English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 October 2021, 10:57   #41
Turran

First time I saw the juggler demo at a friends house, I scrapped my old C64 and moved to Amiga.

Likewise, when I played Castle Wolfenstein on a 386/25mhz, I scrapped my Amiga for PC =)
Old 04 October 2021, 10:59   #42
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Nobody has a video of F/A 18 interceptor humming noise in the title screen on the unexpanded A500?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 October 2021, 17:12   #43
leeg

Literally the whole Amiga thing. I was on a Dragon 32 until then, I was out for the day and my Dad mentioned that he'd bought a new computer and it was an Amiga 600. Imagine being used to eight colour lo-res, two colour "hi" res graphics and seeing that animated Kickstart 2 loading screen.
Old 08 October 2021, 07:39   #44
DurpHead420

Kings Quest always interested me, even to this day i still think about KQIII ,sneaking down to the treehouse etc, at the time i had only really played NES and Master system, they felt like these huge grand high adventures , brutally hard without guides.

We used to have Amiga 500's at our schools growing up , there was this major nerd gatekeeper type guy (he's the one who would hook us all up with pirate discs for a small fee of coarse), he would make us leave the room to read guides (we had no clue back then) and showed us the endings , we thought he was a God lol

Also Hybris has a special place with me, me and my mates would played for ages before discovering how to powerup , epic music in that game.
Old 08 October 2021, 12:15   #45
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurpHead420 View Post
Kings Quest always interested me, even to this day i still think about KQIII ,sneaking down to the treehouse etc, at the time i had only really played NES and Master system, they felt like these huge grand high adventures , brutally hard without guides.
I hear you, King's Quest 3 (and Larry, and Police Quest, and Space Quest) I saw for the first time at a friend's house and they were games unlike all others I had seen until that point. Death around every corner, you had to type commands, it really felt like games for adults and I didn't know how quickly I wanted to have them for the Amiga

The games may have looked and sound like garbage, but they made an impact on me as a kid.
Old 09 October 2021, 07:40   #46
DurpHead420

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I hear you, King's Quest 3 (and Larry, and Police Quest, and Space Quest) I saw for the first time at a friend's house and they were games unlike all others I had seen until that point. Death around every corner, you had to type commands, it really felt like games for adults and I didn't know how quickly I wanted to have them for the Amiga

The games may have looked and sound like garbage, but they made an impact on me as a kid.
Definitely, im still surprised how far i got back then without guides on these games, definitely gave me the skills to help me beat games like Myst later on , KQ3 with its magic mixing , its just insanely difficult.

I forgot to mention Defender of the Crown also , great strat game , really blew me away!
Old 09 October 2021, 15:46   #47
jcgeuze

spaceballs demo : [ Show youtube player ], and odyssey : [ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 November 2021, 02:58   #48
Nishicorn

Well, I didn't use such crude expressions, but for me, a WOW-moment was when I first saw Amiga 500 at my friend's place, and he had games like Winter Games (the ONLY good Epyx game port) and F/A-18 Interceptor.

Both games had BRIGHT YELLOW - the kind I had never, ever seen before! It was only then that I realized my C64's yellow wasn't exactly as yellow as it could have been. It was so bright and nice, I was mesmerized almost as much as when the bright, straight vector lines of Asteroids Deluxe (the Arcade cabinet version in early eighties) flashed into my view - both times, I gasped and just admired the brightness and beautiful glory of wonderful light hitting my eyes.

Amiga didn't really have that many impressive games per se - but some of the game intros were impressive, like the Amegas one with the Ultima's cover hooded figures. Hearing Axel Foley coming from the Amiga was also pretty impressive back in the day. Seeing digitized pictures, especially HAM mode, really 'blew my socks off' figuratively speaking.

Of course F/A-18 Interceptor's massive sound also impressed me; never heard anything like that on the C64 before.

Virus was mighty impressive back in the day as well, almost impossible to play until you practice for hours first.
Old 11 November 2021, 15:06   #49
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
Amiga didn't really have that many impressive games per se
Didn't stop my PC owning friends to be mesmerised by them
Old 12 November 2021, 04:14   #50
Pyromania

Intro to Amiga Basic, this can’t be real!
Old 16 November 2021, 11:50   #51
Alexco

Every time I saw a great demo on my own A500, like Cebit 90 by Red Sector, Razor's Voyage or Hardwired by Silents&Crionics...
Old 16 November 2021, 19:46   #52
Muadebe

On the Amiga it was Elite II - playing it and thinking anything could happen. The feeling of open world exploration.
Old 17 November 2021, 19:14   #53
PDrill

When I got the 1541 and started loading Spy Hunter (came bundled) the red led flashed the whole time and I knew it meant an error. What I didn't know at that time was that turbo loaders made all kinds of things..
Old 17 November 2021, 19:59   #54
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Seeing (and hearing) Rick Dangerous after playing the ZX Spectrum and PC CGA versions first.
Old 28 November 2021, 18:49   #55
AmigaCD32

I'm with CodyJarrett on this one.

I remember being in school (so I was about 14)and my friend saying his parents bought him a commodore Amiga and I had to see it. So when it was lunchtime we went over to his house as he lived near the school.

The Beast 2 intro seemed like I was watching a film, and I kind of freaked out. It certainly left a mark on me because for days I had it running through my mind along with the amazing art and music.

Back then, I had a ZX Spectrum, so this was a massive jump and I used to look forward on a Friday to stay over his house for the weekend and see just what this wonder machine could do.
Old 28 November 2021, 19:24   #56
Vstech

I remember back in 80ish..., I was reading about a new startup company that had a computer build that would play commodore programs, ZX programs, apple II games, and TRS 80 programms... it was called amiga computer and I WANTED ONE!!!

just imagine at the time... one computer that would run ANY program for any computer?
Old 30 November 2021, 02:25   #57
PatmanQC

The first time I saw dragons lair
not long after I saw sword of soDan running at electronics boutique. I was blown away by the music people were asking where the boombox was because he couldn't believe it was coming from the computer
Old 30 November 2021, 16:10   #58
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

True enough, a native Amiga without any extra help from sound hardware did sound pretty fantastic. Sound in those days really wasn't a thing in computing all that much so it was pretty stunning to experience for the first time.

I think the first game that I experienced sonically (because all we had were some simple PD games with little sound and music) was Turbo Outrun. I mean could be worse, could be a whole lot better but we (my parents, my brother, me) were all standing around the computer going "wow..."
Old 02 January 2022, 17:32   #59
Styrbjorn

I know that was pretty impressed by Hunter when it released.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 January 2022, 21:00   #60
aNdy/AL/COS

Seeing a A1000 in the window of my local independent computer shop running the juggler demo and then another A1000 on the counter inside running Defender of the Crown.

Mind blown at the tail end of 1986ish.