English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 March 2021, 18:30   #61
Radertified

Hopefully there's not too many icons that have lines like that.

Or if there's a fix for WHDLoadMenu... even better!

But it's no big deal if it's just one or two slaves like that.
Old 19 March 2021, 19:24   #62
yelworC

As far as I remember this garbage in the tooltypes is the icon image data of the Newicon system. This is normally hidden, when icon library is capable of displaying these icons either by the newicons patch or simply a more recent icon.library.
Old 19 March 2021, 21:35   #63
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelworC View Post
As far as I remember this garbage in the tooltypes is the icon image data of the Newicon system. This is normally hidden, when icon library is capable of displaying these icons either by the newicons patch or simply a more recent icon.library.
As far as I know, agreed
Old 22 March 2021, 22:41   #64
Vesuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Could be that the »»»» Icon by Michael-T. «««« line might be the culprit here.
I can confirm this is exactly what's causing the issue - not the NewIcon lines.

WHDLoadMenu currently uses all tooltypes as WHDLoad arguments as is except ones starting with one of the following:
  • ;
  • (
  • IM1=
  • IM2=

Apparently » should be added to the list. This will be added in an upcoming release. For now, please comment out that tooltype by adding parentheses around it or by deleting the line altogether. Thanks for the bug report!
Old 22 March 2021, 23:25   #65
Radertified

Fantastic! Thanks for the upcoming fix, Vesuri!
Old 23 March 2021, 07:55   #66
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuri View Post
I can confirm this is exactly what's causing the issue - not the NewIcon lines.

WHDLoadMenu currently uses all tooltypes as WHDLoad arguments as is except ones starting with one of the following:
  • ;
  • (
  • IM1=
  • IM2=

Apparently » should be added to the list. This will be added in an upcoming release. For now, please comment out that tooltype by adding parentheses around it or by deleting the line altogether. Thanks for the bug report!
Awesome Vesuri! Thank you!
Old 31 March 2021, 00:02   #67
Vesuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
Is it possible to have WHDLoadMenu scan multiple paths?
WHDLoadMenu 1.1, now available from AmiNet, adds the possibility to scan multiple paths. The installer script does not ask for multiple directories so you will need to modify the RunWHDLoadMenu script manually to add more paths. Just add the extra paths right after the one you entered during installation on the WHDLoadMenuScanner line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Stumbled across on weird issue with Tiny Bobble.
WHDLoadMenu 1.1 now ignores » characters in icon tooltypes, which will fix the issue with Tiny Bobble.
Old 31 March 2021, 15:46   #68
Radertified

Thanks for the fixes, Vesuri!
Old 07 April 2021, 09:49   #69
Vesuri

WHDLoadMenu 1.2 is now available and it significantly improves the startup time (almost tenfold) when there are lots of WHDLoad slaves to be displayed.
Old 07 April 2021, 11:32   #70
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
WHDLoadMenu 1.2 is now available and it significantly improves the startup time (almost tenfold) when there are lots of WHDLoad slaves to be displayed.
Works super fast Thank you Vesuri
Old 07 April 2021, 22:23   #71
yelworC

Wow! This is so incredible much faster than before! Great work!

A nice feature would be the ability to somehow open the readme for the selected slave. it sometimes contains useful Info about possible cheats and stuff like that.
Old 08 April 2021, 02:41   #72
lesta_smsc

Quote:
It can be run from a shell, preferably using the provided runner script. When the user selects the applcation to be started from the menu, the menu generates a script which will run the selected application using WHDLoad. After this the menu itself exits and the runner script runs the generated script. This way the menu itself is not in memory at all when WHDLoad is started, leaving the maximum amount of contiguous memory available for WHDLoad.
Interesting. I presume memory flush is done by WHDLoad during start up as well. Can this be modified to say run in reduced bitplanes? This way the games needing the extra bytes will work as the menu itself does not need and more than 2 colours yet this will offer maximum RAM availability for WHDLoad. I've successfully booted many games that needed additional RAM by running from shell in reduced bitplane eg via add21k.
Old 08 April 2021, 09:57   #73
Vesuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Can this be modified to say run in reduced bitplanes? This way the games needing the extra bytes will work as the menu itself does not need and more than 2 colours yet this will offer maximum RAM availability for WHDLoad. I've successfully booted many games that needed additional RAM by running from shell in reduced bitplane eg via add21k.
WHDLoadMenu comes with two user interfaces: a standard Intuition one and a custom one. The Intuition one should work on a single bitplane screen (haven't tested it though). The custom user interface, on the other hand, does not use an Intuition screen at all. When started from the beginning of the startup-sequence, no Workbench screen is opened either. Since WHDLoadMenu is not in memory at all when WHDLoad itself is started, the custom user interface can use all the system memory and all the memory will still be available for WHDLoad. Because of these reasons I'd say no modifications are necessary.

Last edited by Vesuri; 08 April 2021 at 21:47.
Old 15 April 2021, 22:59   #74
Jpor
Banned

Hi. I love this software. Just got around to downloading and installing it.
A couple of questions;

1).. On installation it asks where my game slaves are. I have 2 Partitions setup (DH1: and DH2. I can only manage to get DH1: scanned I.e games 0-9 to R. But can’t get DH2: scanned in as well with S to Z. Am I missing something here? The Whdload menu config won’t allow me to choose more than 1 Partition.

2).. I just love the start up animation of the Amiga Logo, Bouncing ball and the sound. I take it there is no way of having this as a startup animation when you just boot up the Amiga by placing a command in startup-sequence?

Keep up the great work !!!!!
Old 16 April 2021, 07:47   #75
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
1).. On installation it asks where my game slaves are. I have 2 Partitions setup (DH1: and DH2. I can only manage to get DH1: scanned I.e games 0-9 to R. But can’t get DH2: scanned in as well with S to Z. Am I missing something here? The Whdload menu config won’t allow me to choose more than 1 Partition.
You need to add it with a text editor:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=67
Old 17 April 2021, 01:13   #76
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You need to add it with a text editor:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=67
Yep didn’t read the posts before hand... ? My bad!

Have sorted out the path issue now. Used “Ed” instead of the edit program you get with classic workbench. Which for some reason screws it up.

Just to note though. You need to add the extra path in the file as in my example “DH2:” with the quotes. Before you run the actual scan for the database to be created. I.e just after you have installed from scratch.
Unless I’ve missed something here. The database/prefs file has to be blanked off if you need to add new games as it will not pick up any newer games slaves and get added. Maybe something that could be added to version 1.4? As well as a configuration option to add paths etc.. to save on the manual adding afterwards?

Apart from that this is a great piece of software

Thanks for the help
Old 22 April 2021, 13:32   #77
Vesuri

Quote:
The database/prefs file has to be blanked off if you need to add new games as it will not pick up any newer games slaves and get added.

In the Intuition/standard user interface there's a menu item to rescan the slaves. In the custom user interface pressing the Help key will rescan the slaves.

Quote:
a configuration option to add paths etc.. to save on the manual adding afterwards?

Yes, the Installer script needs to be improved in a future release.

Quote:
I just love the start up animation of the Amiga Logo, Bouncing ball and the sound. I take it there is no way of having this as a startup animation when you just boot up the Amiga by placing a command in startup-sequence?

There is currently no way to just play the animation but I could make a separate program out of it when I find the time!
Old 05 May 2021, 14:53   #78
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
In the Intuition/standard user interface there's a menu item to rescan the slaves. In the custom user interface pressing the Help key will rescan the slaves.

Yes, the Installer script needs to be improved in a future release.

There is currently no way to just play the animation but I could make a separate program out of it when I find the time!
Thanks Vesuri
Old 12 May 2021, 11:38   #79
Vesuri

Quote:
On installation it asks where my game slaves are. I have 2 Partitions setup (DH1: and DH2. I can only manage to get DH1: scanned I.e games 0-9 to R. But can’t get DH2: scanned in as well with S to Z. Am I missing something here? The Whdload menu config won’t allow me to choose more than 1 Partition.

Version 1.4 is now available from Aminet and adds the option to choose multiple WHDLoad slave directories during installation.
Old 05 June 2021, 03:01   #80
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Version 1.4 is now available from Aminet and adds the option to choose multiple WHDLoad slave directories during installation.
Thanks Vesuri