Old 27 December 2009, 17:57   #1
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Classic WB OS3.9 VS Classic WB ADV SP

Hi,

I'm looking at the new packs, I currently use ADV SP on my 030 A1200

Whats the pro's and cons of the two?

I know ADV SP uses Scalos, does this have an advantage/disadvantage over the standard workbench enviroment in OS3.9?

Thanks for any opinions

Steve.
Old 28 December 2009, 17:01   #2
Bloodwych

Now I've added large hard drive support, not much really for general use.

OS39 is really nice for more powerful setups with graphics cards and large amounts of RAM, as it does suck up memory and is slower than Scalos.

You miss out on the larger glow icons and true colour icons for games and P96 displays by not using 3.5/9. It has font sensitive prefs requesters and skin support throughout, instead of some of the topaz hard coded ones in Workbench 3.0/1 that Scalos doesn't replace. So it has better support for hires Workbench setups.

Scalos to be honest adds a lot of the features of OS3.5/9 to Workbench 3.0/1 and adds some unique characteristics too (context sensitive menus, default drive icons, better requesters, default icons can be made saveable, many patches and fixes built in, better sorting of icons, each operation a separate process etc etc). I prefer it, and end up adding external programs to OS3.5/9 to emulate features missing in comparison to Scalos, plus it multitasks better too.

Some people just like a pure Workbench environment however and won't accept Scalos.

Me, I'd use the 3.0/1 setups on a standard A1200 and accelerated Amiga's with native displays and 10MB RAM, OS3.9 on RTG machines with 18MB or more RAM.

I'm releasing a 3.5 version soon too, just to make your decision harder. It uses less RAM than 3.9, and is a nice setup for those wanting a pure Workbench environment that works very similar to the ADVSP.

Bottom line is, use whatever gets the job done best for you. If Scalos is causing you problems (never has done for me), try the 3.5/9 version.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 28 December 2009 at 17:21.
Old 28 December 2009, 19:31   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for the reply Bloodwych

No problems to report with ADV SP/Scalos except that its not much faster with my 030 then it was on my 020, noticeably faster and better to use but not the sort of jump in speed I was expecting... (Icons a little slow to load) Would an Indivision AGA make this better? My next planned upgrade...

Sounds like OS3.9 will be slower so maybe I will give that a miss and stick with ADV SP. I will probably try OS3.9 on a CF card anyway just for the fun of it I already set one up in winuae so its just a case of transfering the files... Just waiting for a 2.5gb Microdrive I ordered before Xmas to turn up.

I am using CWB Full on my other A1200 its 020 with 8mb fast mem and I tend to use that one for my WHDLoad games... I am using the 030 with the SCSI CDROM for CD Games now and Speccy Emulation/SMS Emu oh and Doom.

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 28 December 2009 at 19:37.
Old 28 December 2009, 20:03   #4
Bloodwych

Strange how an 030 doesn't speed up the icons. Perhaps the read speed of the storage medium on the Amiga is the deciding factor? Is it a flash card?
Old 28 December 2009, 20:16   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Strange how an 030 doesn't speed up the icons. Perhaps the read speed of the storage medium on the Amiga is the deciding factor? Is it a flash card?
Well they are faster, maybe twice/3 times as the fast as the 020 but I was expecting faster like the speed regular icons load on wb 3.1

I am using a 40gb hitachi 2.5in laptop hard drive, just the first 4gb. Maybe it'll be faster with the microdrive?

Its a 40mhz 030 by the way.

Steve.

Edit: Here I attached a vid (rar'd)

Last edited by fitzsteve; 04 November 2010 at 23:46.
Old 28 December 2009, 21:15   #6
Bloodwych

That's pretty fast - what I'd expect. Your limited to a certain extent by the read speed and spoilt by using WinUAE and modern fast PC's.

It's one of the reasons why there are so many ways to launch files in the ClassicWB. Limiting the need to open loads of drawers.
Old 28 December 2009, 21:27   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
That's pretty fast - what I'd expect. Your limited to a certain extent by the read speed and spoilt by using WinUAE and modern fast PC's.

It's one of the reasons why there are so many ways to launch files in the ClassicWB. Limiting the need to open loads of drawers.
Thanks mate, yes spoilt by winuae. Use your P96 package on my media centre from time to time its amazing!