English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 16 January 2024, 12:14   #1
cloverskull

Anyone using BestWB on OS 3.2?

Hey friends, I traditionally used BestClassicWB on 3.2 but want to try going to something more stripped down and building up from there. However, BestWB seems to have a lot of useful software to add to a base install which doesn’t feel very bloated.

My question is if anyone has installed BestWB on 3.2 and has any feedback? Seems like some of the tools would be duplicating efforts with applications that shipped with 3.2 and I’d rather keep things as streamlined as possible.

I’ve seen the HSTWB project has a way to install BestWB on 3.2 but I’d like to understand how to do it from the core BestWB distribution.

Thanks!
Old 17 January 2024, 00:12   #2
Juppstein

I've installed it when I setup everything for Pistorm. As far as I remember I just downloaded the full package from here

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BestWB.htm

and went with it after the base OS was updated to the latest release ( 3.2.2.1). I think I've updated the odd package later on as needed, but overall the process was pretty straightforward.

It was my first manual install on actual hardware since many, many years so I might have overlooked the odd nuance here and there but so far this setup is still holding up nicely
Old 17 January 2024, 01:26   #3
cloverskull

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds good to me I guess there's no time like the present to just give it a whirl myself...
Old 17 January 2024, 07:23   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I have tended to avoid these all-in-one packages, especially with 3.2 as I first wanted to explore what the base install has to offer before adding extras. I will probably like a list of what it offers and add bits one at a time.
Old 17 January 2024, 08:15   #5
cloverskull

I installed it and everything seems fine. I didn't notice any major issues and actually the tools provided are really useful.

The only annoying thing is the Sys:System drawer is left out on the desktop and I have to right click->put away every time I boot. I know this is stupid but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put it away permanently.
Old 17 January 2024, 23:42   #6
Juppstein

That's a strange behavior, I didn't encounter that on my install, sorry ??????
Old 18 January 2024, 07:51   #7
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Snapshot the layout of the desktop maybe.
Old 18 January 2024, 08:38   #8
cloverskull

Yeah, thought that might be it, but I've put away the icon and snapshotted multiple times (window and all) to no avail :/
Old 18 January 2024, 08:44   #9
Etze
A3000-Fan

Never happened to me but maybe the .icon is somehow broken. Try to delete it and copy another one.
Old 18 January 2024, 18:19   #10
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
... the Sys:System drawer is left out on the desktop and I have to right click->put away every time I boot. I know this is stupid but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put it away permanently.
The left out icons on the desktop are stored in textfiles ".backdrop" in the root directories of the disks where they are coming from.

That means that there should exist a text file "Sys:.backdrop" with a line in it: ":System", which can also be edited manually by deleting this line. Maybe the problem with your ".backdrop" file is that it is write protected and thus a permanent "put away" fails, because the system can't update this file.
Old 18 January 2024, 19:51   #11
cloverskull

Amazing. Thanks for the explanation!
Old 19 January 2024, 16:22   #12
PeterK

I've tried to reproduce your problem on my system by removing the W and D protection bits for ".backdrop", but when I clicked on "Put Away" for an icon my system could still update the ".backdrop" by removing the file and creating a new one if there were other entries left.

Maybe your ".backdrop" contents is damaged somehow? Or there is something on your system which replaces the ".backdrop" each time when you boot it up.