English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 August 2022, 00:18   #61
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
Nah, not even close on an '030.
The SVP in the Megadrive version is comparable to an '060 in 3d rendering performance, so unless you want to cut to have about 1/4 of the detail and framerate (which maxes out at 15fps) of the Megadrive version; an exercise it pointlessness, any '030 version would sit somewhere completely pointless and laughable.
Well the SVP at 23mhz gives 25 MIPS, a 68040 at 25mhz gives 22 MIPS.

The Megadrive however probably has faster access to screen memory than the convoluted Amiga bitmap method as I understand it, hence F1 by Domark is about 20% faster on 7mhz Megadrive vs Amiga 500. I assume that's the issue anyway.

Certainly no need for an 060, it's fast but it isn't drawing complex polygons at all.
Old 11 August 2022, 00:25   #62
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post

Would love to see this running on A500
probably 1 frame a second... the Pico is actually quite a powerful "virtual" console
Old 11 August 2022, 00:35   #63
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
I think about no second prize which run on a 7mhz a500, not too bad.
not so much details but it runs on a stock a500.
Yeah I agree, No Second Prize on the ST seams to be very smooth indeed and that's just as awkward screen memory to write to and only an 8mhz 68000.

I don't expect it is possible on a 28mhz 020 like the Blizzard 1220/4 card etc but a 68040 is quite a bit better than an 020 (the 010 and 030 are not really any faster than predecessor in MIPS as usual and there was no 050).

What you do need is someone on the level of Geoff Crammond who wrote this sort of thing in ASM on bare CPU power like F1GP2 for DOS which works on a fast 486 and is light years ahead of Megadrive VR flat shaded visuals displayed.

F1GP on my 1992 25mhz 486 ran at about 20 fps (there was a key you pressed that showed FPS in game) and that IIRC clocks in about 15 MIPS, less than a 25mhz 040, and is not far off VR. Of course VGA byte per pixel is less clumsy than 5 bitplane writes on Amigas but still I am sure an 040 could do VR on Amiga...in the right hands. An 060 is probably overkill. I believe VR on Megadrive is about 15fps.
Old 11 August 2022, 10:14   #64
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post

[…]

Certainly no need for an 060, it's fast but it isn't drawing complex polygons at all.
You have to keep in mind that the SVP runs in parallel to the main CPU. Also the DSP MIPS rating doubles when it is being used in the 3D domain due to the MAC instructions which are basically three instructions in one.

So in fact we’re getting closer to M68060 like performance.
Old 17 August 2022, 21:35   #65
AmigaHope

Quote:
F1GP on my 1992 25mhz 486 ran at about 20 fps (there was a key you pressed that showed FPS in game) and that IIRC clocks in about 15 MIPS, less than a 25mhz 040, and is not far off VR. Of course VGA byte per pixel is less clumsy than 5 bitplane writes on Amigas but still I am sure an 040 could do VR on Amiga...in the right hands. An 060 is probably overkill. I believe VR on Megadrive is about 15fps.

Was that on ISA, high clocked ISA, or VLB? VLB was super fast compared to Amiga chip ram.
Old 17 August 2022, 23:13   #66
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
probably 1 frame a second... the Pico is actually quite a powerful "virtual" console
You have better Amiga coding experience but given the Pico-8 screen size and colour depth I hope that better performances could be achieved on Amiga with such specifications.
Maybe I will give a try to this emulator on my weakest laptop and see how games run
Old 18 August 2022, 09:48   #67
Solo Kazuki

Since there are 3D demos for 68060, what about Quake? And many other 3D games which needs 68060, e.g. Payback. What About Alien F1 where You have reflection on front of car (is Virtua Racing have reflections)?

Virtua Racer or Virtual Fighter i doable on Amiga, but better to use 040/060 and AGA or graphic card for it. But since no-one (?) is doing this...
Old 18 August 2022, 10:19   #68
khph_re

Alien F1/Virtual GP ran fine on my 030/50. Texture mapping, and lots of scaling sprites.
As much down to coding excellence as anything else.

It does make me laugh people saying 'is it possible?', when there are already more technically demanding titles already running.

I've heard it's an order of magnitude slower to implement texture mapping vs flat poly's, unless the Amiga's architecture somehow makes flat poly's a bad proposition compared to texture mapped?

Either way, it would take a very talented 3D coder, and I guess only the demo scene has that sort knowledge on the amiga these days.
Old 18 August 2022, 10:27   #69
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
You have better Amiga coding experience but given the Pico-8 screen size and colour depth I hope that better performances could be achieved on Amiga with such specifications.
The resolution and color depth are indeed artificially limited on the Pico-8, but it's still a powerful PC running that LUA-code.
Old 18 August 2022, 10:32   #70
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
The resolution and color depth are indeed artificially limited on the Pico-8, but it's still a powerful PC running that LUA-code.
I can see the PICO-8 being good as a learning tool - but I really hate seeing Demo's released on what I consider a fake platform.
Old 18 August 2022, 10:37   #71
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
I can see the PICO-8 being good as a learning tool - but I really hate seeing Demo's released on what I consider a fake platform.
I have no problems with demos being released for it, as there's definitely some clever trickery being done in relation to the size constraints. But they should compete in either in PC compos or in a category of their own.
Old 18 August 2022, 11:25   #72
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
I have no problems with demos being released for it, as there's definitely some clever trickery being done in relation to the size constraints. But they should compete in either in PC compos or in a category of their own.
pouet could do with a few more categories really.

There are so many platforms that could do with some love, other than PICO.

but that's a different thread
Old 18 August 2022, 19:07   #73
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
Amiga used to be a computer for the CREATIVE MIND, now it's just a trashcan for failed and crappy porting ideas that shouldn't have been considered in the first place. No creativity required or even allowed.

How the mighty have fallen.. it's really SAD.
I do like the bitter grains of truth in your posts, it's refreshing, but...

...sometimes it's not the end result that matters, rather the challenge of getting there, the process of making something work. There have been lots of technically impressive ports for Amiga lately, or variants (eg. Dread), not everything has to be creative new ideas. Perhaps the nostalgia part is what makes porting old games so popular?

Last edited by modrobert; 18 August 2022 at 19:30. Reason: Added afterthought.
Old 18 August 2022, 20:40   #74
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I do like the bitter grains of truth in your posts, it's refreshing, but...

...sometimes it's not the end result that matters, rather the challenge of getting there, the process of making something work. There have been lots of technically impressive ports for Amiga lately, or variants (eg. Dread), not everything has to be creative new ideas. Perhaps the nostalgia part is what makes porting old games so popular?
A lot of ports for 060/vampire owners, but also a shit ton of new games, the likes of which we haven't seen since the late 90's.

Boss Machine, creeping me out, super delivery boy, Devil's Temple, Demon Claw, Cyber Punks 2, Inviyya, Scourge of the Underkind, Worthy... and so many more, either here or on the way.

Not include software to drive development: Redpill, Scorpion engine and the Dread engine.
Old 20 August 2022, 09:09   #75
Korban

Quote:
You've overstated an '040's speed, and MIPs are nigh on irrelevant. IPC and the instructions being used are much more important and the rest of the Amiga is a bottleneck.
Completely apples to oranges comparison when just stating MIPS.
As I inferred you'd need a high end '060 to come close to achieving the results of the megadrive + svp on an Amiga.
Old 20 August 2022, 09:14   #76
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
Alien F1/Virtual GP ran fine on my 030/50. Texture mapping, and lots of scaling sprites.
As much down to coding excellence as anything else.

It does make me laugh people saying 'is it possible?', when there are already more technically demanding titles already running.
Graphics are only a small part of the equation though. Virtual GP is a *MUCH* more simple game in terms of AI and physics. There's also a heck of a lot more geometry in Virtua Racing than the very simple and limited Virtual GP.
Virtua Racing is an order of magnitude more technically demanding than Virtual GP.
Old 20 August 2022, 10:17   #77
AmigaHope

Quote:
You've overstated an '040's speed, and MIPs are nigh on irrelevant. IPC and the instructions being used are much more important and the rest of the Amiga is a bottleneck.
As I inferred you'd need a high end '060 to come close to achieving the results of the megadrive + svp on an Amiga.
Depends on how efficient the pipelining is on the SVP. It's just doing large amounts of 16x16 integer multiplies. The 060 is pretty fast at that, and you could even do 32x32 multiplies.

The SSP1601 (which the SVP is based on) has the advantage of having a lot of 16-bit buses to suck data in and push it out, but the Virtua Racing cartridge has only one RAM chip so it doesn't seem to use that feature. I have a hunch that the SVP is crippled by this.
Old 30 August 2022, 01:07   #78
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Was that on ISA, high clocked ISA, or VLB? VLB was super fast compared to Amiga chip ram.
My 486, which was some cobbled together small company affair I bought in Sept 1992 called 'puters, it had I believe 11mhz 16bit ISA access set in the BIOS on a very average motherboard with AMI BIOS IIRC.

It also had a really horrible SVGA chipset on the video card, the cheapest possible setup you could call an SVGA 486/25 PC but it was acceptable for regular VGA lo-res mode for stuff like Actua Soccer and F1GP.
Old 30 August 2022, 01:15   #79
ImmortalA1000

Quote:

I gave you official figures for both bits of silicon, didn't overstate anything I quoted figures given.

The AGA chipset is just as much a bottleneck anyway even if you have an 060/66 in an upgraded A4000.