English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 13 August 2022, 18:46   #1
gumorr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6
Issues with modified PC drive

I'm having weird issues with a PC drive that I modified to work with my amiga. It's perfectly able to read from floppy disks, but it seems to be unable to write to disks.
I copied the same ADF file to two separate floppies, and then read them back, and they seem to have random sectors that weren't being written to at all. I know these disks work; I was able to write to them with a genuine amiga drive a while ago.
If anyone has any idea of what's going on, and if it's possible to repair the drive or if I should get another, it would be appreciated.

(For reference, the drive is an NEC FD1231H)
gumorr is offline  
Old 17 August 2022, 07:26   #2
bibitvi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Levice, Slovakia
Posts: 3
are you using HD disks? I recall to have the same issue more or less. If so, try to blank off the HD detection hole on them with a tape or ground the HD detection signal in the drive.
bibitvi is offline  
Old 17 August 2022, 10:00   #3
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 9,283
Some drives will no longer detect disk changes if you bypass the HD switch with a wire, so make sure to test that this still works.
Jope is offline  
Old 20 August 2022, 21:36   #4
gumorr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibitvi View Post
are you using HD disks? I recall to have the same issue more or less. If so, try to blank off the HD detection hole on them with a tape or ground the HD detection signal in the drive.
I am using HD disks, but I've covered the detection hole. Still no dice.

Looking at the ADF of one of the written disk images shows that it does write some of the sectors correctly, it just seems to fill random sectors with 0s. It seems to be more frequent in the first half of the disk image for some reason.
gumorr is offline  
Old 22 August 2022, 08:20   #5
bibitvi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Levice, Slovakia
Posts: 3
Mine was behaving same way if memory serves correctly. Maybe the switch isn´t working properly? Try a drop of contact cleaner on the all the switches, press them a few times to spread it thorougly and check with multimeter that it functions. Also you can try some other drive to double check it´s the drive and not the amiga.
bibitvi is offline  
Old 22 August 2022, 16:20   #6
Snoopy1234
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
a note that modified PC drives won't load trackloader based games properly 100% of the time.
Snoopy1234 is online now  
Old 22 August 2022, 17:19   #7
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 9,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
a note that modified PC drives won't load trackloader based games properly 100% of the time.
This is quite a broad statement. If modified correctly, it is possible to get them to work.
Jope is offline  
Old 22 August 2022, 20:27   #8
modrobert
old bearded fool

modrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangkok
Age: 55
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumorr View Post
I am using HD disks, but I've covered the detection hole. Still no dice.

Looking at the ADF of one of the written disk images shows that it does write some of the sectors correctly, it just seems to fill random sectors with 0s. It seems to be more frequent in the first half of the disk image for some reason.
Using HD disks rarely worked for me, getting read errors and behaves badly, you need DD disks.
modrobert is offline  
Old 23 August 2022, 14:52   #9
Snoopy1234
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
This is quite a broad statement. If modified correctly, it is possible to get them to work.
Ok. That came from online sources. I'm referring to information on Amigakit drives.

Last edited by Snoopy1234; 23 August 2022 at 14:54. Reason: More Info.
Snoopy1234 is online now  
Old 24 August 2022, 08:05   #10
gumorr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibitvi View Post
Mine was behaving same way if memory serves correctly. Maybe the switch isn´t working properly? Try a drop of contact cleaner on the all the switches, press them a few times to spread it thorougly and check with multimeter that it functions. Also you can try some other drive to double check it´s the drive and not the amiga.
Turns out the switch didn't even exist. The drive was hard wired to read only HD disks.


I've managed to hard wire it to read DD disks. Seems to work okay now.
gumorr is offline  
Old 24 August 2022, 08:11   #11
bibitvi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Levice, Slovakia
Posts: 3
Cool. Where did you get the drive from? I would be curious as to why would somebody make such a (to me) nonsense mod.
bibitvi is offline  
Old 25 August 2022, 13:12   #12
Vstech
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: BELMONT
Posts: 31
Ya got pics?
I think the Mitsubishi line of drives from the late 90’s was this way.
Vstech is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Floppy Drive Issues Thiima support.Hardware 6 08 February 2021 12:00
modified sony MPF920 floppy drive issue Traindriver69 support.Hardware 14 04 November 2020 18:44
Floppy Drive Issues jraclarke support.Hardware 1 16 June 2018 17:56
large drive issues with cf trebormills project.ClassicWB 4 02 September 2011 01:06
FS: modified pc floppy drive suitable for tower Jope MarketPlace 7 09 July 2007 15:27

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08139 seconds with 15 queries