English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 20 January 2019, 18:36   #61
lesta_smsc

As far as I'm aware as long as you take over the 2nd hole, you can use the 1.44MB as 720KB.
Old 20 January 2019, 18:39   #62
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
As far as I'm aware as long as you take over the 2nd hole, you can use the 1.44MB as 720KB.
Since the recording material is a bit different it is not optimal to do that but in practice it works fine most of the time. A good HD floppy disk is surely better than a moldy DD.
Old 21 January 2019, 02:37   #63
Nobby_UK

I too would be glad to help...

I have 35 DD disks in front of me now -
doing nothing --- looking for a purpose.
Old 21 January 2019, 22:23   #64
lesta_smsc

Perfect. I've got load of disks sitting around too. Unfortunately, I can't vouch for their status until I need to actually use.

Now the question is. How does one go about the logistics and legality of this?

I'm not sure if things which are freeware still need licence for distribution?
Old 30 October 2021, 04:19   #65
lesta_smsc

Sorry to bump my old thread but unless things have changed with the legalities of this, it seems to be a service offered by Retro32:

https://www.retro32.com/product/amig...s-applications

Although it seems to offer backups of copyright software given the way it mentions Monkey Island...

Is this something we can offer now as I'm sure people would appreciate it although nowadays writing ones own disks has become a lot easier since I created this thread.
Old 30 October 2021, 09:15   #66
demolition
Unregistered User

Nothing has changed here. You cannot distribute copyrighted software without the consent of the copyright owner. Most freeware should be fine as that implies the copyright owner has provided anyone the rights to distribute the software as they please.

That someone else does it, doesn't make it any more legal. If you get caught for speeding, do you think your case will be dismissed if you point out that other people are also speeding?
Old 30 October 2021, 09:25   #67
lesta_smsc

No i agree. It is just that it is a reputable site and they sell hardware etc... so just odd they offer the copyrighted disks too eg Monkey Island.

Would it be okay to distribute those who prove they have disks so to replace originals as Amiga Workbench is copyright but the manual encourages making copy for backup lol.
Old 30 October 2021, 09:44   #68
demolition
Unregistered User

In some countries that might be fine, but it really depends on the laws of where you live. With regards to MI, that francise is now owned by Disney and they are not exactly known to be friendly towards people who infringe on their copyright or illegally redistribute their IP.

You might be fine and suffer no consequences if you immediately obey a cease and desist letter if that arrives, but why bother taking the chance? As you write, it is now a lot easier to find ways of bootstrapping an Amiga, so I think there is less need for such a service.
Old 30 October 2021, 18:55   #69
deimos
It's coming back!

Quote:
it seems to offer backups of copyright software
Obviously, they require you to send them your non-working originals, for them to destroy (documenting the fact) and replace with duplicates.

Anything else would be risking jail time for them.
Old 30 October 2021, 19:00   #70
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos View Post
Obviously, they require you to send them your non-working originals, for them to destroy (documenting the fact) and replace with duplicates.

Wow ok... I'm all for helping out hence the thread. But I was just worried there may be repercussions for such an act.
Old 30 October 2021, 20:50   #71
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos View Post

I think that would be very unlikely. A case like that would probably only be initiated as a civil lawsuit in most countries, and they should only result in a fine (or rather, a compensation).

I doubt that police around here would ever consider starting such a case. They are way too busy already and would not waste time on petty stuff like someone copying 30 year old software.
Old 06 November 2021, 03:40   #72
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Just realised there have been a few posts recently where users have struggled to get access to make full use of their Amiga. Whether this is due to the initial networking limitation (no Workbench or disk that has Workbench within it e.g. Deluxe Paint) to make use of Amiga Forever, or they do not have any means to write ADF to get going or simply wish to obtain certain freeware games/applications.
This is now a solved problem.
Old 06 November 2021, 03:57   #73
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
That looks very cool and even quite user-friendly despite the fact that it does require opening the Amiga.
Old 06 November 2021, 05:45   #74
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
That looks very cool and even quite user-friendly despite the fact that it does require opening the Amiga.
I tried to make it easy to use.

Note it's very cool even when you already have a workbench disk and thus do not need to open the Amiga. I'm not aware of any tool even comparable; It will e.g. write a floppy and verify it in under 2 minutes.
Old 08 November 2021, 09:16   #75
lesta_smsc

Quote:
This is incredible! I've always wondered about such a solution. In fact, I once tried to make a custom bootdisk but that still relied on serial drivers so effectively used up RAM hence slowed down transfers. Will test this out soon.
Old 08 November 2021, 09:30   #76
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Will test this out soon.
Please let me know how that goes. You'd be surprised how little feedback I've had from users.

And it took me several weeks from the first release to hear about anyone trying it at all.
Old 08 November 2021, 09:33   #77
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Please let me know how that goes. You'd be surprised how little feedback I've had from users.

And it took me several weeks from the first release to hear about anyone trying it at all.
I think it may be partly as not many know about it. To be honest I've only become aware of it via yourself!

As for the hardware mod, since I can make a bootable option I'd go with that by installing boot bootblock debug!

Hombre was a disk with various utilities, I can't remember if it contained debug option but adding this would be handy
Old 23 October 2022, 13:41   #78
lesta_smsc

Quote:

How remiss of me. I actually did test this and it worked! Oddly I thought the Amiga had crashed lol - I have a disk with it added, I believe someone added the debug option unless I added that in the startup-sequence.

I wasn't able to achieve that very fast right speeds though. I believe it was the lowest baud rate when it worked but I may have had something disabled.

Making it boot into debug directly with a prompt might be useful than having to do this via Workbench?
Old 23 October 2022, 14:22   #79
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
How remiss of me. I actually did test this and it worked! Oddly I thought the Amiga had crashed lol - I have a disk with it added, I believe someone added the debug option unless I added that in the startup-sequence.

I wasn't able to achieve that very fast right speeds though. I believe it was the lowest baud rate when it worked but I may have had something disabled.

Making it boot into debug directly with a prompt might be useful than having to do this via Workbench?
The crash method (as documented here) forces 9600bps for safety reasons; People shouldn't have to rely on it more than once, and when they do it, I want to be sure it works, thus why 9600.

The other methods should allow much faster speeds. I get 115200 with a 2m cable, and max speed with a usb-serial adapter connected to the Amiga almost directly (through a DB9 to DB25 adapter).

Entering the debugger via workbench debug menu or via the debug cli/wb tool I bundle in the release archives gives access to dos.library functions (i.e. moving files around), which the debug bootblocks do not offer, as dos.library isn't yet initialized at that point.

Was the method you tested the crash method (bus error with e.g. tweezers)? I still (to date) haven't had any feedback from anyone using it. It 100% works here, and I try it every time I make a release. I have it wired to a switch for that purpose.

Last edited by admiral; 23 October 2022 at 14:23. Reason: e.g. tweezers
Old 13 November 2022, 22:59   #80
lesta_smsc

Quote:
The crash method (as documented here) forces 9600bps for safety reasons; People shouldn't have to rely on it more than once, and when they do it, I want to be sure it works, thus why 9600.

The other methods should allow much faster speeds. I get 115200 with a 2m cable, and max speed with a usb-serial adapter connected to the Amiga almost directly (through a DB9 to DB25 adapter).

Entering the debugger via workbench debug menu or via the debug cli/wb tool I bundle in the release archives gives access to dos.library functions (i.e. moving files around), which the debug bootblocks do not offer, as dos.library isn't yet initialized at that point.

Was the method you tested the crash method (bus error with e.g. tweezers)? I still (to date) haven't had any feedback from anyone using it. It 100% works here, and I try it every time I make a release. I have it wired to a switch for that purpose.
I tested using debug method via selecting within windows but unable to get any faster speed. I think it worked at 19,200.

I used via USB to serial adaptor on pc but that is capable of 115200 as that is the speed for other device I use.