English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 September 2016, 17:55   #21
andrewreader

Of me?

Photos were taken, but not by me.
Old 20 September 2016, 18:19   #22
zerohour1974

There is pics on the Facebook page (just Ask to join group)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/southwestamiga/
Old 29 November 2016, 18:47   #23
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Apologies for the delay. I've finally found time to knock up a review for SWAG meeting number 2...

SWAG Meet No. 2
Saturday 17th September 2016

Venue: The Makerspace, Swindon

Attendance: 11

Kit:

Amiga 1200 with Gotek drive / Network card
Windows PC running MAME
Amiga 500 with Gotek drive and 1942 monitor
Amiga 4000 030 and 1084ST monitor (not working - battery leakage and track erosion)
Laptop running WINAUE. Running Bomberman on the projector.
BBC Master 128
Amiga 1200
Amiga 600 with Vampire board
Amiga 600
Amiga 500 with 1084 monitor (expansion RAM ruined due to battery leakage)
Amiga One
Raspberry Pi running Amibian
Amiga CDTV

Following the success of the first SWAG meeting back in early May, which saw 12 Amiga fans get together for an afternoon of retro gaming, chat, and general tinkering, it was decided that a second session should be arranged for the 17th of September.

Our second meeting played host to a real selection of Amiga hardware meaning you weren't short of something to sit down in front of and try out.

The main feature for this month was “arcade conversions”. The Amiga plays host to some absolutely terrible conversions, but we were only interested in the cream of the crop.

An Amiga 500 equipped with Gotek was loaded up with a stack of arcade games, and alongside that we had a PC running MAME so we could compare the versions side by side. Some of the titles we played included Toki, Pang, Midnight Resistance, Buggy Boy, and Commando. The general consensus that afternoon was that Amiga really does have some great conversions!

One of our members spent the majority of the afternoon installing a Vampire expansion card on his A600, and experiencing varied success with it once it had been plugged in. The main issue seemed to be that the card and the TCP IP stack weren't totally happy together, and as such, the internet connection kept dropping on that machine

Elsewhere, and after a number of attempts to get Amibian up and running on a Raspberry Pi 3, and being unable to resolve issues with the screen resolution, we reverted to the trusty UAE for ARM installation for the remainder of the session. Perhaps Amibian is one we look at for a future meeting. It would be nice to get that running on a Pi 3.

On another desk, a dead Amiga 4000 was brought back to life. The leaking battery was removed and eroded tracks were cleaned. Prior to power-on, a small crowd circled the machine ready to see what would happen. The excitement on people’s faces when the machine loaded to Workbench was a real joy to see. The A4000 required further work, but this would need to be carried out after the session.

If you’ve read the kit list at the top of the report properly you’ll have noticed that we had one imposter machine in our midst in the form of a BBC Master 128. This wasn't an ordinary BBC Master, as it had 2GB of storage, 2 x battery backup carts and 4 different operating systems. This was brought along as a number of members wanted to see this up and running. We’ll likely bring one or two other platforms along to future meets, with the deal being if you bring another non-Amiga platform along you also have to bring an Amiga. Well, it IS an Amiga usergroup!

On another bank of desks, we were testing yet another Amiga set-up. The group had been kindly donated a full Amiga 500 desktop suite, complete with monitor and software. The hardware originally belonged to an Amigan who used his system for video editing. Unfortunately, he’d recently passed away, and one of his children wanted it to go to someone who would use it. We found one Amiga user who was keen to get back into the hobby, and who had the knowledge to bring it back up to fully working order. This went off with him and it’ll be coming back at the next meeting repaired and ready for use.

Towards the end of the session, talk drifted to the next meeting. After some discussion we’ve decided that the next meeting will be held at the Swindon Makerspace on Saturday 14th January. We’ll be meeting in the greasy spoon next door to the venue from 11am, and getting things underway from 12 noon. The first two meetings ran until 4:00pm. Due to a number of requests from those travelling from further afield, the January meeting will be the first that runs until 5:00pm!

If you'd like to attend the January meeting you can find more information on our web site at: http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk or via our Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/southwestamiga
Old 18 December 2016, 15:43   #24
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

South West Amiga Group Meeting No.3 - Sat 14th Jan 17

About

The South West Amiga Group (SWAG) originally formed in December 1997. They met once a month in Bristol to discuss their favourite computer. The group continued in various forms until 2005 when the group disbanded.

In 2016, riding the wave of renewed interest in the platform, the group has been resurrected, a new venue found and new events planned. Our first meeting was held in May this year, with a follow-up meeting held in September. Following the success of the first two sessions our first meeting of 2017 is now planned.

SWAG embrace both classic and next generation machines, including all Amiga OS variants, MorphOS and AROS. This includes physical, emulated and FPGA based platforms. All are welcome – but remember … Only Amiga Makes it Possible

Meeting Details

We’ve arranged to hold our third SWAG meeting in the recently opened Swindon Makerspace - http://www.swindon-makerspace.org/ - a fully refurbished building perfect for those wishing to tinker with new and old Amiga hardware and software.

The date of the third SWAG meeting is Saturday 14th January.

Although the meeting is due to begin at 12 noon, the pre-meet brunch has proved so popular at the first two meetings that it’s now part of the day itself.

11:00am - 12 noon - Brunch at the greasy spoon next door to the venue

12noon - 5:00pm - SWAG meeting at the Makerspace.

Those who attended the previous two meetings will notice the revised end time. Due to requests from attendees our meeting has been extended by an hour.

The Swindon Makerspace can be found at Unit 34, BSS House, Cheyney Manor, Swindon

There is free parking on site, while the venue offers free Wifi plus tea and coffee making facilities.

Meeting Content – Amiga Vs The 8 Bit Systems

The Amiga played host to numerous titles which were also released on many of the 8-bit systems of the time.

Did the power of the Commodore’s all-singing all-dancing machine mean the games released on there were better than the same title released on the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad? We find out as we’ll be bringing along these platforms and putting them against the Amiga in a head-to-head.

We’ll also be demoing Pinball Dreams for the Amstrad and Defender of the Crown for the Spectrum - two recent releases for their respective systems. How will these compare to the Amiga versions?

Meeting Content – 5-Player Dynablaster Bomberman

With Dynablaster proving so popular at the previous two meets we’ll be wheeling it out again for more multiplayer bombing action.

Meeting Content - Enemy 2 Collector's Edition!

With the recently released Enemy 2 Collector's Edition now in the hands of Amiga owners, we'll be showing off the game and complete boxed package at the January meeting.

Check out further info here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85050

Meeting Content - MAS Player Demo

The MAS Player is an affordable "dongle" which plugs into yoru parallel port, allowing realtime MP3 decoding/playing on the fly. See this device in action!

For Further Information

If you’d like more information then please visit the official SWAG web site at http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk

You can also find us on:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/southwestamiga
Twitter - https://twitter.com/southwestamiga

And Finally

If you are planning on coming, please drop us an email to let us know. We need to get a rough idea of how many people to expect Also, if you’re planning on bringing any hardware (computers, screens etc.) then please detail that in your email.

SWAG can be contacted at: swag@southwestamiga.org.uk

Last edited by roberthazelby; 29 December 2016 at 15:18. Reason: Added Enemy 2 and MAS Player info
Old 20 December 2016, 14:14   #25
andrewreader

Fantastic news. I'm so pleased you're keeping the momentum going.

I'll be there with my trusty Amiga 1200.
Old 29 December 2016, 15:08   #26
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Initial post updated to include MAS Player and Enemy 2 demos at the January meet.
Old 11 January 2017, 08:36   #27
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

There's a possibility that Starquake Amiga version may be seeing its release at the meet!
Old 15 January 2017, 20:09   #28
andrewreader

Another fantastic meet. Well done gents.

I loved chatting about the Vampire 2, the Amiga 1200 tower with MAS MP3 and Indivision AGA 1200 MK2, watching capacitor replacements on a CD32 board, breakfast and hanging out for the day with Amiga enthusiasts.

And Galahad used my Amiga 1200.. What an honour!
Old 29 January 2017, 23:00   #29
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I thought you may be interested in reading about what we got up to at the recent SWAG meet.

Many thanks to Stuart Williams for posting this on his blog:

https://retrocomputingnews.com/2017/...h-to-strength/
Old 30 January 2017, 12:28   #30
andrewreader

Great writeup. Thanks for the link.
Old 22 May 2017, 23:48   #31
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

South West Amiga Group Meeting No.4 - Sat 10th June '17

About

The South West Amiga Group (SWAG) originally formed in December 1997. They met once a month in Bristol to discuss their favourite computer. The group continued in various forms until 2005 when the group disbanded.

In 2016, riding the wave of renewed interest in the platform, the group has been resurrected, a new venue found and new events planned. Our first meeting was held in May last year, with a follow-up meeting held in September and another in January 2017. Following the success of the first three sessions, our next meeting is now planned.

SWAG embrace both classic and next generation machines, including all Amiga OS variants, MorphOS and AROS. This includes physical, emulated and FPGA based platforms. All are welcome – but remember … Only Amiga Makes it Possible

Meeting Details

We’ve arranged to hold our fourth SWAG meeting in the recently opened Swindon Makerspace - http://www.swindon-makerspace.org/ - a fully refurbished building perfect for those wishing to tinker with new and old Amiga hardware and software.

The date of the fourth SWAG meeting is Saturday 10th June.

Although the meeting is due to begin at 12 noon, the pre-meet brunch has proved so popular at the first two meetings that it’s now part of the day itself.

11:00am - 12 noon - Brunch at the greasy spoon next door to the venue

12noon - 5:00pm - SWAG meeting at the Makerspace.

Following the success of the extended meeting session for meeting number three, the 5:00pm finish time remains.

Cost - The costs of room hire for the first three meetings were paid for by a number of organisers. Obviously, this can't continue indefinitely, so for this meeting onwards the costs are £4 for adults. Under 18s are free. All room hire costs go back into the running and improvement of the venue.

The Swindon Makerspace can be found at Unit 34, BSS House, Cheyney Manor, Swindon

There is free parking on site, while the venue offers free Wifi plus tea and coffee making facilities.

Meeting Content - Amiga X5000 Demo

One of our members has been lucky enough to add a brand spanking new Amiga X5000 to his collection, and will be bringing it along to the meeting. If you wanted to see the fastest Amiga ever built now's your chance!

Meeting Content - 5-Player Dynablaster Bomberman

With Dynablaster proving so popular at the last three meets we’ll be wheeling it out again for more multiplayer bombing action.

Meeting Content - Link up Action

A number of Amiga titles gave you the option of hooking up multiple Amigas together. Try your hand at Vs Stunt Car Racer, Lotus and more!

For Further Information

If you’d like more information then please visit the official SWAG web site at http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk

You can also find us on:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/southwestamiga
Twitter - https://twitter.com/southwestamiga

And Finally

If you are planning on coming, please drop us an email to let us know. We need to get a rough idea of how many people to expect Also, if you’re planning on bringing any hardware (computers, screens etc.) then please detail that in your email.

SWAG can be contacted at: swag@southwestamiga.org.uk

Last edited by roberthazelby; 23 May 2017 at 07:52. Reason: Changed a mention from third meeting to fourth
Old 31 May 2017, 18:31   #32
fstltna
Indie Game Dev

Send a message via AIM to fstltna Send a message via Yahoo to fstltna
Thanks for posting - listed on amiga city too...
Old 01 June 2017, 16:20   #33
aszu

a bit too far away for me, but one day i might be able to come down btw, if u're interested i might have sth for you to have a look at
Old 01 June 2017, 21:29   #34
andrewreader

I'll be there! I've sent my email to Rob.

It 's always a great occasion and always over too quickly.
Old 04 June 2017, 08:47   #35
E-Penguin
Banana

Genuinely the most exciting thing to happen in Swindon this year.

If I'm ever in Blighty at the same time as one of the meetings I'll pop in.
Old 06 June 2017, 14:31   #36
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Just a quick reminder that the meet is this coming Saturday.

We meet in the greasy spoon next door to the venue from 11am.
Old 07 June 2017, 14:11   #37
andrewreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Genuinely the most exciting thing to happen in Swindon this year.

If I'm ever in Blighty at the same time as one of the meetings I'll pop in.
Agreed. A close second would be the multi million pound alleviation road that doesn't alleviate at Bruce Street Bridges.
Old 08 June 2017, 09:33   #38
E-Penguin
Banana

Should have built that canal through the centre of town. Can't get much more vintage hardware than a canal.
Old 11 June 2017, 21:01   #39
andrewreader

Another 'South West Amiga Group' meet came and went.

It was another enjoyable get together of showcasing, problem solving, breakfast eating and Amiga solidarity.

4 player Dynablaster was popular.

The Stunt Car Racer Amiga Null Modem Link up was a success.

I took a pasting in TV Sports Football.

My favourite was the mint black A1200 with integrated LCD display for the USB drive selector, USB ports, SCSI hard drive and a PICO (I think) PSU.

No one there will judge you for your undying passion for a 16 bit or 32 bit (or 8 bit for that matter) Commodore gaming machine.
Old 12 June 2017, 22:32   #40
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I'll get a "proper" write-up put together in the next week or so.

In the meantime, I just wanted to thank everyone who came. We had a fantastic time gaming, tinkering and hardware fixing.

The food in the greasy spoon had even improved a little!