English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 October 2015, 01:53   #1
ransom1122

What game do you keep coming back to and why?

We all have our favorite Amiga games like Turrican, Lotus, Beast etc. Also have mediocre favorite games like Super Hang-On, Nitro, Toki, etc etc.

Like the subject says What game do you keep coming back to after all these years and why? Is it Turrican or Xenon 2 for it's music? Is it Super Hang-On to get that really long stretch of nitrous? Is it a hard game like Cybernoid or Project X that you always wanted to beat? Is it Another World for its uniqueness? Is it Pinball Dreams for a genre change? Is it all off the above simply to relax and relive the memories?

Share your thoughts as What you come back to and why might inspire others to do the same thing.
Old 20 October 2015, 02:04   #2
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Dungeon Master (meynaf's custom dungeons and Chaos Strikes Back). Awesome game (no nostalgia) that I always come back to.
Old 20 October 2015, 02:17   #3
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Dungeon Master (meynaf's custom dungeons and Chaos Strikes Back). Awesome game (no nostalgia) that I always come back to.
Same here, for me this game is a masterpiece of clever level design and (almost) perfect UI.
I try to keep the plays spaced enough that I forget some of the puzzles and levels but alas with every play I remember more and more.

Turrican II is the action game I come back to but alas some of the levels are tedious toward the end so I do not play it as often as I could. I wish I could save the game state while playing on a real A500, that would allow me to finish it in multiple sessions.
Old 20 October 2015, 08:22   #4
vulture

Too many games....let's see, off the top of my head: SWOS, Turrican 2, Gods, Speedball 2, Slamtilt, Midnight Resistance, Shadow Fighter, Super Street Fighter 2, Toki, Lotus 3, R-Type 2, Legends and, really, that's not even half of them.
Old 20 October 2015, 08:55   #5
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Too many games....let's see, off the top of my head: SWOS, Turrican 2, Gods, Speedball 2, Slamtilt, Midnight Resistance, Shadow Fighter, Super Street Fighter 2, Toki, Lotus 3, R-Type 2, Legends and, really, that's not even half of them.
Any Why? is the key to this topic
Old 20 October 2015, 09:11   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
All my favourites, of course. Thats why they are favourites.

To name few, in alphabetical order:
Alien Fish Finger 1.31 - great atmosphere, challenging achievements and trophys
Bubble Bobble - pure fun
Deliverance - great enemies, great title tune
Dune II - cuteness, a lot of random hilarious moments
Gods - weapons, level design, animations
Golden Axe - quick short game, great music
Hired guns - best game ever, large levels, many puzzles, coop
Jaguar XJ220 - racing with strategy elements, nice engine sound, many recognizable cars and even their pilots, better than Lotus
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 - speed, graphics, music
Myth: history in the making - a lot of original themes, atmospheric sound
Nuclear War - those faces and their quotes
Paradroid 90 - technological gem
Parasol stars - fruity
Rodland - two players mode
Ruff n Tumble - gun and run, probably best of its genre, great audiovisuals
Slamtilt - challenging subgames
Snow bros - easy to complete, quick gameplay
Turrican - music, iceblocks tower level
Turrican II: The final fight - music, secrets, leveldesign
Uridium 2 - mayhem mode, another technological gem from Andrew Braybrook
Wiz n Liz - nasty two player competition, ubelievably fast
Zeewolf 2: Wild justice - tasks variety, good music, political background of the story

Beside these, there are plentys of games that I liked and enjoyed, but their replay value is low. Especially adventures, that I can replay many years later after I already FORGOT how to solve them. Thats the basic condition.
Old 20 October 2015, 10:30   #7
Cpt. Hindsight

Cannon Fodder - I restart this game about once a year and still didn't manage to finish it. Stupid as I am, I don't want to continue on level 6 or 7 after a year, so I try it again and again ... ∞
Old 20 October 2015, 11:01   #8
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Any Why? is the key to this topic
Oh, yup, missed that.

Addictive gameplay and gfx style along with fitting sound. It's just the feeling of it. I mean, I've beat all those games to death and keep coming back, there's certainly an addiction going on here.
Old 20 October 2015, 11:51   #9
Dunny

I usually game on the Pandora, where I have a copy of Mame4All - and it's pretty much permanently set on New Zealand Story. It was my favourite Amiga game, but having played the Arcade I can't play the miggy version now. It's sublime, and I play it regularly.

D.
Old 20 October 2015, 12:18   #10
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Pang – I still prefer this over the arcade version – not sure why?
North & South – I love firing this up as it brings back lots of memories of playing it as a kid
Moonstone – Classic gore fest that even with all it’s bugs is still a great game
Stunt Car racer – original 3d racer
Battle Chess – makes chess more exciting (?) and has some of the best sprite animation from back in the day

These are games I just never get bored with and I regularly dip into playing (obviously there are many, many more).
Old 20 October 2015, 12:21   #11
zipper

Shogo - after years I came back to finally finish the game.
Old 20 October 2015, 12:35   #12
Twiggy
\m/

SWOS - Because it is a classic game, either single player or playing little tournaments with as many people as you can rope into it.

Lionheart - Beautiful game that is really playable. I manage to get a little bit better each time.

Lotus II/III - Classic racing game. Usually an easy game to fire up and have a quick blast with. That or Stunt Car Racer or Micro Machines.

Captain Planet - Nostalgia, not much else!

Zool - Nostalgia and the fact it's a perfectly playable game. Something a bit more mindless than Lionheart or Ruff N Tumble.

Hunter - Worth firing up to attempt a mission or two.

Dune II - Fantastic RTS. It something I can play while doing something else. Similar with Populous.

Agony - Nostalgia. As well as similar reasons to Lionheart. Beautiful game that I very slowly get better at.

They have been the games I've been going back to again and again in recent years anyhow.
Old 20 October 2015, 13:04   #13
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
Pang – I still prefer this over the arcade version – not sure why?
Probably because it's better (which is exceedingly rare).
Old 20 October 2015, 13:07   #14
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

the original Sim City, surprisingly
Old 20 October 2015, 13:19   #15
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Probably because it's better (which is exceedingly rare).
Yeah the music is better for sure on the Amiga and I also just preferred the sprites. I think for me it was because I played the Amiga game first (and the most) and the arcade later so I just became used to the Amiga version. I used to be able to complete the game in the arcade I think with 20p (so x2 credits) as I remember people used to stand round and watch.

I still remember now when Pang first came out on the Amiga and being round a mates house and being wowed with how good it looked and played.

Rodland was another Amiga game I loved that had a great conversion - not quite as good as Pang though.
Old 20 October 2015, 13:29   #16
Bastich

I always seem to come back and play Canon Fodder as its just plain simple fun.
Turrican gets a good few plays as I like some old school mayhem. I can virtually always finish it which is great. The challenge being how many lives it can be finished with
Laser Squad is another favourite. The Assassins level is funny as you can almost level the map using rocket launchers (shame the ai locks up sometimes).
Oh and Moonstone for some multiplayer hack and slash.
To many great games. I will stop there otherwise this could end up being a very long post
Old 20 October 2015, 13:38   #17
cry

Settlers, because I love having a massive kingdom with everything flowing nicely before going on a rampage with my knights and stomping the enemy. There's something kinda relaxing about watching all those little dudes go about their lives. I always get stuck on the map with one gold mine that the two other opponents start right next too tho, so I give up at that point until a few years pass and I forget about that map.
Old 20 October 2015, 13:46   #18
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Deluxe Galaga
Old 20 October 2015, 14:53   #19
Gzegzolka

Too much to list every game, but I will try to start with Amiga and few other systems:

Ruff'n'Tumble - because it's fun, fast and sometimes got lot of action on screen when You run with laser gun and bad robots spawn everywhere just to be destroyed in seconds and turn into more power ups for me, and music also pump that action well.

Black Viper - nice story, game use cd32 pad well, also shooting opponents is what I want in Lotus, also I like those giant post-apocalyptic backgrounds, also You can have both music and sfx (take that Lotus).

Slam Tilt - because everything, fast awesome graphics, perfect music, animations, mini-games, game is great stress solution (only Pinball Illusion trilogy can rival with it).

Agony - for art style, while it's just average shmup I like watching backgrounds.

Disposable Hero - I like cd32 soundtrack and testing different weapons setting, also game got lot of nice well animated small details.

Banshee - for all that gore kills You can do on soldiers

Kid Chaos - I like playing only first level, it's fast, got nice background with many layers, You just run forward and fell joy.

Fightin'Spitit and Elfmania - even if I'm not good at those type of games, I like them much, even if I lose I have great time with them, it's because audio visual experience or just because those games are fun to play.

Super Methane Bros - fun "little" arcade game, better than Fuzzball and Naughty Ones

Lionheart - I like watching intro and playing first swam level and lava lake level just for fun

Fire and Ice on Cd32 - I like underwater level it makes me very relaxed so I play it in practice mode
Old 20 October 2015, 14:58   #20
Bastich

+1 for Settlers and Deluxe Galaga. Spent far to much time playing them