witch netinterface i must use , or must i make a on one for the rtl8111 chip thats on the mainboard
Old 06 February 2022, 19:26   #1583
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga-Digital View Post
ok the ethetnet on the gigabyte mianboard works now with the kernel snk , i can login into myn ftp , when i donwload f big file is goes to about 190mb and then the connection is gone , and the speed are 5mb , i use roadshow demo , witch netinterface i must use , or must i make a on one for the rtl8111 chip thats on the mainboard
I copied and edited the rtl_8139pci as Amithlon.net for Roadshow.

device=amithlon1_net.device
Unit=0
State=online

My router doesn't like my Amithlon dhcp request so I have an assigned IP address and netmask and commented out (#) configure=dhcp.

address="my ip"
netmask="my netmask"
#configure=dhcp
#configure=auto
#configure=fastauto
#debug=yes
iprequest=64
writerequest=64
#filter=local
#filter=ipandarp
#filter=everything
requireinitdelay=no

and since I'm not doing dhcp I also edited the "name_resolution" file and added my router's IP as the nameserver address and the "routes" file with the same for default.
Old 06 February 2022, 19:33   #1584
Amiga-Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
I copied and edited the rtl_8139pci as Amithlon.net for Roadshow.

device=amithlon1_net.device
Unit=0
State=online

My router doesn't like my Amithlon dhcp request so I have an assigned IP address and netmask and commented out (#) configure=dhcp.

address="my ip"
netmask="my netmask"
#configure=dhcp
#configure=auto
#configure=fastauto
#debug=yes
iprequest=64
writerequest=64
#filter=local
#filter=ipandarp
#filter=everything
requireinitdelay=no

and since I'm not doing dhcp I also edited the "name_resolution" file and added my router's IP as the nameserver address and the "routes" file with the same for default.

thanks,

i whas testing with roadshow , but i have now take the network disk from myn aca500+ , and install the disk on amithlon and runs now with amitcp , and this goes beter amithlon is still online for 4 hrs , and when i download a file from myn ftp on the to amithlon to ram i get a speed about 13mb , to a ide hd about 5mb to a sata old hd almost 7mb , zo i will look what the speed are with a sata ssd drive , but now i use the proggie network from the aca500+ with the amithlon device and the ethernet from the gigabyte board and it works with your snk40 kernel great job
Old 06 February 2022, 22:01   #1585
milanca

@Amiga-Digital Don't use please the kernel attached here for anything else other than 'qemu'. Those were just some tests (working though) I did for qemu but they are not an updates for original kernel image.
Old 06 February 2022, 22:40   #1586
Amiga-Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
@Amiga-Digital Don't use please the kernel attached here for anything else other than 'qemu'. Those were just some tests (working though) I did for qemu but they are not an updates for original kernel image.
i have only use the kernel to see of the ethernet works on the gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l board , and at the moment it works , i whas also try to see if the realtek 8169 card works with the kernel , but that don't works . the kernel i use only for testing the networks at the moment
Old 10 February 2022, 01:26   #1587
Amiga-Digital

another quest

i got a second gigabyte board rev 1.0 ( ga-p35-ds3 bios f14 ) this one got 3 sata ports ( for 6 sata drives )

on port 1 i got a sandisk 250gb ultra ssd for boot amithlon and os3,9
works great , with dopus to de dh1 of the ssd i get 19,55mb on speed with download a 750mb file

but now , i got a second ssd , a sandisk ultra ssd 1tb , when try to get it works i can not make the drive in 2 or 3 parts , after save system crash , i have put the ssd on myn amiga 2000 make 3 partition , put the ssd on the second sata port , works great , but now , the speed of the drive are slow , to the first drive the download speed are 19.55mb/s , when i do the same file to the second ssd i got only a download speed of about 6.4 till 7.3mb/s

how can i get the second ssd the same speed as the first ssd as boot disk

edit 10-02-22 11:46

found the problem why the second ssd are slow

sata port 1 - 250gb ssd
sata port 2 - leave empty , when you connect a hd/ssd speed real slow
sata port 3 - 1tb ssd working as same speed then ssd on port 1

now the bold ssd works great , downlaod with networks to bold ssd's 19,55mb/s

thanks

Last edited by Amiga-Digital; 10 February 2022 at 11:48.
Old 11 February 2022, 18:05   #1588
Korban

PCI passthrough isnt an option.
*Again* it needs hardware support, something no Amithlon hardware has, or you can use iommu, which needs kernel support that amithlon lacks.

What exactly are people wanting to run that a 1st gen i7 doesnt run anyway ? (my fully supported native amithlon box is an i7-870@4.3ghz/pcie gf5200/pcie sb audigy/sata ssd).

Seems people put more time, effort and thought towards finding new ways to do something that can already be done.
Old 16 February 2022, 06:17   #1589
chr0mak3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLD-SNaKe View Post
hello

@SnkBitten thanks for those tips, good reference for using Amithlon under virtualbox

@Amiga-Digital I use the Roadshow stack, I don't remember my connection going offline after a while, but My Amithlon system used to hang after connecting using the internal ethernet. I think I ended using a custom compiled kernel. Since you are using the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board, I think you can give a try to the custom kernel compiled by SnkBitten for that board (I'm using that under my Amithlon system): http://amithlon.snkbitten.com/files/mykernel/
I had just recently started trying to get a second Amithlon rig working after i picked up a GA-P35-DS4 motherboard. (I already had a system working reasonably well, a HUGE thanks to SnkBitten for the blog and guides/resources, but repurposed that rig for another project.)

This motherboard took a LOT of bios tweaking to get going. In the end I got everything running well (geforce FX 5200, Soundblaster live, USB) except this board only has 2 PCI slots, so I needed to get the onboard ethernet working (or get a PCIE card).

The issue I had was I couldn't get kernel 4 to boot. I tried everything to get it to boot but it would always lead me to a screen with garbled graphics. After some snooping the internet, I then tried out one of the earlier kernel4 revisions, which did in fact let me boot the machine.

But I still couldnt get the onboard ethernet to work though. Everytime i would try, the machine would lock up and kernel panic right when attempting to connect (Using SnkBitten's rtl8111 driver and Genesis or Roadshow)

Eventually I just decided to read this ENTIRE thread, in case there was some thing that might help. I finally got to this reply about trying SnkBitten's custom kernel.

Well that did the job and now the onboard eternet is working great.

So anyway, the GA-p35-ds4 can get added to the hardware list now. USB and Ethernet work fine. With some effort

Thanks SnkBitten and SLD-SNaKe.

Hopefully I can provide some useful input in this thread in future.
Old 16 February 2022, 10:36   #1590
Amiga-Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0mak3y View Post
I had just recently started trying to get a second Amithlon rig working after i picked up a GA-P35-DS4 motherboard. (I already had a system working reasonably well, a HUGE thanks to SnkBitten for the blog and guides/resources, but repurposed that rig for another project.)

This motherboard took a LOT of bios tweaking to get going. In the end I got everything running well (geforce FX 5200, Soundblaster live, USB) except this board only has 2 PCI slots, so I needed to get the onboard ethernet working (or get a PCIE card).

The issue I had was I couldn't get kernel 4 to boot. I tried everything to get it to boot but it would always lead me to a screen with garbled graphics. After some snooping the internet, I then tried out one of the earlier kernel4 revisions, which did in fact let me boot the machine.

But I still couldnt get the onboard ethernet to work though. Everytime i would try, the machine would lock up and kernel panic right when attempting to connect (Using SnkBitten's rtl8111 driver and Genesis or Roadshow)

Eventually I just decided to read this ENTIRE thread, in case there was some thing that might help. I finally got to this reply about trying SnkBitten's custom kernel.

Well that did the job and now the onboard eternet is working great.

So anyway, the GA-p35-ds4 can get added to the hardware list now. USB and Ethernet work fine. With some effort

Thanks SnkBitten and SLD-SNaKe.

Hopefully I can provide some useful input in this thread in future.

nice i get also this week the same board you have to test , but do you have test it with sata drive's if it works good , i use at the moment the ga-p35-ds3 with 2 ssd on the sata bus , but when i try with dopus5 to copy big file 1 till 2gb from the first to the second ssd the system crash , when i set the bios to only raid/ide then it works but the copy goes slow , i don't how it works on the ds4 board if it works better
Old 17 February 2022, 00:35   #1591
chr0mak3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga-Digital View Post
nice i get also this week the same board you have to test , but do you have test it with sata drive's if it works good , i use at the moment the ga-p35-ds3 with 2 ssd on the sata bus , but when i try with dopus5 to copy big file 1 till 2gb from the first to the second ssd the system crash , when i set the bios to only raid/ide then it works but the copy goes slow , i don't how it works on the ds4 board if it works better
The sata on this board is a bit hit and miss. Initally i had the fat16 partion on sata, and the amithlon partitions on IDE. I had to use sata cd rom to run freedos, and an IDE cd rom to load Amithlon.

Now I have amithlon on the Sata drive as well, but there are still some issues when copying files to my 'work' partition. I may go back to the IDE drive for a while until i can sort this out.
Old 17 February 2022, 00:48   #1592
Amiga-Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0mak3y View Post
The sata on this board is a bit hit and miss. Initally i had the fat16 partion on sata, and the amithlon partitions on IDE. I had to use sata cd rom to run freedos, and an IDE cd rom to load Amithlon.

Now I have amithlon on the Sata drive as well, but there are still some issues when copying files to my 'work' partition. I may go back to the IDE drive for a while until i can sort this out.
i have test also sata on the ga-p35-ds3l , ga-p35-ds3 , but bold the same problem , when i try copy with dopus5 it crash system hang's , when i copy from workbench from dh1 to dh5 ( other hd ) then it goed oke , but when i run myn bbs and some one upload a big file like 1,2gb after test the file and copy to the dir it belongs the system hangs and must reboot , so this week i get also the ga-p35-ds4 to make a test , a 3 sata hd's 1 x 250gn and 3 x 500gb , i test now whit sandisk ultra 3d sdd , 250gb and 2 x 1tb
Old 18 February 2022, 14:01   #1593
Amiga-Digital

so today i whas testing a gigabyte ga-p35-ds4 board with 8 sata ports . try a few kernels but i think amithlon wil not works well with sata , the problem still be there with copy files from hd to hd , after copy 1 little file system crash , even when i try to copy 750mb file it crash bij about 285mb , i test it with dopus5 , mybay time to find a amd board with a rtl8168 chip on board and test if that works better

edit 16:22

copy files goes now a bit better , i have only change this , i have change the buffer of the harddrive from 80 to 30 , and copy the fastfilesystem from amigaOS3.0 45.7 cd , and now i can copy files from about 100 till 820mb from dh to dh

Last edited by Amiga-Digital; 18 February 2022 at 16:23.
Old 19 February 2022, 04:02   #1594
cloverskull

I've used kernel4 to copy from my SATA CD-ROM to my SATA HDD with no issues. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. Everything works as expected with this mobo (as long as I use kernel4).
Old 19 February 2022, 17:24   #1595
Amiga-Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
I've used kernel4 to copy from my SATA CD-ROM to my SATA HDD with no issues. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. Everything works as expected with this mobo (as long as I use kernel4).
thats ok ,when i use kernel4 i can't use the gbit ethernet , and with the snk kernel i can use the ethernet on a speed of 19mb/s , but at the moment it works with 2 sata drive , when i use 3 then the problem came back with copy files , but i will test en change things that even works with 3 or more sata hd's

with kernel4 and 41a i still got some problems with copy file on a sata hd bigger then 500gb , i go to look for a gigabyte amd board to test how that works , i know that a amd board work better then a pentium board

Last edited by Amiga-Digital; 20 February 2022 at 00:33.
Old 24 February 2022, 14:58   #1596
Amiga-Digital

today i have buy a Asus A8N-SLI SE with a amd 3800+ at 2ghz cpu

i most say this works great with kernel 41a even the netword on the morherboard works ( 10/100/1000 ) and copy file from ide tot sata works beter then on the gigabyte ga-p35 board's that i have , so this is the board that i will use , i look if i get a second board to make 2 100% working amithlon system's ,

i use as boot a 250gb with a adapter for ide-to-sata and 2 other drive are connect on the sata port , i have turn the sound of from the mainboard , there whas a little problem in the .o file ,

but for now it runs great
Old 03 March 2022, 03:08   #1597
chr0mak3y

i am also having issue with my soundblaster on ga-p35-ds4. I have tried 2 different sb live cards. both get recognised by pcilist, but neither show up with ahi.

I have even tried a clean install.

I think i am going to shelve this motherboard for now and revisit later
Old 03 March 2022, 04:07   #1598
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I have the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board and it's been my favorite board so far. Fast, motherboard gigabit nic, PCI (SBLive, Catweasel MK IV, nVidia FX5200) and PCIe (IntelPro 1000 and Matrox G550 at one time) cards.

I'm curious what they upgraded to in the DS4 board. The only thing I really see is the Southbridge changed from the ICH9 to the ICH9R which I believe is just Raid but there may be some other changes in the way it handles SATA drives. The PCI interface should be the same.

As for the Soundblaster, make sure you have installed the AHI version 6 ( m68k-amigaos-ahiusr-6.0.lha from aminet ) and did the manual copy of the files as described in the install guide. Also I'm using Kernel 4 but recompiled from the source tree Milanca provided. I believe I just removed things I didn't have to make the kernel a tad smaller to free up ram. Soundblaster should be enabled in kernel4 with the appropriate AHI install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AHI.png
Views:	178
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	74930
Old 14 March 2022, 04:09   #1599
chr0mak3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
I have the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board and it's been my favorite board so far. Fast, motherboard gigabit nic, PCI (SBLive, Catweasel MK IV, nVidia FX5200) and PCIe (IntelPro 1000 and Matrox G550 at one time) cards.

I'm curious what they upgraded to in the DS4 board. The only thing I really see is the Southbridge changed from the ICH9 to the ICH9R which I believe is just Raid but there may be some other changes in the way it handles SATA drives. The PCI interface should be the same.

As for the Soundblaster, make sure you have installed the AHI version 6 ( m68k-amigaos-ahiusr-6.0.lha from aminet ) and did the manual copy of the files as described in the install guide. Also I'm using Kernel 4 but recompiled from the source tree Milanca provided. I believe I just removed things I didn't have to make the kernel a tad smaller to free up ram. Soundblaster should be enabled in kernel4 with the appropriate AHI install.

Attachment 74930
This is exactly what I have done, but no soundblaster love.
Old 24 April 2022, 19:00   #1600
webman

Hey all. Seems I'm a little late to the party. I hope someone can give me some insight. Here's my setup:
A8N5X motherboard
Socket 939 AMD
IDE HDD
1 GB DDR RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 Gfx card

Thanks to Charlie (snkbitten http://amithlon.snkbitten.com/) I've managed to get my Amithlon up and running. However, I can't get any better than 640X480 8bit VESA builtin. I tried Picasso mode and no luck. My motherboard has PCIe graphics. It's the oldest working board and CPU I could find. I know I can't get #d accellerated graphics, but I'd like to get a higher screenmode for workbench. Is this possible with my card? I have a newer Zotac card (GT 730) but that gives me the same screenmode options. I'm pretty good with programming and computers, but been out of the Amiga game for some time. If my cards won't work at all, are there any PCIe gfx cards that will give better screenmodes on the Amithlon? Thanks in advance.