English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 29 October 2021, 23:48   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I am trying to work out how Gary's Amiga CD32 200 Games CD from 2003 works

I got it working using a UAE file and a HDF file by copying its files from its iso image to a HDF file

This was its original thread... https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10225

but some games are not working like Chaos Engine CD, it came up with...

Code:
devren Unknown Command
devren failed returncode 10
This was the only way I could get it to load in Retroarch and P-UAE, I tried to load it as a image but didn't work.

The Floppy version of Chaos Engine is better, this has a intro as part of its CD but it has no sound cause its missing the CD audio, I properly try and replace this game with the original game.

Looking at the files I can not find AGS menu or any info of where the games info in Arcade Game Selector is kept, anyone know where they would be, I can't even find the AGS menu...?

This is its start-up sequence, if you look, you can see the a file called menu in it but I can not find any file in it called that, it executes it with this line..
Code:
ram:execute ram:menu
Code:
s:assign env: ram:
echo "AmigaCD32 200 Games Compilation (Build #41 14-June-2003)"             
s:PAL                                   
s:assign >NIL: rad: EXISTS
IF NOT WARN
    failat 99999
    IF NOT EXISTS rad:OK
        echo >rad:OK
        rad:assign t: ram:
        rad:assign s: rad:s
        rad:execute rad:s/startup-sequence
    ELSE
        s:hardreset
    ENDIF
ENDIF
failat 99999
s:setpatch quiet
s:add44k
s:mount s:rad
s:rad.run -i rad: >NIL:
s:loadresource s:iffparse.library s:lowlevel.library LOCK
s:show -q x s:start.iff ram:
;s:cdspeed double >NIL:
;ram:wait 1
ram:assign t: ram:
ram:execute ram:menu
endcli

Last edited by spannernick; 06 November 2021 at 21:55.
Old 30 October 2021, 02:01   #2
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I did rework one his compilations once to remove the keys

iirc the AGS files all have extension .start ???
so just use a search tool to search for them.

but..... they might be copied to ram or something hidden in a self extracting lha
I really can't remember but Chaos Engine probably won't run it uses a CD32 CD loader ???

s:rad.run might be the self extracting lha with the AGS files, this ends up in RAM with all the AGS stuff.

Pretty good compilations imo loved the video clips

edit - I think I remember CE CD32 needs a fake cd.device to run on non CD32 from HD.

Last edited by Retro1234; 30 October 2021 at 03:15.
Old 30 October 2021, 15:45   #3
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Yeah I like it too, was using it on my A1700 now using it in WinUAE or on my THEC64 Maxi...

My plain was now I have copied it to a HDF file and most of it works, I might be able to add more games to it cause you are not restricted by how big the CD is but how big the HDF is and that 2 GB so it has more space, you can mount the hdf file in WinUAE and load Workbench to see its files on the HDF.

A idea...
Can I fool it into thinking it loading the hdf from CD0 and may be use assign or something cause thats its problem, it not booting from CD0 but HD0 from the hard drive not CD rom Drive now.... ?

Another World is another game that does not work now too cause its running from the hard drive.

The guy who made this, his name is Gary and in the Amiga there is a Gary chip... : ) I have been using this CD for about 17 years, I got it from http://www.total-amiga.com that does not exist no more, so just before I joined here in 2004... I never used any other CD compilation, it was the best one, I like the screen saver and the music.
I have being booting it as a iso using SimCD32 so from my hard drive, so that why I still have it, it been on my Amigas Hard Drive for about 5 years...

Last edited by spannernick; 30 October 2021 at 17:03.
Old 30 October 2021, 16:06   #4
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Just extract the contents of rad.run to RAM and then you can edit the AGS stuff but iirc there is a problem with that version Scrolling limit to 30 games

Gary is a member here.

I take it Chaos Engine does work with SIMCD32?

I don't know why Another world doesn't work.

But once extract the lha you just replace games with versions that work with your system.

I've thought about doing for it for the Videos the menu plays but just that bug of 30game limit in that version of AGS.
I just use AGS 1.01 but no Videos ;(

Last edited by Retro1234; 30 October 2021 at 19:55.
Old 31 October 2021, 01:58   #5
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I just run in in simCD32 and it don't work in that too, I didn't check it before now....lol
it shows this on the shell screen...

Code:
devren: Unknown command
Can't cancel cd0
then the CD moves across the screen and blacks the screen and thats it. nothing.

Just tested Another World with simCD32 and that loads.

Anyway thanks for looking at it..

Here's a pic...

Last edited by spannernick; 31 October 2021 at 02:21.
Old 02 November 2021, 14:02   #6
spannernick
Retro Nuts

One thing I have noticed is the HDF files I made boot in WinUAE 2.3.3 OK and in RetroArch 1.7.0 P-UAE 2.8.1 OK but if I add them to the latest version of WinUAE, WinUAE 4.4.0 it comes up with No DOS on all the HDF Hard Disk files, has something in WinUAE changed for it to not be compatible with older HDF files, it must be the Partition on them thats causing it, I have tried the 32bit and 64bit versions of WinUAE and they both do the same thing...?
Old 02 November 2021, 14:23   #7
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Just extract the contents of rad.run to RAM and then you can edit the AGS stuff but iirc there is a problem with that version Scrolling limit to 30 games

Gary is a member here.

I take it Chaos Engine does work with SIMCD32?

I don't know why Another world doesn't work.

But once extract the lha you just replace games with versions that work with your system.

I've thought about doing for it for the Videos the menu plays but just that bug of 30game limit in that version of AGS.
I just use AGS 1.01 but no Videos ;(
Just uncompress start.iff, why .iff, it makes you think its a image file... when its not its start.lha, anyway I have uncompressed it now, so I should be able to keep it on the drive in a folder and run AGS from there....

Last edited by spannernick; 02 November 2021 at 15:06.
Old 02 November 2021, 16:30   #8
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Just realised if I uncompress it to a folder on the hard drive then it will not work cause it looking for files that are in the ram: drive so I had a idea, copy all content to a folder called start from start.iff then tell it to copy the files in that folder to the ram: drive, just tested it and it works.. , so now I can add games to the menu but I will need extra ram so it don't fill the ram drive up.. but 8 meg should be enough.
Old 02 November 2021, 23:22   #9
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I got Chaos Engine working with the latest version of WHDLoad but when the game runs it showing the WHDLoad startup splash window, is there a way of hiding it, I need the command if there is one that hides it...?

I replaced the Chaos Engine CD32 version with the ECS version, the intro has no sound and it didn't work anyway.

It takes about 22 seconds for it to copy the AGS files to ram then executing it form the ram drive and load the menu up on the screen... just need to fix Another World now..

Last edited by spannernick; 02 November 2021 at 23:35.
Old 03 November 2021, 00:16   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

That was it start.iff, good way to hide something

You can just use the normal version of AGS.
Old 03 November 2021, 01:04   #11
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Added Another World but now it having a problem with finding the kickstart,
Code:
DOS-Error #205
(Object not found)
on reading "devs:kickstarts/kick34005.a500".
All the kickstarts are in the devs folder...?

It dose say this in menu script
Code:
menu:assign devs: s:
It looks like it assigning it to the s folder, start folder..?

is that right?, maybe this would work...?
Code:
menu:assign devs: DH0:devs

Last edited by spannernick; 03 November 2021 at 17:25.
Old 03 November 2021, 17:26   #12
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I hate WHDLoad when it dose this and can not find the kickstart when its in the devs folder already, I must be missing something... ? ?

Code:
DOS-Error #205
(Object not found)
on reading "devs:kickstarts/kick34005.a500".
Does this mean its found the file and there something missing from it...?
Old 03 November 2021, 17:59   #13
spannernick
Retro Nuts

OK realised why the game did not load originally was cause of the LED command, it didn't understand it, so removed it from Another World start file and typed...

Code:
cd cd32:games/anotherworld
another
and now the game works..

Maybe the led command was for the CD drive on the CD32 to turn the LED off cause the command was led -off..

Code:
cd32:c/led -off >NIL:

Last edited by spannernick; 03 November 2021 at 19:54.
Old 05 November 2021, 17:21   #14
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Trying to now find where the animation on the screen starts so I can put in a option to start it or stop it in the menu, I do not want it playing automatically unless I turn it on.

Dose anyone know if theses lines in the menu script have anything to do with it...?

Code:
setenv IDLE=N
run >NIL: menu:random >env:RNDBCK 46
setenv RNDOLD 0
The animation is in a script file called doidle, where they are run from, its in the start.iff file.

I knocked out them lines and the animation is still running but its not random, it playing the same animation everytime I reboot WinUAE. so them lines are to make the animation random.

it looks like the animations runs as part of AGS so I need to look in a different script for it.

Looking at this CD and a lot of work went into making it, Hats of to Gary... Hippo Player is used for the Background music, I use to run this on my Amiga CD32 but then figured a way of running it on my A1700 via its iso file in its hard drive using simCD32, it ran better on that(can not run it on that no more, no fast ram no more, ram card died and can not afford to get a replacement for it, I have not used real hardware since like 2016 that when my ram card died, keeping the real hardware going is to expense now, I wish I could fix it, I would love it back, it needs a new membrane for the keyboard and a 8mb ram card), CDRs in the Amiga CD32 are not that great, they take a long time to load sometimes....

I released a beta version of Amiga Mode for PCUAE for THEC64 Mini/Maxi/THEVIC20, with this included, it a beta so not finished, I plain to add Classic Workbench too.. It will work on THEC64 Mini but it will have lag cause of its A20 SoC... its here if you have one of them machines... https://thec64community.online/threa...-fixed-version

Last edited by spannernick; 05 November 2021 at 17:59.
Old 05 November 2021, 19:52   #15
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Worked out that the screen saver animation and music is executed inside AGS arcadegameselector binary so all I need to do is to get it to rename the files its executing to stop it loading the animation, if it can 't file the doidle file that it can't run the screen saver.

This is from AGS file and you can see its executing stopanim and doidle.
Code:
 pic:PIC.menu " assign AGS: " execute stopanim execute stopanim execute stopanim ENV:RNDWAIT execute stopanim %ld  run execute doidle  .start" execute "AGS: execute stopanim .start" execute "AGS: .start" execute "AGS: .start" > AGS:.run type "AGS: Unknown exception: %08.8lx
doidle is the screen saver script and stopanim script stops it, the are Amiga shell scripts.

Last edited by spannernick; 08 November 2021 at 20:21.