English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 August 2022, 18:46   #1
gumorr

Issues with modified PC drive

I'm having weird issues with a PC drive that I modified to work with my amiga. It's perfectly able to read from floppy disks, but it seems to be unable to write to disks.
I copied the same ADF file to two separate floppies, and then read them back, and they seem to have random sectors that weren't being written to at all. I know these disks work; I was able to write to them with a genuine amiga drive a while ago.
If anyone has any idea of what's going on, and if it's possible to repair the drive or if I should get another, it would be appreciated.

(For reference, the drive is an NEC FD1231H)
Old 17 August 2022, 07:26   #2
bibitvi

are you using HD disks? I recall to have the same issue more or less. If so, try to blank off the HD detection hole on them with a tape or ground the HD detection signal in the drive.
Old 17 August 2022, 10:00   #3
Jope
-

Some drives will no longer detect disk changes if you bypass the HD switch with a wire, so make sure to test that this still works.
Old 20 August 2022, 21:36   #4
gumorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibitvi View Post
are you using HD disks? I recall to have the same issue more or less. If so, try to blank off the HD detection hole on them with a tape or ground the HD detection signal in the drive.
I am using HD disks, but I've covered the detection hole. Still no dice.

Looking at the ADF of one of the written disk images shows that it does write some of the sectors correctly, it just seems to fill random sectors with 0s. It seems to be more frequent in the first half of the disk image for some reason.
Old 22 August 2022, 08:20   #5
bibitvi

Mine was behaving same way if memory serves correctly. Maybe the switch isn´t working properly? Try a drop of contact cleaner on the all the switches, press them a few times to spread it thorougly and check with multimeter that it functions. Also you can try some other drive to double check it´s the drive and not the amiga.
Old 22 August 2022, 16:20   #6
Snoopy1234

a note that modified PC drives won't load trackloader based games properly 100% of the time.
Old 22 August 2022, 17:19   #7
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
a note that modified PC drives won't load trackloader based games properly 100% of the time.
This is quite a broad statement. If modified correctly, it is possible to get them to work.
Old 22 August 2022, 20:27   #8
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumorr View Post
I am using HD disks, but I've covered the detection hole. Still no dice.

Looking at the ADF of one of the written disk images shows that it does write some of the sectors correctly, it just seems to fill random sectors with 0s. It seems to be more frequent in the first half of the disk image for some reason.
Using HD disks rarely worked for me, getting read errors and behaves badly, you need DD disks.
Old 23 August 2022, 14:52   #9
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
This is quite a broad statement. If modified correctly, it is possible to get them to work.
Ok. That came from online sources. I'm referring to information on Amigakit drives.

Last edited by Snoopy1234; 23 August 2022 at 14:54. Reason: More Info.
Old 24 August 2022, 08:05   #10
gumorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibitvi View Post
Mine was behaving same way if memory serves correctly. Maybe the switch isn´t working properly? Try a drop of contact cleaner on the all the switches, press them a few times to spread it thorougly and check with multimeter that it functions. Also you can try some other drive to double check it´s the drive and not the amiga.
Turns out the switch didn't even exist. The drive was hard wired to read only HD disks.

I've managed to hard wire it to read DD disks. Seems to work okay now.
Old 24 August 2022, 08:11   #11
bibitvi

Cool. Where did you get the drive from? I would be curious as to why would somebody make such a (to me) nonsense mod.
Old 25 August 2022, 13:12   #12
Vstech

Ya got pics?
I think the Mitsubishi line of drives from the late 90’s was this way.