English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 21 April 2006, 21:15   #1
zardoz
Zone Friend

Beginning Amiga programming in C++

Just curious, but I wonder how easy it would be for me to get up and running with a C++ compiler in workbench (I program VC++ by trade). Which development environment is the most sophisticated? Are there libraries out there like MFC?

I suppose the Workbench application model is different from Windows; are there APIs for messaging, threads and graphics?

Ta.
Old 22 April 2006, 00:43   #2
DopPie
Zone Friend

No MFC is available. You have to assemble your GUI in code just like in the old days.

As for compilers you could use HiSoft C++. I found it had a nice IDE and makes the learning curve less steep than other compilers.

You could also do crosscompiling using AmiDecCpp. But that won't help you debugging.
Old 27 April 2006, 22:23   #3
bburtonpa
Amiga user since 1985

I'm also a professional programmer and actually worked as a consultant on a number of Amiga projects back in the early nineties. IMHO, one of the things that the Amiga has always lacked was an IDE like VC. As for MFC, I started a project many years ago (1995) to port the MFC interface to Amiga. It's not that hard to do, but the lack of a decent C++ compiler at the time made it a effort in futility.

As for a good C++ compiler for the Amiga, check AmiNet for GCC. I think the last complete version they have 2.95. Also, do a search for GeekGadgets. I think Back2Roots still has the old GG files on their FTP site. Last time I checked, you could create GCC 3.3x using their guide/files. WARNING: Some knowledge of unix/linux build environments is required.

Of course, if you REALLY want to code for the Amiga, find someone who'll pass on to you a copy of the old SAS compiler. Strictly for C coders, but VERY good for it's day. No matter what you do, you'll need a copy of the RKM manuals, which can be found in PDF form on the web. If you're a good "digger", you can also find the latest SDK (3.9).

Yes, there are APIs for messaging, threads and graphics, but they are quite primative compared to what we have today.

Hope that helps.
Old 17 May 2006, 13:14   #4
Reth

Try the Cubic Ide or GoldED Studio AIX.
It has integrated GCC support and a lot of useful functions and features for developers.