English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 November 2021, 09:58   #1
rjd324

Capacitors used in CM8833-2 / 1084

Does anyone have a BOM for capacitors for these two monitors?
Old 05 November 2021, 13:37   #2
Jope
-

https://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/mon...el_number.html 1084s-p1 capacitor list. This is for the philips made 8833/1084 monitors with the power switch at the rear. Other cap lists are there too.
Old 05 November 2021, 20:47   #3
Photon

Capacitors are capacitors. If you must replace all of them, just look at them, follow the spec and get any brand from any retailer matching it.
Old 09 November 2021, 04:50   #4
rjd324

Thanks Photon/Jope. I would just rather not open the monitor, work out what each individual capacitor spec is, write it down, order, close the monitor, wait for a week only to open it again.

If I just have a list, I can order them and then do everything in one go. Lazy, yes.

From the looks of it, the same list (Jope) can be used on both the 1083 and 8833.

Out of interest, what do you think of capacitors from China/Ebay, or is that just asking for trouble? For my M1438s monitor, I used a reputable distributor, but just wondering what you think of those from ebay/china.
Old 09 November 2021, 10:44   #5
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

From a quality point of view, there will probably be no difference - I guess most of them are actually produced in China?

From a sales/trust point of view, I have made good experience with retailers from China, but ofcourse it can take up to 2 months until your order arrives.
Old 09 November 2021, 11:00   #6
Daedalus

I would only buy from eBay or similar if I couldn't find a more reputable supplier for them. The minor cost saving isn't worth the hassle and potential risk of getting B-grade, NOS or flat out counterfeit parts.

Where it's made in itself makes little difference regarding an item's quality; you can have fantastic quality manufacturing in China and you can have absolute tripe. It all comes down to who actually ordered the parts originally and what they had in mind. And the only way you really know that is to buy through reputable and well-established supply chains.
Old 09 November 2021, 11:04   #7
Jope
-

I would buy quality brand name caps from tme.eu/mouser/farnell/some other actual electronics shop and nothing from a random ebay/aliexpress seller.
Old 09 November 2021, 12:39   #8
idrougge

Unfortunately those capacitor lists don't contain the RM/spacing between the legs, so you can't just order them blindly.

Note that it also makes sense to use 105 °C rated capacitors, considering that the insides of a monitor can get quite hot.
Old 10 November 2021, 21:05   #9
hadoque

I would recommend using a plastic film capacitor in place of the bipolar electrolytic cap.
Old 12 November 2021, 02:59   #10
voyager_1701e

I did it the hard way and the easy way. I pulled all the caps out of the monitor, noted down the details and ordered from Mouser.
I had a second monitor I didnt have the replacement flyback yet, so I later ordered the capacitor kit from arcade parts and repair.
Both came no worries (I think Mouser may not have had all the caps on the list available), so the kit was probably more convenient (both were similar quality parts)
Old 12 November 2021, 23:11   #11
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoc View Post
From a quality point of view, there will probably be no difference - I guess most of them are actually produced in China?
This. All your electronic components come from Asia. They are the best quality.

Apart from that, almost all electronics come from Asia, and they are the best quality. All the name brands you know in your country agrees, or they wouldn't have asked them to produce it for them.

If you can buy from Asia you cut out the middleman, for components I must mention following specs in your region. That's what middlemen (and standards-logos on electronic components and gear) are for. Up to spec.

For capacitors it's easier than that. If you can find a source in Asia go for it if you can handle the shipping time. Middlemen are also for keeping items in stock, so you don't have to wait for them shipping across the world for 2 months... which is great.

I've been ordering from Asia since 1995 and only great experiences. As a private person on some random ad site like eBay tho, always go by seller rating. Sellers are people, and people can screw you over. Companies, nah. No such thing. And it's pretty hard for a component seller to retain a great rating. Their buyers know more than someone ordering say some shoe or phone charger.

So don't be nervous. Just get some capacitors, I think you'll be fine.