English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 02 July 2013, 22:45   #1
trumpy81

Question WB 3.1 adf's

GDay All,

I'm an old time Amiga user and former Amiga BBS owner and I'd like to fire up WinUAE again. I haven't used it since v0.8.22R9, I still have my .hdf files from my original A2000 and the rom file I saved from it but somewhere along the way I have lost all my .adf files with Workbench 3.1 on them. Would anyone have a set they would be willing to share please?

If it's any consolation, I bought the original roms, manuals and disks for my Amiga 2000 many moons ago. I still had the original box until a recent cleanup of the shed. The only thing Amiga I have left now is an old A1200 motherboard in an ancient 386 full tower case that now serves as a stand for my downstairs PC. I still have some CU Amiga cover discs and a lot of my old BBS archives.

I actually have the disks in .dms archives but it's been so long now I've forgotten what format that is, can anyone help with that?

Old 02 July 2013, 22:52   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Requests for illegal copyrighted material are strictly prohibited here. Use google.

dms files are supported directly in WinUAE. Use them as if they were ADF.
Old 03 July 2013, 11:13   #3
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy81 View Post
GDay All,

I'm an old time Amiga user and former Amiga BBS owner and I'd like to fire up WinUAE again. I haven't used it since v0.8.22R9, I still have my .hdf files from my original A2000 and the rom file I saved from it but somewhere along the way I have lost all my .adf files with Workbench 3.1 on them. Would anyone have a set they would be willing to share please?

If it's any consolation, I bought the original roms, manuals and disks for my Amiga 2000 many moons ago. I still had the original box until a recent cleanup of the shed. The only thing Amiga I have left now is an old A1200 motherboard in an ancient 386 full tower case that now serves as a stand for my downstairs PC. I still have some CU Amiga cover discs and a lot of my old BBS archives.

I actually have the disks in .dms archives but it's been so long now I've forgotten what format that is, can anyone help with that?
Look at Amiga forever. Excellent piece of software and it has the WB 3.1 floppies as part of it. Other than that, Google is your friend (very easy to find...)
Old 03 July 2013, 12:13   #4
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Requests for illegal copyrighted material are strictly prohibited here.
Who owns the copyright to these disks?

Why are they protecting them being copied? Are they issuing DMCA notices to websites that supply the images? I wonder if they care?
Old 03 July 2013, 13:32   #5
Cymru

Good questions, but Hyperion licenses them and could cause legal trouble for this site. They are available with the purchase of the Amiga Forever DVD along with many other useful programs. If you don't want to spend the few $/€/£ to purchase them, then search the web; some folks will even sell the disks out there.
Old 03 July 2013, 14:17   #6
john1979

I was under the impression that "Amiga Inc" were laying claim to the old ROMs and OS (1.x to 3.1)?

Either way no one who claims to have ownership have ever proved it, and I wonder if they even could.

I guess providing copies of the ROMs could be described as an illegal act, but someone would have to care enough to claim ownership and then actually prove that they do. Something I can't see happening.

I notice a google search for downloading the kickstart 3.1 rom provides lots of results, no chillingeffects take downs listed at the bottom.
Old 03 July 2013, 18:49   #7
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy81 View Post

They are "disk masher" format. Use a tool called "dms" to write them back to disk.
Old 03 July 2013, 22:16   #8
Cymru

1) There is a nice program in icon format for handling DMS files on Aminet.

2) Amiga Inc has only claim to the name, not any intellectual property.

3) if you know where to look on the web, the stuff you will find for download is amazing. Nuff said.
Old 03 July 2013, 22:34   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Why are they protecting them being copied? Are they issuing DMCA notices to websites that supply the images? I wonder if they care?
The whole topic has been brought up a lot of times. Last time here: http://eab.abime.net/request-apps/51...-ban-them.html
Basically EAB tries to stay out of trouble and since the Kickstarts and Workbench disks are still sold (even if it's just 'under license' and not by the owner of the IP) it's not worth the hassle to risk any legal problems (as small as the chances for that might be in reality...).
Old 03 July 2013, 23:07   #10
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
The whole topic has been brought up a lot of times. Last time here: http://eab.abime.net/request-apps/51...-ban-them.html
Basically EAB tries to stay out of trouble and since the Kickstarts and Workbench disks are still sold (even if it's just 'under license' and not by the owner of the IP) it's not worth the hassle to risk any legal problems (as small as the chances for that might be in reality...).
Hear hear... chances are someone may kick off a fuss and then EAB will get shut down. Best to leave these sorts of files off EAB but lets share and care lol
Old 05 July 2013, 19:27   #11
Cymru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
Good questions, but Hyperion licenses them and could cause legal trouble for this site...
As I said.
Old 05 July 2013, 19:38   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Cloanto's agreement predates Hyperion's 'exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right' by quite a few years. I recommend a read through http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-122 to understand how messed up it really is
Old 07 July 2013, 03:10   #13
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Cloanto's agreement predates Hyperion's 'exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right' by quite a few years. I recommend a read through http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-122 to understand how messed up it really is
"Can do" but only if you get a licence which is no longer available to obtain as original copyright and patents expired but copyright in place till 2080s ... wtf how confusing. The reason why I hate law and lawyers. They can't keep things clear cut and everything thing is shades of grey.
Old 07 July 2013, 06:50   #14
Cymru

Quote:
So when Jens got a license from Hyperion, he should have gotten one from Cloanto years before he did?
Old 07 July 2013, 08:54   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
So when Jens got a license from Hyperion, he should have gotten one from Cloanto years before he did?
No Cloanto got a license (or licenses) to distribute the kickstarts and workbench disks, but they can't pass that right on. I just meant that EAB mainly has the rules section because of Cloanto still selling them. It would be interesting if somebody could ask Hyperion if a similar agreement to Jens can be made for EAB...
Old 07 July 2013, 11:33   #16
thomas

Quote:
It would be interesting if somebody could ask Hyperion if a similar agreement to Jens can be made for EAB...
I an quite sure that Jens has a commercial agreement with Hyperion, i.e. he probably pays a small fee for each sold product which comes with a Kickstart. You'd most likely get a similar agreement if you are willing to pay for it...
Old 07 July 2013, 11:43   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It might be actually worth to try that given that Cloanto doesn't offer a kickstart/WB only pack still. I'll think about it...
Old 09 July 2013, 13:41   #18
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>Look at Amiga forever. Excellent piece of software and it has the WB 3.1 floppies as part of it.

Last time I checked it just had disk 1 of WB3.1 and was missing all the rest...
Old 09 July 2013, 13:50   #19
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Last time I checked it just had disk 1 of WB3.1 and was missing all the rest...
This must have been decades ago. Since I first checked (version 4 IIRC) it contained all six disks of 3.1. You need at least the plus edition, though. The cheap edition is crippled.
Old 13 July 2013, 02:17   #20
xArtx

Quote:
No Cloanto got a license (or licenses) to distribute the kickstarts and workbench disks, but they can't pass that right on.
They claim that they can

Quote:
Various licenses were reconfirmed in a 2011 agreement between Cloanto and Amiga, Inc. (Delaware).
These include the right to sublicense, and are not limited to emulation purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
This must have been decades ago. Since I first checked (version 4 IIRC) it contained all six disks of 3.1. You need at least the plus edition, though. The cheap edition is crippled.
I see six different versions od Kickstart, but don't see any Workbench disks.
There are RP9 files for every Workbench across all model Amigas,
but the disk images aren't in the RP9 files.
Perhaps they are hidden away to prevent then spreading.

Last edited by xArtx; 13 July 2013 at 02:45.