English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 September 2022, 00:19   #1
Photon

Mobile Amiga emulation in 2022? :D

I haven't kept current and thought I'd play around with it with one of those Nintendo Switch style clamp-on controllers.

Last time I emulated Amiga on handheld it was on the GP2X, so assume that all I know is to put "UAE" in the search for apps and nothing beyond that.

I have ROMs (and also games, called ROMs by some), and I can certainly install WB+WHDLoad+WHD games. Now what?

I saw some American video but it gave me horror chills along the spine to cover the screen with touch controls. (Same for mobile games which I mostly don't play except some simple ones.)

So
  1. Hit me with some good Amiga emulators
  2. How to transfer and load stuff
  3. And move the mouse/joystick?
  4. And execute stuff in shell will probably be needed so keyboard input there, in-game could be optional

Cheers
Old 25 September 2022, 01:28   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Retroarch is probably all you need.

I use it on my Android phone and tablet, and its awesome.
Old 25 September 2022, 03:02   #3
Pyromania

What’s the best mobile way to emulate an AGA Amiga? It won’t be an X5000 even though that machine is nice. I’m talking emulating using mobile hardware and software.
Old 25 September 2022, 04:06   #4
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
What’s the best mobile way to emulate an AGA Amiga? It won’t be an X5000 even though that machine is nice. I’m talking emulating using mobile hardware and software.
Anything capable of running WinUAE or FS-UAE, not a fan of the other ports as they tend to have missing features that makes things annoying or at least restrictive.

By "Mobile", i take it you mean screen and all? or just portable/small? for Mobility/Portability i use the Pi400 with a portable usb powered monitor, tried the phone solutions and i dont really like any of them these days, they dont seem to be catching up to the big 2 desktop versions.

Now ofc i have the Steam Deck and thats basically now my go-to king of mobility. Heres a brief vid of me just getting myself setup with FS-UAE, still need to tweak some visuals and other stuff so i can actually see stuff with my crappy eyesight on the smaller screen, but its working fine so far esp with a handy portable kb/mouse around.

Failing that, at a guess, perhaps a x86 based cheapo tablet? I tried one... once, many years ago and it was pretty crap but perhaps theres better/cheaper alternatives these days.

Quick vid of my current work in progress mobile solution via Steam Deck.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 September 2022, 10:43   #5
stobros

Perhaps you might wish to give a try to Recalbox. I use it on almost everywhere.
Old 26 September 2022, 15:01   #6
Photon

Cheers @Galahad, @Pyromania, don't hijack my thread pls!

I guess I want an emu that enumerates HID/BT input devices. Maybe not necessary for a keyboard, but I'm not sure all apps know to hide the on-screen keyboard if a physical keyboard is connected.

So. Y'all use OSD controls to play games then? This is what I'd like to avoid.

I've ordered a Razer Kishi V2 since it's universal and HID-compliant. My old phone will be tested after being put on the operating table to replace the battery (by someone else, I couldn't bear to watch!), and if all works but I get frame skips I guess it's time to get a new phone.

Last edited by Photon; 26 September 2022 at 15:08.
Old 29 September 2022, 13:11   #7
Photon

My old phone can handle Amiga emulation great

However I will need to root and install Lineage to upgrade it to Android 9. This is required by Kishi V2 which is nice otherwise, apart from your thumb hitting right analog stick if you press A. It's a bit weird with the D-pad and buttons put in diagonally opposite corner.

I can return this and get a different controller ofc.

Also thinking about buying a new phone anyway, if the general use stuff is not fast after I swap battery.