English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 16 October 2010, 01:46   #1
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

ClassicWB RTG issue

Have installed ClassicWB for UAE, and it looks awesome so hats of to its makers however i have an issue that really irking me.

Before i started using ClassicWB i just used to have a standard WB install under WinUAE and i have a load of Cracktros on my hardrive that i can run directly from the hard drive, however with ClassicWB i get the sound but not video, it just stays on the workbench screen. i have tried every conceivable configuration and the ONLY way i can get them to work is to to remove the memory from the RTG card which makes the workbench look ugly as hell but does make the cracktros work.

Any ideas?

sorry if this is in the wrong place
Old 16 October 2010, 12:20   #2
Bloodwych

If you're using the UAE version have you tried the other configs provided?

One is RTG/P96 with JIT, another the same but without JIT and the final one the ADVSP pack without P96 and JIT. The configs are there to give a range of compatibility as both P96 and JIT can cause issues.

As for your problem, it sounds like a WinUAE config issue rather than a problem with the Workbench itself. I can't test at the moment, but perhaps someone else will pop in with an answer.
Old 16 October 2010, 12:25   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Sounds like its getting stuck in the RTG screen and not changing to the native screen for your Demo. The problem could be with UAE however (back up first) but you could try New Mode on Aminet to promote the screen, its helped for me on my real miggy where Warp3D stuff would not promote, but with newmode it does!

http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/NewMode_V39

Steve.
Old 16 October 2010, 13:54   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is normal, not WinUAE specific. Promotion software won't help.

Any program that pokes custom chipset directly without startup code that closes current view works that way because RTG driver has no idea there is native chipset screen active.
Old 16 October 2010, 14:04   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is normal, not WinUAE specific. Promotion software won't help.

Any program that pokes custom chipset directly without startup code that closes current view works that way because RTG driver has no idea there is native chipset screen active.
Yes that makes sense now, when I run 060 demo's on my RTG setup the RTG screen stays active and I have to switch to the scart AV channel to watch the demo. (It does not even ask new mode to promote)

I guess the OP will have to change the screen mode before running the Demo.

Steve.
Old 16 October 2010, 14:20   #6
DaveMB

Thanks for the answers, so i guess theres really no easy way to resolve this then, now that i have seen ClassicWB with RTG enabled theres no way i can go back to a standard Workbench for all my work.

Guess i'll just have to set up a quick config without RTG for Cracktros and stuff.

Although i suppose i could crunch them down and make a menu disk (or 2) with my favourite ones on.

Cheers
Old 16 October 2010, 14:48   #7
thomas

You can change screenmode with sysrefs/screenmode. You can also save various presets and activate them by double click or using a shell script.
Old 16 October 2010, 23:47   #8
DaveMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You can change screenmode with sysrefs/screenmode. You can also save various presets and activate them by double click or using a shell script.
Hi, makes no difference as Toni explained above the cracktro's where designed to run on boot and don't contain any code to close the current view.

It doesn't matter what screen mode i use the only way to make them run from workbench is to boot with RTG disabled.
Old 17 October 2010, 09:36   #9
thomas

If you change screenmode to PAL or NTSC, RTG *is* disabled (well, not entirely, but it is inactive).

Toni's "startup code" does not refer to AmigaOS, but to the demo. The demo needs to deal with RTG if an RTG screenmode is active. Change screenmode to native, then no such code is needed.