English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 August 2021, 13:14   #921
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Post number #893, picture 2 and 3.
Now I see. The EAB forum has no placeholder indication to indicate graphics, so I did not realize there were any screenshots there.

Anyway, those country files are relying on OS4 functionality that is not implemented on OS3.2. The issue will be resolved for the next update. Until then the OS3.9 country files should be used for these countries. The country files from OS4 are bosanski, brasil, czech_republic, hrvatska, nihon, slovakia and slovenia.

Last edited by Minuous; 09 August 2021 at 13:20.
Old 09 August 2021, 13:19   #922
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Okay, you are blamed then
Old 09 August 2021, 14:05   #923
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
. The country files from OS4 are bosanski, brasil, czech_republic, hrvatska, nihon, slovakia and slovenia.

Slovenia and Brasil OS3.2 seem to work well, moreover the official language of Brasil is Portoghesel language fully supported by OS 3.2
Old 09 August 2021, 15:36   #924
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I've been trying out the new reaction api's from and I'm wondering if i've found a bug. The WMHI_GADGETHELP message never seems to contain a gadget ID in the lower 16 bits of the result code. It either returns 0 or WMHI_GADGETMASK but never a gadget ID in my tests. I wasn't able to get this working no matter what I tried, so i tried it using classact on my old 3.1 installation and that worked fine. I also tried it using os4.1 and that appeared to work correctly too with my test application.

I then went hunting for any applications that used WMHI_GADGETHELP on github and found the prefernces screen on diskmaster used it. (http://aminet.net/package/util/dir/DiskMaster)

I've attached a screenshot. The help text at the bottom should update as you move your mouse around the window but it does not function correctly on OS 3.2. I've even tried it on a fresh install of 3.2 just in case it was anything i'd previously had installed causing a conflict.

I've also attached example.lha which contains one of the classact samples which demonstrates the same problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dm.png
Views:	219
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	72797  
Attached Files
File Type: lha example.lha (4.1 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Phantasm; 09 August 2021 at 15:48.
Old 09 August 2021, 16:39   #925
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I've been trying out the new reaction api's from and I'm wondering if i've found a bug. The WMHI_GADGETHELP message never seems to contain a gadget ID in the lower 16 bits of the result code. It either returns 0 or WMHI_GADGETMASK but never a gadget ID in my tests. I wasn't able to get this working no matter what I tried, so i tried it using classact on my old 3.1 installation and that worked fine. I also tried it using os4.1 and that appeared to work correctly too with my test application.

I then went hunting for any applications that used WMHI_GADGETHELP on github and found the prefernces screen on diskmaster used it. (http://aminet.net/package/util/dir/DiskMaster)

I've attached a screenshot. The help text at the bottom should update as you move your mouse around the window but it does not function correctly on OS 3.2. I've even tried it on a fresh install of 3.2 just in case it was anything i'd previously had installed causing a conflict.

I've also attached example.lha which contains one of the classact samples which demonstrates the same problem.

This issue has been already resolved for the next update.
Old 10 August 2021, 01:52   #926
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got a problem between intuition.library from 3.2 and "LittleClock" by Thomas Rapp. It works right if you use any former version of the lib, including the 3.1.4 update (version 45.13) as PeterK has found and told me. If you use version 47.51 from 3.2 and if you move an icon several times, it will freeze/hang the screen if you are using LittleClock.
Edit: (Important). This is with OS3.9BB2 plus OS3.2.

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 August 2021 at 20:11.
Old 10 August 2021, 09:41   #927
AMIGASYSTEM

LittleClock works fine for me, see attached video, which icon does it block ?

http://eab.abime.net/zone/LittleClock.avi
Old 10 August 2021, 19:43   #928
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
LittleClock works fine for me, see attached video, which icon does it block ?

http://eab.abime.net/zone/LittleClock.avi

It's with AGA that it freezes for example the LittleClock icon when you move it several times inside the window.
But it works right on a normal OS3.2. It's with OS3.9BB2 plus OS3.2 where the problem happens (sorry, I forgot to say that).

Also LockSmith has reported a semaphore lock

http://aminet.net/package/dev/debug/LockSmith

SemaphoreLock.txt

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 August 2021 at 20:11.
Old 10 August 2021, 21:19   #929
AMIGASYSTEM

As already said OS 3.2 can't be mixed with other OS, inserting applications from previous OS must be done after an accurate test, mixing OS 3.2 with other OS in bulk, in particular OS 3.9 could create instability, OS 3.2 has updated numerous libraries that are not supported by other OS.
Old 10 August 2021, 21:52   #930
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
As already said OS 3.2 can't be mixed with other OS, inserting applications from previous OS must be done after an accurate test, mixing OS 3.2 with other OS in bulk, in particular OS 3.9 could create instability, OS 3.2 has updated numerous libraries that are not supported by other OS.

What you say, but at the same time, it stopped working sometime in the updates, as it works right with the intuition.library of the OS 3.1.4.1 update.

intuition-RelNotes.txt

Old 12 August 2021, 22:52   #931
acidbottle

ahh crap!!

I swapped out my 3.1.4 roms for 3.2 aaaand .. my amiga wont boot

Tried to re-seat twice and best I get is a dark grey/black screen. LEDs on but drive isnt clicking. First time experiencing a malfunction so no idea.

Worst of it all, bent the pins on old roms so a pain in the ass to re-try the old kick.
Old 13 August 2021, 10:38   #932
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
ahh crap!!

I swapped out my 3.1.4 roms for 3.2 aaaand .. my amiga wont boot

Tried to re-seat twice and best I get is a dark grey/black screen. LEDs on but drive isnt clicking. First time experiencing a malfunction so no idea.

Worst of it all, bent the pins on old roms so a pain in the ass to re-try the old kick.
That's not so good

Sorry for the potentially insulting questions, but have you checked you got the ROMs in the right order and with the un-used socket holes at the correct side?
Old 13 August 2021, 12:10   #933
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
as it works right with the intuition.library of the OS 3.1.4.1 update.
With OS 3.2 you can't use the "intuition.library" anymore OS 3.1.4, first because now it works differently, now intuition.library it's integrated in the ROM and offscreen windows are managed from Prefs/Icontrol.

Also, some native OS 3.2 applications may not work with intuition.library 3.1.4

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 August 2021 at 12:24.
Old 13 August 2021, 13:00   #934
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
That's not so good

Sorry for the potentially insulting questions, but have you checked you got the ROMs in the right order and with the un-used socket holes at the correct side?
Thats okay, thanks for having a think about any issues!

Can confirm the roms were placed in the correct sockets (unless they were mis-labeled haha) and didnt use the pins on the far left.

Thankfully though I was able to return to the 3.1.4 roms and it boots again with no issue. Had initially though I had done some damage

Think these were DOA, will return and grab another set.
Old 14 August 2021, 00:15   #935
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Question for OS3.2 developers:

there are those well or less known hidden messages across all the AmigaOS versions. Are there any in 3.2 too?
Old 14 August 2021, 00:40   #936
AMIGASYSTEM

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...postcount=1436
Old 14 August 2021, 01:15   #937
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Question for OS3.2 developers:

there are those well or less known hidden messages across all the AmigaOS versions. Are there any in 3.2 too?
There is one overengineered Easter Egg which we hope it is found since we have all collaborated in its creation.

Then there are a couple more smaller ones, and easier to spot.

I heard Olaf wanted to offer a recognition reward to the finder of the one we all collaborated, as an incentive. I will ask him to chime in and spill out the details of the reward he mentioned and if it is still up for grabs.
Old 14 August 2021, 08:58   #938
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
There is one overengineered Easter Egg which we hope it is found since we have all collaborated in its creation.

Then there are a couple more smaller ones, and easier to spot.

I heard Olaf wanted to offer a recognition reward to the finder of the one we all collaborated, as an incentive. I will ask him to chime in and spill out the details of the reward he mentioned and if it is still up for grabs.
So far nobody has come forth to claim the prize, which might be due to the fact that the easter egg has been hidden so well and we didn't want to jinx it by dropping hints. Also, we didn't talk about a prize for finding the easter egg (discovering the easter egg and experimenting with what makes it tick hopefully being a prize all by itself) in public.

Because AmigaOS 3.2 was a volunteer effort, with all of us "paying it forward", there's no money involved in the prize for finding the easter egg, of course. I suggested that the prize should not be something tangible, but rather something that connects the winner to Amiga history. This is not a "Masquerade" style treasure hunt (see https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...herts-47671776 and https://www.filfre.net/2016/05/kit-w...1-the-contest/).

Here is what I wrote on the matter when we developers discussed the easter egg:

Quote:
How about the first three to discover the easter egg win the following:

1) To be named in the next Amiga easter egg.
2) The choice not to be named in the next Amiga easter egg.
3) To contribute a witty one-liner or joke, provided it has been judged funny by an impartial critic such as her or his mother. Note: should not be the one about the chicken crossing the road, because we already know that one. However, if it has to be, it should be in Klingon.
4) To contribute a colour scheme to be used in the next Amiga easter egg.
So this is what goes for now

If you find the easter egg, please let us know in this very forum. Order of posting matters! Kindly tell your story of how you found it. Amiga developers who have access to the easter egg source code need not apply because that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

To get you started, here's a cryptic hint: the easter egg can be found where it should not be and could not be. End of cryptic hint.

Fancy trivia you probably wouldn't believe even if it was wrong: The AmigaOS 3.2 easter egg was developed over the Easter holidays in 2021. I don't know if this makes it super-special, but I reckon it counts for something

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 14 August 2021 at 10:12.
Old 14 August 2021, 09:41   #939
Thomas Richter

Frankly, I'm not a fan of such features in professional software and I can ensure that 3.1.4 was completely easter-egg free. Maybe I'm a boring Prussian guy, with boring ideals, but I believe a software should just do what it was designed for, not more, not less.
Old 14 August 2021, 11:11   #940
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Frankly, I'm not a fan of such features in professional software and I can ensure that 3.1.4 was completely easter-egg free. Maybe I'm a boring Prussian guy, with boring ideals, but I believe a software should just do what it was designed for, not more, not less.
Don't worry, 3.2 eggs do not waist valuable ram, take rom space or even use any harddrive space. How could that be? Well, only time will show...