English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 September 2021, 23:37   #261
Falcon_11

Today you created 2 new versions, awesome
Old 22 September 2021, 21:45   #262
javierdlr

Hi, just tested under AmigaOS4 and works flawlessly!!! :-)

http://jabirulo.byethost13.com/temp/imp3/sgrab003.png

BYW: just joned EAB afeter being a (peep)viewer since looong time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sgrab003.png
Views:	226
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	73293  
Old 23 September 2021, 06:09   #263
juen

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierdlr View Post

http://jabirulo.byethost13.com/temp/imp3/sgrab003.png

BYW: just joned EAB afeter being a (peep)viewer since looong time.
thanx! this is awesome news, and great one screenshot nice to see imp on aos4
Old 23 September 2021, 07:32   #264
TuKo
Apollo Team

Great work on imp3, I'm loving it Need to get used to it.

Will imp2 continue to work alongside imp3 ?
Old 23 September 2021, 08:26   #265
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
Great work on imp3, I'm loving it Need to get used to it.

Will imp2 continue to work alongside imp3 ?
Imp2 was never officially released, Imp1 was.
Old 23 September 2021, 22:16   #266
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Wish I could say the same.

A1200 with WB3.0 and Blizzard 1230-IV:-

- Hundreds of Enforcer hits at startup. I would find where in the program it is reading low memory, but I can't because the executable is crunched.

- Tracker display is very jerky (network task has priority?). Painful to watch. Can't find an option to turn it off.

- After playing a few mods It crashed spectacularly as it overwrote all the screen memory (but the song kept playing!).

@juen - If you want help with debugging then supply the executable uncrunched. Otherwise I will avoid it until you produce a more stable version. Please use something to monitor illegal low memory accesses during development - preferably an MMU based tool like The Enforcer that catches reads as well as writes.
Old 23 September 2021, 22:41   #267
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Strange. I also run it on A1200 with Blizzard 1230-IV, but in my case KS/WB3.2. No problems with IMP so far.
Old 23 September 2021, 22:57   #268
javierdlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post

- Hundreds of Enforcer hits at startup. I would find where in the program it is reading low memory, but I can't because the executable is crunched.
You can decrunch it by using xfdDecrunch (with xfd lib) on AMINET http://aminet.net/package/util/pack/xfdmaster
Old 23 September 2021, 23:01   #269
javierdlr

If i try to get version string with C:Version (after imp3 decrunched/unpacked) I get:
#version KDH1:MUSICA/imp3 file full
AHX-BinaryPlayer_2.3d-sp3 (Dec 98
)
Old 24 September 2021, 04:51   #270
juen

Quote:
If i try to get version string with C:Version (after imp3 decrunched/unpacked) I get:
#version KDH1:MUSICA/imp3 file full
AHX-BinaryPlayer_2.3d-sp3 (Dec 98
)
because it does not contain this data ($VER), it would only take up unnecessary space since the program is packed. unpacking does not make sense because the update will overwrite it anyway.
Old 24 September 2021, 04:58   #271
juen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post

- Tracker display is very jerky (network task has priority?). Painful to watch. Can't find an option to turn it off.

- After playing a few mods It crashed spectacularly as it overwrote all the screen memory (but the song kept playing!).

@juen - If you want help with debugging then supply the executable uncrunched. Otherwise I will avoid it until you produce a more stable version. Please use something to monitor illegal low memory accesses during development - preferably an MMU based tool like The Enforcer that catches reads as well as writes.
"Tracker display is very jerky" - can you be more accurate? does anybody still have such feelings of you?

program was tested on mc68000 and it is working, but this is not a typical amiga setup with internet so this is what it is. i don't have any big (or any medium) issues on my amiga which I use every day (a4k/060, a1200 vampire, a500 with aca500+ and aca030). can you give more details about your configuration? especially the system and patches?

the program is still under development. Thanks to the tests of users who use it every day, subsequent errors disappear from it almost every day. I'm not forcing anyone to use it, but thank you for doing it

during the tests I will be grateful for writing in the first place directly on imp, that's where we can easily share any irregularities
Old 24 September 2021, 05:04   #272
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by juen View Post
unpacking does not make sense because the update will overwrite it anyway.
Getting confused now. I downloaded V3.28 from Aminet - is this not not the latest full version? Or does it automatically update itself via the Internet?

Either way it's buggy. Please review your code to make sure all possible null pointers are detected and handled gracefully.
Old 24 September 2021, 05:33   #273
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by juen View Post
"Tracker display is very jerky" - can you be more accurate? does anybody still have such feelings of you?
Instead of running continuously it displays the notes for about a second, then pauses for a bit - seems to coincide with network activity (LED on my CNET card's dongle). Perhaps this has something to do with my TCP/IP stack (Roadshow) which might be stealing CPU time from your program. I don't need the note display so if you could provide an option to turn it off that would be fine.

Quote:
the program is still under development. Thanks to the tests of users who use it every day, subsequent errors disappear from it almost every day. I'm not forcing anyone to use it, but thank you for doing it
I appreciate that and the work you have put into it. Sorry if it sounds like I am complaining, but I have a low tolerance for buggy software on the Amiga. We don't have memory protection in the OS so serious bugs tend to slip through unnoticed - destabilizing the system and giving our platform a bad name. As developers we need to avoid sloppy programming that justifies attacking us for using such 'outdated' hardware with 'insecure' OS.

BTW if you have any issues with software I wrote please don't hesitate to tell me about it!

Quote:
during the tests I will be grateful for writing in the first place directly on imp, that's where we can easily share any irregularities
You mean in the chat window? I don't feel happy with that but if you insist...
Old 24 September 2021, 06:05   #274
juen

roadshow is well tested, same as miami and amitcp.

also almost all network cards was tested on any amiga (even weirdest ones). so this is why i need more detailed config

scope/patternscope will be never disabled from main screen (but it is disabled in minify mode)

edit: program is self updating, please check whole thread

Last edited by juen; 24 September 2021 at 06:10.
Old 24 September 2021, 07:05   #275
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Bruce, the problem seems to be in your config. We are quite a community around Imp with various setups (even OSs) and nobody encountered problems you describe yet. Have you tried Imp in WinUAE with similar configuration?
Old 24 September 2021, 09:29   #276
Shaytan

Hi juen,

I've been using imp since the early versions and I really like the original concept around it, although IMHO the disk function is a bit confusing and overpacked... but that's just me, I'm a big "less is more" fan

Anyway, I have a couple of requests/suggestions: is it possible to add a file requester to load a module or a directory from your own collection (like a standard module player)?
Can the songs in the tops section being reproduced as a playlist (in order of appearance) and not randomly?

Thanks for your work!
Old 24 September 2021, 09:49   #277
tomcat666
Retro Freak

A "local directory" option would rock... play random module in a local directory
I know we have Hippo, Deli, Quadra, etc. players already, but IMP3 is really great...
Old 24 September 2021, 10:54   #278
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaytan View Post
I'm a big "less is more" fan
So am I, keep it light and Amiga oriented. I will probably never use latest 3rd platforms emulator functions, I welcome built in launcher for Amiga games / demos / apps though.

Shaytan and tomcat666: local directory could easily be remote directory.

Beside suggested functions I would welcome random playlist for my own mods uploaded to my personal FTP. I created (public) collection of around 300 modules in my STASH for anyone with access to download, but if they could been played from IMP, it would be exellent.
Old 24 September 2021, 11:56   #279
juen

function for the play from stash will be added

emulators are downloaded when is need for that so imp3 can be still very light. so all "nonsense" options are not so nonsense :P
Old 25 September 2021, 07:50   #280
juen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Bruce, the problem seems to be in your config. We are quite a community around Imp with various setups (even OSs) and nobody encountered problems you describe yet. Have you tried Imp in WinUAE with similar configuration?
I am trying to get this enforcer hits, but after command:
enforcer STDIO

and running imp3 I got nothing ( or )

after launching lawbreaker i got mass of differents errors so enforcer is working

now I am really thinking that it is problem with Bruce setup/config/patches/hardware?

Last edited by juen; 25 September 2021 at 07:59.