English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 22 November 2021, 16:20   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Why did they change the name of Workbench to AmigaOS

I will always call AmigaOS Workbench, you do not see Microsoft calling Windows PCOS... its just Windows there is no OS in its name cause you know its a OS for the PC, like you know Workbench is for the Amiga.... WorkbenchOS no I do not think so...lol

I think the name Workbench is more nostalgic too and sounds better, Workbench 1.3 sounds better then AmigaOS 1.3, even if Commodore naming it Workbench was a accident.

Anyone know why Commodore called it Workbench not AmigaOS to begin with...?
(A Guess)I think the name changed might of happened when CBM went bust in 1994, I have a Workbench 3.1 on disk and it say Commodore Workbench 3.1, so properly other companies getting the copyright to Workbench renamed it to AmigaOS, to sell it on its own like Windows without the hardware.

I still think the 68k computers are the best Amigas Commodore made, the other ones(Amiga One( are hybrids part PC and Apple hardware and are clones like the PC is a clone to the IBM PC from 1981 and they don't interest me at all, I only like the Amigas made by Commodore and Workbench up it 3.1, I will always have the older machines, I love them... Amiga is Spanish its from the word Hello and from Amigo in Spanish so like `Hello World I am a new computer come and use me and see what I can do`..

The OS now has two names.... lol but Amiga Workbench is its original name.

Last edited by spannernick; 22 November 2021 at 16:54.
Old 22 November 2021, 16:46   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

The Kickstart ROM is not a part of Workbench (except for Workbench.library). The term AmigaOS encapsulates both Workbench and the Kickstart routines. That's the reason for the name change.
Old 22 November 2021, 16:50   #3
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I will always call AmigaOS Workbench, you do not see Microsoft calling Windows PCOS... its just Windows there is no OS in its name cause you know its a OS for the PC, like you know Workbench is for the Amiga.... WorkbenchOS no I do not think so...lol

I think the name Workbench is more nostalgic too and sounds better, Workbench 1.3 sounds better then AmigaOS 1.3, even if Commodore naming it Workbench was a accident.

Anyone know why Commodore called it Workbench not AmigaOS to begin with...?
(A Guess)I think the name changed might of happened when CBM went bust in 1994, I have a Workbench 3.1 on disk and it say Commodore Workbench 3.1, so properly other companies getting the copyright to Workbench renamed it to AmigaOS, to sell it on its own like Windows without the hardware.

I still think the 68k computers are the best Amigas Commodore made, the other ones are hybrids part PC and Apple hardware and they don't interest me at all, I only like the Amigas made by Commodore and Workbench up it 3.1, I will always have the older machines, I love them... Amiga is Spanish its from the word Hello, Amigo in Spanish so like `Hello World I am a new computer come and use me and see what I can do`..

The OS now has two names.... lol but Amiga Workbench is its original name.
Why do you think AmigaOS was ever called Workbench when the Workbench is just an application which runs under AmigaOS?

BTW, Commodore generally referred to AmigaOS as AmigaDOS and IIRC it was later changed it to AmigaOS during the last days of Commodore.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 22 November 2021 at 18:42.
Old 22 November 2021, 16:57   #4
thomas

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/15-108
Old 22 November 2021, 18:14   #5
grond

"Workbench" never meant the entire operating system. "Workbench" refers to what I believe in a Windows computer is the explorer even though few users realise that's the name of the GUI. "Windows" is then what "AmigaOS" stands for, the entire operating system including the GUI.
Old 22 November 2021, 19:20   #6
Thomas Richter

Some definitions of the components:

Kickstart: That is the resident ROM component, which "kick starts" the entire operating system, but to make the Os complete, it requires disk based components.

Workbench: The graphical user interface, also loosely confused with all disk-based components of the operating system.

AmigaDOS: That's the 68K port of Tripos. Strictly speaking, this is only the dos.library, the shell, the OFS/FFS, and the port-handler, ram-handler, aux-handler, everything in L and C: In this strict definition, exec is not part of AmigaDOS. AmigaDOS is partially in the Kickstart (dos,shell,ffs), but also part of the workbench (port-handler, commands)

AmigaOs: The entire thing, Kickstart & Workbench (ROM and disk based).
Old 22 November 2021, 21:16   #7
idrougge

It was a bit of a fad in the 90s — Apple changed the name of their operating system from just »System« to »MacOS« around the same time.
Old 23 November 2021, 02:32   #8
spannernick
Retro Nuts

"Tripos" to "AmigaDOS" Amiga is part British...wow.. Got to love Cambridge... Thats where the Acorn Archimedes was build(it looks abit like a A500)RISC, its the ARM processor today, all the devices we have now is thanks to a 16 bit computer from 1987... we all have a bit of Acorn in our pocket... , shame Amiga didn't go that way, Commodore wasted money of computers that flopped(CDTV, C64GS and Amiga CD32, they did it 3 times).